What is Wrong With Some People?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chicago1871, Dec 4, 2006.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I realize that you are using bold letters and thus there is no way of really arguing with you. But, I would say that you would get lots of outrage over someone wanting to take the oath of office in anything other than the Bible. If he had taken it over "Maus" or "Finnegans Wake" there would have been outrage.

The question is whether we in the US are posed to make the leap into outright, sanctioned, (government or not) violence against Muslims. I don't think that is the case. I think our recent election and other anti Administration positions that many are taking is reflective of the fact that people -- people who matter -- are willing to think twice about translating 9/11 into "Arab bashing".

I don't think we have anywhere near the social pressures here in the US because I don't see areas where Muslims are living in specific areas and economically butting heads with whites. To the extent that they do in the Midwest, perhaps that is not true.

I see anti-Arab hate as being very similar to antii-immigrant hate -- the further away you get from actual immigrants, the more anti-immigrant you get. Hence, I don't particularly think a bunch of southern dummie types moaning about Muslims and misegenation and whatever they want to moan about matters. What matters is whether Muslims can pursue their livelihoods and remain secure in their homes in a time of turbulence. That seems to be what is happening. Muslims are not being scapegoated because they are taking others jobs. They aren't being denied entry into the armed services or any other service. And if they are they file suit and they win.

2. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Um, by what standard? Where does significant begin?

20% is huge. When was the last time that president won an election by that much?

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No American party could ever advertise themselves as [more or less] anti any group of people and not see their numbers plummet...oh wait.
    Nor do I.
    Really? I'd say it is a major issue within the Republican party; and within the political landscape as a whole.
    I see what would amount to a small amount of paranoia, but I definitely don't see hysteria.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been addressed, but why would you? The House of Reps doesn't swear their oath on any book, and in no governmental ceremony is a Bible required.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an issue like this a near plurality is significant. So more like 40 - 45%.

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Good point. If I added 20% I would be like scary huge.

To ladies.

7. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    At what point does "fringe" begin?

Bear in mind that disapproval for abortion, for example, depending on the way the question is asked, ranges from 11-61%

8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I don't know. Why would I?

9. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    FYP. :D

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20-25%

11. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Beat me to it. You can swear an oath on any old thing you want, including nothing, and I'm sure thousands of people have...I'm sure thousands have taken an oath on the Koran before testifying in court.

You have to bring your own Koran though, the court will not provide one.

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How about an Orangutang in a zoo? They masturbate anytime on the slightest whim, regardless of their surroundings, and always get a free pass....

Anyway, do these viewpoints actually surprise anyone? I mean you are bound to find a few whack jobs who actually do feel this way for some twisted, misguided reason. Some probsbly are just so full of hate in general, this gave them an outlet to vent with.. Lets not get worked up over a few nut cases.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    So, the percentage of votes President-elect Daniel ortega got in the nicaragua elections, I suppose, was insignificant.

I think significant is 80%. Anything less is insignificant.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it a pluarality?

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a typo of masochistic proportions. I'm not quite sure where I was going with that part of the post.

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    39% of Americans feel that we should slap a Star of David - I mean, a Crescent - on Muslims here in America.

In comparison, just 34% of Americans feel that gay people should be granted no legal recognition of their relationships (ie, no civil union or gay marriage). Yet this is our official policy, and in fact an amendment to the Constitution that would have given this 34% exactly what they wanted had 49 Senators voting on a motion that would have put it to an official "up-or-down" vote.

This is definitely a "nut case" position, but it's not "a few" people. It's a lot of people. Way too many of 'em, in fact.

I think it's serious enough to - at the very least - raise some eyebrows, if not earn some very serious scrutiny.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    39%? Anyone have a link to how the question was phrased because that just doesn't sound right?

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again confirming that you do not read articles that are posted you just jump headfirst into the discussion.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the 2nd part. I was looking for the details of the question itself. Depending on how it was phrased I could see that number being way higher or way lower.

20. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Hey, that would still be fringe, wouldn't it? So why do you care?

21. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    The problem with the Republicans is that they're incompetent and out of touch with reality. We haven't felt the effects of supposed Republican bigotry, but we have felt the effects of Republican favoritism of the wealthy and just plain bad decision-making. Contrary to popular belief, Republicans do not come from Mordor.
    OK, I'll take back "hysteria" but I'll say moderate amount of paranoia. I see you know how to bargain.

22. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Here is the way the question was worded:

"As a means of preventing terrorist attacks in the United States do you favor requiring Muslims to carry a special ID?"

Still a dispiriting and depressing number of positive respondents. But a tad loaded.

However, as a means of preventing OU from ever winning the national championship, I would favor requiring Muslims to carry a special ID.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Wow. That took rocks.

24. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 in every 4 or 5 people constitutes a fringe?

If so, every minority group in the US is 'fringe' according to that level. (See http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2000/dp1/2kh00.pdf)

I think your definition of fringe is about an order of magnitude too large. I would put the definition of 'fringe' at < 3%.

25. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and I found this quote from Dennis Prager, a columnist, radio talk show host, and Bush appointee to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council in Washington D.C.

"Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

You can read the article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/04/AR2006120401219.html