What MLS Team Should Detroit Adopt

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by Footsatt, Jun 1, 2012.

?

What MLS Team Should Detroit Adopt

1. Chicago Fire

42.9%
  2. Columbus Crew

28.6%
  3. Toronto FC

57.1%
  4. Philadelphia Union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. LA Galaxy

14.3%
  6. NY Red Bulls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking about officially adopting a MLS team, until Detroit gets their own. I have been watching (when I can) for years, but never really felt connected to a team. I included in the poll the teams that are close to Detroit and the 'big franchise' teams. I thought it would be interesting to see what other teams people follow.

Also, I am planning on signing up to get MLS Live. I am wondering if this could help the MLS cause any way if enough people purchase this service in Michigan?

SYoshonis repped this.
  2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess that the Detroit MLS fan base, such as it is, is probably split 50/50 Fire/Crew. Back in the day, I "adopted" the Fire, mostly because road trips there are so much better than Columbus, but I really can't bring myself to give my whole heart to a Chicago team. Nor Columbus or Toronto, or really any other, to be honest.

I've since resigned myself to being an American version of one of those fans of England who bring their St. George's Cross flag with Altrincham United or whatever written on it to Internationals. When MLS comes to Detroit, I'll be all in. Until then, the Michigan Bucks and USA will suffice for my rooting interest.

3. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in DC and am a United fan. If I still lived in Detroit, I wouldn't root for Columbus or Chicago or Toronto - too many rivalry ties in those cities. I'd probably be a FC Dallas fan since I lived there a couple years (moved from Michigan to Texas and then moved back to Michigan the summer MLS started).

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to get the voting started I submitted 3 votes, because I am still undecided. Here is why I voted these 3. I followed Columbus Crew for a few seasons back when Schelotto was with them and I followed the Fire when Blanco was with them. I continue to follow LA because I like to watch Donovan.

Maybe I should of added more teams to the Poll?

5. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Go with Toronto. They're close enough. And besides, do you really want to support a team from Chicago or Ohio? :sick:

6. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the above. When I first got in to MLS back in the early 2000's I picked Chicago because they were the closest. I just couldn't ever really get into them, so I switched to Columbus. Same thing. For the past three or four seasons I've been trying to support KC (because they're the only Midwestern team left), and DC (because, well it's our nations capitol). And while the lack of rivalries with either city makes it a bit easier to stomach, I still can't really get behind either team. If Detroit never gets a team, and I never really go all in for KC or DC, I might just pick a team for each season (I've been doing that for NFL playoffs for years).

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I wouldn't try to sway you one way or the other I just think this is an interesting discussion so I figured I'd drop my two cents. I guess if I were in your position I'd go with Columbus the reason being the academies there are two reasons here.

1: The likely hood you will get to root for fellow Michiganders; with the Crew's partnership with the Michigan Wolves and with Grand Rapids Crew Juniors talent out of Michigan should start to flow to the Crew.

2: When Detroit gets a team they will get Michigan as their territory hence they will get to take these clubs from the Crew. So any investment the Crew makes in these teams will help Detroit MLS down the line.

For full discloser I'd probably still find it hard to root for a team from Michigan so I certainly couldn't blame anyone for the reverse.

Also I'd make the same argument in reverse Indiana United now being supported by the Chicago Fire.

8. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Motor City Supporters has fans that support Chicago, Columbus (I'm a Crew fan), Toronto and New York. We are pretty much all over the board. No matter what we at least have a good time watching games making fun of each other. ha!

9. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I am going to go with Chicago. Although, that Fire chant can get annoying.

10. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried a few times to get into MLS with Chicago and Toronto, but it's just not clicking at all. I think I'll probably just follow the league with 4 or 5 teams I like but don't really feel anything for and let that be good enough. If Detroit never gets a team, MLS will never get me as a super committed fan and that would suck, but I'll still watch when I'm interested enough.

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much where I'm at also. I'll watch the games, and be interested in who wins our domestic championship and the health of the league in general, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of any MLS team. Soccer is the one sport that I can almost always watch without a rooting interest so I'll watch the games that are on, but until there is a team in Detroit no team will really have my complete attention.