What is your dangerous idea?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Attacking Minded, Jan 4, 2006.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A lot of evidence suggests otherwise but I'm not going to repost what I wrote before.

2. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Keep in mind that the human genome probably hasn't changed in the last 100,000 years. So the idea that wealth causes the gene pool to shift in one direction or another doesn't hold much water, really.

3. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Here's a dangerous idea (for pharmaceutical companies): the majority of emotional disorders in children can be cured by changes in diet, exercise and discipline. This last generation of kids is unnecessarily over-medicated and the psychiatric community has no idea what the long term effects are of shoving all those drugs down kids' throats.

4. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    My dangerous idea - if there is a supreme being that went to all the trouble of creating matter and energy and gravity - it probably couldn't care less whether I believe in it or not, nor whether I get hit by a truck or not

5. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

its probably not that dangerous to big pharm companies - ritalin, prozac, and others will come off patent soon anyway, and little generic factories will corner that market. Anti-depressants are not the biggest health drugs anyway.

The long term effects are probably no worse than previous "cures", ie, application of leather to posteriors, military schools, etc. every adult thinks kids are worse than ever before - every generation.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The idea that we aren't all equal and that there's more to it than the mere 'nurture' factor might be quite dangerous indeed. I believe in it, although as usual it all depends on how you look at it. You can choose to look at the difference, but in spite of the differences we will always have more in common.

My personal most dangerous idea... I dunno. Probably some of the ideas and emotions in my head concerning things and people around me.

7. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Personally - I think that it is dangerous that improvements in genetic science may lead to conclusions (right or wrong), that "all men are NOT created equal". Advances in science (real or false) do not always lead to positive societal attitudes. remember the pseudo-scientific findings that were used to prove some races were inferior? After the holocaust, these were totally rejected in polite society (tho not many rich southern families want their daughters to marry a black or jewish guy).

But currently, insurance companies can charge higher premiums for smokers, as they are likely to have more health problems. Imagine if genetics finds that certain groups of people (racial or not) are much more susceptible to certain diseases or conditions. How would companies and society respond?

8. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Of course we’re not all equal, how could anyone ever claim that.

Realizing that doesn’t mean that some people will not be able to vote or that someone will get a job just because he has good genes.

It’s obvious that being tall helps you be good at basketball. Still, if you can’t play the coach isn’t going to take you over the short guy.

9. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Some pretty influential english terrorists claimed that "all men are created equal" when they said GIRFUY (get it right **** up ya) to the king....

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I am created very lazy.

I don’t expect to be treated as well as people who were created hard working.

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Yeah, this goes in all sorts of directions. It's conceivable that you could be taxed differently at the supermarket for that pound of butter - if your metabolism is good, you pay $3 but if you've got lousy genes, you pay $20.

Of course, it's also conceivable that PETA takes charge and we all eat nothing but algae slop someday in the future.

12. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Who's to say people in the future won't look back and think "How could all those people eat meat and not realize how immoral it was?" in the same way we're baffled by slaveholders of previous centuries.

13. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

scoff at vegetarians all you want, but their food is increasing in quality way faster than non-vegetarian food. I've found fake chicken nuggets that taste 100 times better than McDonalds chicken nuggets, which are presumably the standard all others should be judged by.

A few more years of this, and I won't mind giving up meat altogether.

And if PETA takes charge, I do so fully hope they put some of their hotties from the "I'd rather be naked than wear fur" campaign in very visible positions.

14. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    That is a dangerous idea. Horsecrap, too.

15. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!

16. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Algae slop is good! It's all in how you prepare it.

Poopypants is right about the chicken nuggets, BTW.

17. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Please elaborate, keeping in mind I specifically referred to emotional disorders and not mental illnesses.

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Based on my interpretation of a "disorder," I don't see a difference.

If you agree that treatment of mentall illnesses with medication can be effective, we're close to saying the same thing.