What is to be done?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ratdog, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Jiggly's request, I have created a thread for people who want to discuss what fans can actually do to try to force Hauptman (or get the other owners to force Hauptman) to improve the Fire.

This is not the thread to bitch about what a crappy owner Hauptman is. We have already have the "Hauptman Out" thread for that.

It's also not the thread to bitch about Section 8 doing nothing. Yes, Khan, that means you.

In addition, it's not the thread to whine about and try to crap on people who are actually trying to get something going here because you're butthurt that they're not necessarily going through your beloved Section 8. Yes, Es Brennt, that means you.

Below are two great posts by people who are inspired to come up with positive and realistic ideas that fans can actually do without quitting their jobs and becoming full-time protestors.

Let's build on the good ideas and energy here. Let's keep it positive in the spirit of making the team better and remember that shaming Hauptman or calling attention to his and the team's deficiencies are each a means to the end of making the team better and not ends in themselves.

If we can get a program of good ideas together, we can certainly take it to the next S8 board meeting and see if anyone cares. While we do not want "paralysis by analysis", let's come up with things that are positive, specific, relatively low cost and immediately actionable.

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I figure any #HauptmanOut message needs to be accompanied by an explanation of what exactly we're seeking. Maybe something like "This is a family, not a business" with HauptmanOut right under it. #HauptmanOut just doesn't explain what you're angy with

vuvu-sam, seamuslush and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I feel that if we come to an agreement on what we want to do, we can submit it to Section 8 for them to help with the creation process.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!

Season ticket renewals are apparently way down but if we can find a way to let the other owners know WHY this is and what we want as fans so that even the dimmest of them connects the STH decline with the neglect/poor management of the team both on and off the field. So, what specifically do we want? Once we know that, we can find ways to let the other owners know so they can hopefully lean on Hauptman to raise his game. FWIW, here's a first attempt...

1. Quality front office staff who know the league and can work around Hauptman's refusal to put proper resources into the team. This would be someone like Lagerway or Leiwike who can help build a team on the cheap. By spending a bit up front for leaders who know what they're doing, Hauptman can build a quality product AND save himself lots of money down the road which should appeal to his cost consciousness as he waits to cash out on his SUM/MLS investment.

2. A good head coach, one who can add value to a roster that has to make up for a lack of individual quality due to Hauptman's cheapness with better team play.

3. An reasonably sensible operational plan for improvements to the fan experience at TP. How do we keep the ATMs running or avoid selling out of hot dogs before half-time? How do we optimize traffic flows around the stadium before and after games? How do we improve STH gifts, renewal incentives and the kids club premiums from their current off-putting states? The plan should be include measurable goals, action steps and a time frame to reach those goals and the names of who is accountable for each step.

4. A business plan for attracting quality corporate affiliates once we've improved the on-field product and the fan experience that will build the fan base and the fan loyalty that will attract the corporate partners. The plan should be include measurable goals, action steps and a timeframe to reach those goals and the names of who is accountable for each goal in the plan.

seamuslush and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  5. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In order to get the best possible amount of exposure, we should execute the protest during a game that will be on National TV or against big teams.

Games on ESPN 2: 3/29 vs. Philly
    Games on Fox Sports 1: 8/2 vs. FC Dallas
    Games on Univision Deportes: 4/24 vs. NYCFC

We should get the date set so that we have a deadline.

ratdog and P to the Wee repped this.
  6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/29 is almost certainly not going to happen as most of those who are waiting to see if Accam and maybe Maloney can bring a significant improvement will not have made up their minds yet and therefore will not be ready to do anything.

4/24 is a maybe. If we still look like shit then, perhaps a critical mass of people will be angry enough.

8/2 is the most probable for a national TV broadcast.

I would also not overlook the game on 7/11 against Seattle even though it is not nationally televised.

It's a pity LA won't be in town this year.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I mentioned it in my original post and hinted at it at my most recent post, but there is also a closer match against Orlando City on 6/6.

The best matches are: 4/24 vs. NYCFC; 6/6 vs. Orlando City; 7/11 vs. Seattle; and 8/2 vs. FC Dallas.

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Let's prepare some marketing materials and I bet the emergence of a critical mass will help dictate which game works best.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still want to wait until Accam , Magee, Perez, and Nyarko are all healthy and playing. If they still can't score and win we need to once again replace all the people in charge. All we can do is send messages to the fire.

ratdog repped this.
  10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of fans are in the same place you are and that's fine. Hopefully, there will be a significant improvement soon and we can all stand down.

If not, though, we should be organized and ready so we don't get caught unprepared like we were for The Editorial.

seamuslush and bunge repped this.
  11. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should have some bullet points for what we want to see happen. I've put forth four goals in a post above. Can anyone think of anything in addition to my four? If not, I'll see if I can come up with some one sentence summaries.

Alternatively, maybe we can do a Q&A with the questions being fan concerns like "Why do we run out of food at TP?" or "Why hasn't the team been more competitive?" or "Why doesn't the Fire show up in the sports media here?" and then use our goals as answers to how to solve these problems.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  12. A possible talking point could be distilled from this post by Skydog on the Galaxy forum. The thread discussion mainly concerns the recent contract negotiations, but there is plenty to pull from the Soccernomics examples. BTW I own and have read Soccernomics. Substitute the phrase "off cap player salaries" for total payroll and it makes some sense. While the biggest spending clubs don't necessarily succeed in MLS (Yes, you Bull Turds and TFC), the smallest spending clubs like ours don't succeed. Given a larger sample size, I think the big spending>success - small spending>failure trends would hold true in MLS.

seamuslush and ratdog repped this.
  13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think one reason we haven't built consensus yet is that we haven't united on a common cause. Some are frustrated with the play on the field, some with actions like the editorial, others probably have various reasons why they are or aren't upset.

To me, the common thread is a lack of any kind of positive investment from ownership. If for example that is the root cause, how do we turn it into a marketable sound bite?

Or perhaps you're right. Perhaps setting the goals and asking people to align behind them works regardless of where they stand.

Redmaynard, seamuslush and ratdog repped this.
  14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this: Having multiple objections helps build coalitions.

Yes, the source is that we're angry because we see the owner as not caring and therefore not trying and that apathy towards his own team manifests in several different ways. People will put up with a certain finite amount of incompetence if they believe that you are making a good faith effort. The last straw for many of us was the realization that McMeddler doesn't really care about the Fire. At best the team is a plaything he can meddle with until he gets bored and wanders off in search of the next white party.

I could be wrong but I suspect that just saying "Andy doesn't care about us" is not going to galvanize action in the way that showing them the practical impact of that apathy has on their own experience at TP - running out of food, laughable fireworks, cheap game day programs, raccoons in the Skyway, and yes, an unwatchable team on the field - can do.

Thoughts?

Saeyddthe and seamuslush repped this.
  15. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Friendly reminder that this is an open forum. All your plans will be betrayed. That said, and if this comes off as paralysis by analysis, kindly ignore:

I think for any attempt at a large protest to be effective, we have to build an environment where it will be accepted. Please note that I am not competent.

Laying the groundwork activities:

- Find like minded people. Planning, planning, planning. Determine goals, means, methods. (This is what you are doing now!:))
    - Create propaganda to educate, engage and expand the base.
    - Matchday newsletter - @Chris M. mentioned the Blue Line. I like this idea, but don't know about the costs involved, and I am poor. I really liked the idea of a general fact sheet/business card/handout mentioned in another thread.
    -Talking to other fans/supporters/etc

Ramping up activities:

- Form a supporters group to interact with the ISA:unsure:, or do so as individual supporters.
    - Find Expert assistance as needed
    - Fund-raise :unsure:. #HauptmanOut scarf funds #HauptmanOut Tifo? Great #HauptmanOut bakeoff allows you to give away cookies frosted with "Re-Spark our Fire"?
    - Continue education activities.
    - Planning, planning, planning.

Larger Protest activities:
    - Keep it secret. Keep it safe.
    - Act Educate Repeat

I see at least five audiences for activities, intended or otherwise.

1) Our fellow supporters, fans, customers, etc - Activities should foster engagement.
    2) The Fire FO - Activities should encourage institutional change.
    3) The league office/Garber - Activities should alert the league to the problems posed by current franchise ownership.
    4) The other owners - Activities should alert the other owners to the cost incurred to their finances by current franchise ownership.
    5) The American soccer public and media - Activities should foster attention to the problems facing Chicago Fire supporters

Jiggly_333, An_Architect and ratdog repped this.
  16. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you are correct. What is a good way to get across the point that ownership has failed our glorious past, is responsible for the misery of the present, and threatens our glorious future?

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    "this is a club/family, not a business.
    We are supporters, not consumers/costumers"

Jiggly_333, Mikebsiu, bunge and 3 others repped this.
  18. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How much does a billboard cost?

19. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It varies by location and size. The Red Bull Out billboard fundraising goal was $3200 (space for at least a month, as well as printing and installation). If a billboard by TP is something people were interested in:

- Call Lamar and other brokers, see what space is available, get quote
    - Raise Funds, solicit designs
    - Pick a few designs, go to billboard company and see what they would accept design wise (Andell Out more likely to be acceptable than HauptmanOut?)
    - Place order

rooked, kenosis, loonixxx and 1 other person repped this.
  20. psher

psher New Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Personally I think on a quick info graph the lack of success the team has had with Andy as the owner would be the best well. The lack of play off appearances, no trophies, dismal regular season record. Pull people in with that and present the rest like TP fails over and over. To the falling attendance.

I don't think the protest need to be on a notional board cast unless S8 comes in late or stands silent. The chances of a broadcaster showing our negative tifo is not likely.

I have no problem pulling the info on pre and post Andy but I won't be able to until overnight Wednesday.

Jiggly_333 and seamuslush repped this.
  21. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of good thoughts here.

Obviously, we know that zombieFire management reads these boards and that's great. I don't care if they know what's going on for most of this.

You are correct that if any large scale in-stadium protest is called for then that will need planning off the boards.

22. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    So you want to wait until 2016?

rooked, LIZZIE, HeyFireGO and 1 other person repped this.
  23. An_Architect

An_Architect Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If we wait that long iron will be back and we'll just devolve into mindless bickering again.

But yeah, I can't see waiting until Magee/Nyarko "gets back" personally. That's like saying 2013 was acceptable because Magee almost saved the season. It was a crap season with a crap team thanks to a crap owner.

Anyway, I'm not wasting a post to spout recomments, I also have suggestions mostly based on Seamuslush's post above.

The very first post I ever made here on BS was a suggestion for people who canceled season tickets: if you are serious about change (and economically able to do so) you have $200+ at least dollars you saved by not purchasing season tickets. If you usually buy a jersey each season and didn't last/this year (because of the Andy-Kit) you'd have $85-150 dollars saved. Take a portion of that, find some friends and make something to hand out at games - Hauptmanout t-shirts, stickers, buttons, ponchos, whatever.

I've wondered before exactly how large the Hauptmanout movement is, it seems large online, but how large is it really, how informed is the average fan, how interested in actively participating in a visual hauptmanout display is the average fan, etc?

It seems to me that even a small group of people, united together and possessing a bit of cash, could spark something in a larger group of people, without needing that larger group of people to be previously united/informed. I.E. I personally am not going to make a Hauptmanout banner and bring it to a game, however I would slap a #Hauptmanout sticker over the sponsor stripe on a jersey I was wearing if one was handed to me at the tailgate. I'm willing to bet, if the Hauptmanout sentiment is as large as it seems, there are a significant number of like-minded people at every game.

Perhaps I'm too idealist (or not enough and we can motivate a sweeping Hauptmanout display), but I see keeping it simple and somewhat spontaneous as the most likely way to initialize a gameday display. (And it's hard to anticipate/prevent by management, even if they read about it...)

ratdog and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  24. FrenFan

FrenFan Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is a fantastic idea.

25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyarko is the most iffy but accam,magee and perez should be playing together in june. Like most of you I would love to see andy sell the team to someone else that is willing to spend and knows who to put in charge but all the billboards and other protests aren't going to make him sell.