What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

2. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know exactly what caused the delay?

3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    1535108974248243200 is not a valid tweet id

Chesco United and schrutebuck repped this.
  4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Canada 4 Curaçao 0 last night.

Alphonso Davies missed most of the final round of WCQ. He played last night. He had two goals and showed that he’s still the best player in Concacaf. He was a menace.

The game could have easily had a much higher score.

Chesco United and IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Abzi recently announced to a club in French Ligue 2.

Now it looks like Loturi may be on his way to the SPL.

Rumours swirling that Akio is going to be transferred, too.

The CPL obviously has issues and needs some changes, but it sure is giving young Canadians a platform to different leagues around the world.

All of these guys would have been out of the game without the CPL.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really like their attack

Davies, Osorio, Larin, David, Cavallini, Ugbo

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe better than League One. He might be going to Luton Town in Championship. This would be CPL most prestigious transfer after only 4 years of existence

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sounds like Mark Anthony-Kaye might be on the move.

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    TFC really need help at CM. Other teams can drive a truck through their midfield. MAK would help. I expect them to move Salcedo, too.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    After the u20 performance, at least we can get back on topic.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Next thing I'll hear is that Dominican Republic is about to become a CONCACAF superpower based on that tournament.

U23 would have been a better indicator. There hasn't been a U20 camp in over 3 years

13. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    u20 and u23 doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things. There was a time when missing those tournaments was catastrophic for us as it was the only way our players would be scouted and get opportunities to play professionally.

Now we have a 19 year old player that wasn't even called up to the team who scored 6 in his last 7 in the CPL and is days away from a transfer to the Championship or League 1. I'm glad he didn't get named to the u20 team. It was better for his career to keep playing with his club side.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Pepple was too old to play for the u20s. ‘03 is the cutoff year.

CANPRO repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They mean less to the extent that key guys are missing as then they aren’t the most reflective of the talent pool in that age group. This is why I wasn’t too concerned when the US failed to qualify for the last Olympics as the team they sent to qualifying was nowhere near the beat guys.

Canada also has a fairly young team at the senior level so they’ll be ok for awhile. But in the longer term the goal needs to be for their youth teams to be roughly on the level of the US and Mexico.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think one bad U20 tournament means anything.
    Just like one bad U20 tournament from Mexico doesn't mean anything.

Canada, however, hasn't just had one bad U20 tournament.
    They haven't qualified for the last 7 U20 World Cups in a row now.

The last time they went to a U20 WC was in 2007, which was when they hosted. So they didn't have to qualify.
    That seems like ages and ages ago.

So if qualifying for the U20WC is a priority for Canada, they have to ask themselves some tough questions at the federation level. Are they putting this team in a position to succeed? We know the talent is there.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They didn't have a league up until 3 years ago. Canada will be fine in the following cycles.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't doubt that the talent is there NOW.

The federation has to ask if they're preparing this group in the right manner.
    Are they having enough camps and preparation? Did they need a different type of coaching staff?
    How is the scouting at this level? Are they calling in the right players?

There's no way that Mexico or the US would say "we'll get 'em next time" after the 7th qualification failure in a row.
    Something has to change.................................

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's not much the CSA can do going forward except funding the programs with the extra money they will get from the World Cup and subsequent world cups going forward. That's a crucial detail to keep in mind - while the Mexico and the US both enjoyed decades of extra cash, Canada didn't. Going forward - this will drastically change the CSA structurally and more camps are expected to be organized.

As many former NT managers and you just pointed out, talent isn't the problem. The issues has always been providing enough minutes and playing opportunities at a good level domestically - a role MLS could never fully fulfill

The latest dispute between the players and the CSA shed some light on the deal with CSB - which the players don't seem to understand its structure. CSB has a 10 year deal with the CSA with an additional 10 year option. CPL/CSB will be investing half a billion within this decade to revamp the pyramid from scratch from D1 to D5 copying Hockey Canada's structure to some extend. In a nutshell - the CSA outsourced the pyramid to CSB minus the management of the National Teams and governing matters.

CPL owners who created and control CSB started the Canadian Premier League, have plans for a D2 and purchased Ontario's D3 (men/women). They helped launched BC D3 and are expected to acquire it along with PLSQ which will be rebranded under the new structure
    League 1 Canada (41 clubs)
    [​IMG]

All of this is providing much needed opportunities and minutes for players to develop and the emergence of new coaches such as Bobby Smyrniotis and Tommy Wheeldon Jr. The other side effect of this is scouting by replicating what works so well with Hockey Canada in the context of Canada and its unique sets of challenges. They are filling the gap between grassroots/amateur to Pro and are already spreading everywhere. All the talent will be funneled it to the graphic above where the CPL will select the best up and coming.

As for selecting the right players, there was always a bias for MLS academy players over anything else. With CSB growing influence over the CSA, the selection process is expected to be far more inclusive. This makes sense as far more younger players will be playing consistent minutes at pro level. This is something that the national teams coaches won't be able to ignore.

With CSB providing all of this value (forgot executives and referees development) - they aren't doing it for free. They collect all the profits from holding all of the CSA media/marketing rights after paying the CSA (which is starving for revenues) a flat fee. CSB can payout more but this is where it would come at a cost - like having more of a say on soccer matters in Canada.

So yes - things are changing mostly due to CSB/CPL being so involved in the game here but as I said earlier - this will take time to bear fruits.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Mexico and USA have money. You can hold camps with money. You can hire lots of staff with money. You can scout with money.

The CSA president said in an interview this year that if the CSA suddenly had money, the first thing he'd do is fund youth national team camps.

Our youth teams underperform. They aren't set up for excess. Our coaches and administration have no doubt been terrible. But the Canada program just can't come up with millions of dollars to properly fund these programs to ensure success like the U.S and Mexico can. The money just isn't there. It doesn't exist.

onefineesq and gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This is a pretty damming look at the CSA. It seems they went all in with CSB on a contract that has 0 upside. The lack of transparency and comments from recent board members is shocking.

Even when we finally have success on the field on the men's side, it seems the CSA is more unstable than ever and doing everything in their power to ruin everything. And when I say CSA I mean Bontis and Cochrane are acting like dictators who refuse to be accountable to anyone for anything.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Trading upside for money now and certainty is not fundamentally a bad choice. Money in 2030 doesn't help you as much as money now.

That said, while I know Canada hadn't qualified for the WC in a while, and I know Canada is only about 40M people ... $3-4M a year for national team rights on that timeline seems way off. The last USSF/SUM deal was $30M a year but there's been massive inflation. $3M a year probably would have been high for the 2010-2018 term or so ... but it's too low, period for the timeline.

As the article notes, they know there's a World Cup in 2026 that the men will be in. They know the women are likely to be good. They knew the men had a shot at this given that Alphonso Davies and others were already players.

I don't feel especially bad for the players; the Federation has a lot of building to do and giving the players a deal like the US players has means a lot of other stuff doesn't get done. I don't even think the CSB deal is all that relevant to them -- is the prize money even involved directly here?

But it feels like the option should have been higher. The only upside is that any excess will go to support your pro league, which, like any young league, is far from assured success.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I get what you and Robert are saying.

But you weren't eliminated, and fail to qualify, for this event by losing to the richer federations (US and Mexico).
    In fact you drew with the US.

You lost to Cuba and were eliminated by Guatemala.

I think its time for Canada to stop making excuses at the youth levels. There's always an excuse.
    Do you guys think the Dominican Republic had money for this?
    They're going to the U20WC and the Olympics. You're not.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but you're financially not competing with England and Germany here.

Coming out of the COVID restart, the USSF sent out a tweet soliciting for donations from the public to fund their youth national teams. They're scraping by.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm not making excuses for our youth teams. I'm responding to the point that you cannot compare our program to the U.S and Mexico when it comes to resources for youth teams over the last year or two. That's it. Nothing more. Our underperformance has been dreadful. No one is arguing with that.

For the 2017 u20 cycle, Rob Gale held 6 camps. Many of those were in Central America. We even went to England and beat England 2-1.

For the cycle in 2015, we had lots of camps, going all over the place.

Rob Gale's mantra was - the players had underperformed in the past because there weren't sufficiently acclimatized to these environments. Therefor having lots of camps in Central America would ensure the players nerves didn't get the better of them when in mattered at the actual qualifying tournament.

Do you know what happened? The players still blew it when it mattered at the actual tournaments. All that preparation made no difference.

This latest cycle had Mauro Biello as the coach. He used to coach the Montreal Impact when Didier Drogba played for them. He is also an assistant at the MNT. He also coached the u23 team. You'd think his pedigree would be sufficient. It looked like he didn't really know what he was doing. It's hard to explain.

Everyone understands these results are unacceptable. How does the CSA change them? More players in professional environments was supposed to be the difference in this edition (according to everyone at the V's board!) It had no effect. Canada had the 2nd most amount of pro minutes on their roster at the tournament behind the U.S. It didn't look like it on the field.

Yes we tied the U.S, but it was a fluke result. Anyone who watched the game would tell you the score should have been 5-0 for the U.S.

So what's the answer? I have absolutely no idea.

Enhanced preparation hasn't worked. A former professional coach who works along side the golden boy John Herdman didn't help. Getting players into pro environments didn't help.

I don't know what can be done to ensure success in the future. If anyone else knows, please post a reply.