What is truly considered a rest day?

Discussion in 'Player' started by Enxienty, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Enxienty

Enxienty Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Hey guys, tommorow is my rest day and for some reasons I really hate taking these ;) , but i know at the end i need them. My question is, what is really considered a rest day?

Would juggling the ball for around 2-3 hours be bad? Simple ball control exercises and what not as well

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I juggle every day. It is either that or fight with my wife. She says don't do that in the house and I am gone. One of the secrets of being married for 45 years and it helps to be hard of hearing. So what ever she says I say sure no problem.

The day after a hard practice or a hard game should be a rest day. If it is an easy practice you don't need a rest day.

My youngest son is like you he trains in BJJ twice a day in the morning and before he comes home from regular work. 5 days a week on week days and one other day a week. On his rest day he doesn't know what to do with himself.

3. Enxienty

Enxienty Member

Jul 29, 2008
    haha nice, so I guess juggling would be fine then. I actually do need to do stuff on rest days though, if I dont i feel worse the next day for some reason, regards to muscles becoming tighter and what not.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After you work out hard do a cool down if you don't you will have a heck of a time going up stairs after. If you do your recovery time will be less.

5. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I would say on your rest day, disconnect from soccer completely. Go watch a movie, hang out, something else.

rca2 repped this.
  6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    A rest day can be what is called "active" rest, meaning getting some light exercise rather than just vegetate sitting on the couch all day watching TV. The key is that rest is a day off from soccer. That is a mental and physical break.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  7. Thomas21

Thomas21 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Australia
    Make sure the rest day allows your body to recover.

It's also a good idea to let the mind drift away from the game to enable you to train again at 100% effort. Want to avoid the burn out especially early on in your career.

Thomas

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Take a bike ride in HR zone 2 or 3. Go swim. Try to allow your joints to rest.

9. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    That's actually a fine point. I like to schedule a week off completely, every 6-7 weeks. Whenever I do that I come back at a higher level. All the things that I have been previously been working on have had time to settle and have been internalized.

10. Bluesarc

Bluesarc Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Club:
    FC Porto
    go for a jog, play tennis or any other sport(lightly may i add), stretch a little...someone here said go for a swim, thats actually a great idea, its active resting and it's really easy going on your joints so it actually may be your best option(im deffinitly trying this). i would skip juggling, ball exercises, etc....completelly though, rest day is both of mind and body, if you think about football too much you'll get tired at a psychological level(nothing wrong with whatching a game on the tv for leisure though ;) ).

11. mesutozil101

mesutozil101 New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    this has been answered quite well above however I would also like to input! what alot of proffesionals do on their rest days is a light jog, for example Borussia Mönchengladbach jog out for about an hour on sundays ( if there game is on saturday). This loosens up the muscles and you will feel alot better afterwards. If you can, get this jog done in the morning.

12. AL-7

AL-7 New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    I understand how you feel, I also feel uneasy when I'm given a rest day since I'm used to conditioning or practicing.

On my rest days I usually just kick the ball around or juggle, I try not to do anything to strenuous on myself since you never know when you need that extra energy.

13. Eckzotic

Eckzotic Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On my rest days I juggle for about 2 hours, I juggle a size 5 ball, than a ball the size of my fist, then a tennis

14. GOALACITY

GOALACITY New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    When I played professionally our day of rest or recovery day consisted of a light jog and stretch to get rid of the lactic acid. A light pool workout is good as well.

You do not want to do anything too crazy, because you will get burnt especially during long seasons.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    - Ride your bike around the neighborhood for twenty minutes. When you get home have a 20 minute stretch.
    - A two mile run at 10 minute/mile pace with a 20 minute stretch.
    - Swimming is amazing as an off day 'workout'.