What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    19 year old Liam Millar, on loan from Liverpool, scores for Kilmarnock
    1172894444594638851 is not a valid tweet id
    Against the USMNT, expect him as a sub to Hoilett or Davies

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada should be pressing Tomori full court to try and get him back into their side. I’m sure he fancies England but he’d be a massive get for them

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I dont think we'll know anything until the Euro 2020. If England doesn't pick him, I believe he'll have a decision to make.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Alphonso davies played a solid 30 minutes at LW for Bayern Munich in a 1-1 draw with Leipzig

Atiba Hutchinson is back from injury and even scored for Besiktas

Cyle Larin just scored for his Belgian club Zulte Waregem

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re likely right. Will def be interesting to see. I suspect he stays with England tho.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jonathan David keeps scoring in Belgium. Before testing the USMNT defense, next stop is Europa League against St.Etienne.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2 Canadians (Arfield & Millar) made the team of the week in Scottish Premiership 52A66E2A-160B-4EB0-AC67-DC12928EE152.jpeg.f85b97f8fc881926a271ea65b015846e.jpeg

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_results

they play fewer games a year than we do, against weak opponents (other than in tournaments).

2015 non WCQ/GC oppo: Guatemala, Iceland, PR, Ghana
    2016 non WCQ oppo: USA, Azerbaijian, Uzbekistan, Mauritania, Morocco, ROK
    2017 non WCQ/GC oppo: Bermuda, Scotland, Curacao, Jamaica, ES
    2018 (4 games, only 1 friendly!!) non NLQ oppo: NZ
    2019 (no friendlies, only official contests)

last friendly Canada played was March 2018, ie, before Russia

my guess, some combination of less funding or less ambition/drive

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's hilarious how Don Garber feels that the Canadian Soccer Association should work for MLS

Also, he's not going to make more fans here with his ridiculous warnings
    • “I am excited about the development of the CPL,” Garber said. “But we do need to work together to figure [things] out. The Canadian Soccer Association needs to figure out how they’re going to engage with Major League Soccer teams that are investing millions and millions and millions of dollars per team, not including what they’ve invested in their academies and in their infrastructure, to ensure that that investment is going to help develop the Canadian player, and help justify the investment that they are making, otherwise that investment is going to go away, because right now, it’s not making that much sense.”
    It won't go away, it will be reallocated in the right place, that's all

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSA’s response should be... stay in your lane don

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's news to me that it was the CSA job to produce MLS players...

Also, he's not happy that the CSA is blocking Vancouver and Montreal from having a USL team as reserve squads while CPL don't want them
    • "Now at some point that needs to be resolved or the Canadian player is not going to get developed as effectively as they need to get developed. Right now, the Whitecaps don’t have a USL association because they’re not permitted to have a USL team here in Vancouver. Toronto has a USL 3 team, and there are a wide variety of reasons for that, and Montreal they had an affiliation [with USL side Ottawa Fury].” Garber

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    To be fair, there is a competition integrity issue here which Germany and Spain come down on similarly. That the II team cannot be first division. That the II team cannot rise above a point in the pyramid.

You can go around and around on it. The roster fluidity up to the first team, down to the second team, and loans between, are built into the MLS/USL ground rules. If the other CPL teams can't get reinforcements from above, or send players back and forth, why can you? This is a running issue with USOC.

You should be able to get around the first para point by saying this is the highest level team in Canada's pyramid. There wouldn't be two Toronto FC teams in CPL. There is just the one. That negates the sort of "Dortmund II" issue of established standalone teams not wanting to be finishing behind not just Dortmund but their youth team.

But you would still have a competition integrity issue of player movement if you use the USL template. We tolerate player movement, even though some teams are standalone and can't draw on the resource. I think that's a minor league sports model where it's a nice thing for the fans if once in a while a major leaguer is down on the farm. But some might see that as a distortion from set roster rules. I assume CPL wants to think of itself as an end in itself. OK, you then might find it annoying if some teams want more fluid rosters or to use MLS players against teams with constant CPL rosters.

I think in the post NASL world we are used to coordination and the smaller league "playing ball." The one that didn't play ball is gone. I think we also are OK with the current structure because there are successful non affiliates competing for USL glory, and many of the II teams aren't very good. if MLS expansion petered out, and II teams dominated, would USL independents be as happy to coexist?

In terms of Canada specifically, it feels like their model is the CFL, and you don't just loan back and forth. You pick one. If you are cut in one you can join the other. Players who leave CFL for NFL midseason get blackballed. They might be able to get even better rosters on an annual basis by linking up with NFL, but that could be understood as a hierarchy, and would leave rosters in flux. They want to be their equivalent of MLS no matter how they compare now.

I could also see where their USOC-style roster limits -- 5 internationals per game, 7 rostered -- intended to promote Canada, might come under pressure if they let in affiliates. I think Americans, particularly Eurosnobs, like to frame everything up in terms of the best players from the best teams, "capitalism," and finesse whether that is actually helping the NT. I think MLS does Canada limited good as-is and they probably should protect the CPL as a domestic soccer resource to bolster the team.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Milan Borjan conceded 3 goals in a 3-0 loss to Bayern Munich in Champions League. Alphonso Davies was an unused sub.

Tomorrow in Europa League
    • Jonathan David with (BEL) Gent vs. (FRA) St-Etienne
    • Scott Arfield with (SCO) Rangers vs. (NET) Feyenoord
    • Atiba Hutchinson with (TUR) Besiktas vs. Slovan Bratislava (SLO)

wixson7 repped this.
  14. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Canada has same issue as us

No players

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We have tons of players , our problem is that they are all journey men at best.

No one is world class and yes... Pulisic is nowhere near world class but is a decent journeyman

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also, not having a domestic league who's adamant on playing young players to further their development was a huge reason for not producing more global stars besides the "exceptions" like David and Davies.

That's another reason why Don Garber and MLS are so raw at the CPL & CSA refusing to act like their personal developmental tools.

As I posted earlier, he's made because
    • CSA blocking Vancouver & Montreal to relaunch reserve teams in USL
    • CPL refusing to allow MLS reserves in the league
    • CPL not prioritizing MLS at the time of selling top talents.
    CPL gives minutes to U21 players and lots of it. That's why guys like Terran "Hulk" Campbell, Ongaro, Attardo and Verhoeven are leapfrogging in terms of development.

Where MLS wanted some kind of "deal"/"preferential" treatment for players like these, CPL sees MLS like every other leagues.

Centennial repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #2567 juvechelsea, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    i get the "NIMBY" argument that canada doesn't exist to serve MLS, and the "own road" attitude of canada doesn't have to xerox how the US structures pro soccer, but these are posturing basically. my response would be in terms of practical plans, how are they thinking about improving canadian soccer? that seems to begin and end with CPL which as i understand it is currently offering USL salaries, ie, about $30k USD.

i keep up with CFL actually, but if that's the template, it's well set-up to be uniquely canadian but not really handled in a way to challenge the NFL for quality at all.

i think shutting out the II teams feels like more of a rules integrity or purity thing as opposed to people sat down and thought about how can canadian soccer be made better. cause players might prefer to stay in USL for the same money, in or near a MLS pipeline as opposed to in a standalone league that only does the odd loan deal. and even if you wanted the purity to compete to bring back talent the salaries have to be more than USL money.

i do believe that having your own pro domestic league can serve as a boon to the NT by providing a baseline level of players no matter how the expeditionary players do in their foreign clubs, which can vary. it can also in theory provide a home base where domestics are never denied -- though MLS is eroding on this. but if the players don't even make CFL money what is the level of player willing to take on the baseline league????

i also don't think you have to be a xenophobe to see where the way MLS' roster rules treat US and Canadian players waters down the gains you should get from having Canadian teams in a league that pays decent. i mean, total up the canadians on all three teams. it's not that many. 40 players maybe? and not all of them start or are any good. you could ask for more canadians on MLS teams in canada. if they won't play ball, CPL could step into that breach but at USL wages my bet is you just move a chunk of USL across the border, same level money, same level play, does this really move the meter any??

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We don't know the salaries but on average, CPL should be paying more as of now and the increase will outpace USL by a large margin in coming years.

I know that CPL aren't in a hurry to launch their own academies which would be viewed as`"competing" against existing academies. Cooperation is the preferred route as CPL owners view them as very expensive in regards to the return they've produced when looking at the MLS system. They prefer letting academies do their own thing and work with them.

Those academies produced : Liam Millar, Cyle Larin, Jonathan David, Alphonso Davies, Mark Anthony Kaye, Jonathan Osorio & more. They are capable so CPL should just cooperate and help in my opinion.

It's not the CPL ambition to "rival" MLS. They are focus on being a D1 league capable of competing against other D1 leagues in the region. We have to recognize that they've succeeded at that in their inaugural year.

MLS might have teams in Canada, but CPL has access to over 2/3 of the population unopposed. The potential for growth is still quite interesting.

Reserve teams would devalue the league which in term wouldn't get the influx of money it did without them. (Media deal, sponsors, rich ownership etc..) This allowed the league to provide a better pro environment which would have been harder to pull off with the reserve team. Even USL Championship realizes that.

I think that the salary are already above USL on average while "healthcare is included". I read articles where players were complaining about USL low pay, no healthcare and having to work part-time to make a living. Without giving numbers, CPL said that pros would be making a living wage allowing them to just focus on their careers, which isn't the case across the board in USL.

With the direction MLS is going and the stats on American minutes going down and youth minutes being small, if you're a Canadian player witnessing the inaugural season, CPL becomes more attractive than USL which already proved that other leagues are paying attention and can be a plateform to move to higher league.
    • Tristan Borges is guaranteed to be sold to Europe, this will convince more youth players on the merits of CPL vs. USL One or Ottawa
    • David Choiniere refused to resign with Montreal Impact to avoid being loan to USL Ottawa. He signed with Forge because he thought playing continental football would be better for his career. He scored the winning goal in CONCACAF League against Antigua
    • Ryan Telfer joined York9 because he refused to let TFC loan him to USL Ottawa. He credited CPL for being called up by Trinidad and TFC recall him
    • Marcel Zajac was eligible to the MLS Superdraft but signed pro with CPL instead mentioning how little opportunities draftees got over the years.

Players are paid according to their experience\performance. Players like Marcel De Jong and others who where playing in Europe would not have took a massive paycut for CPL. They are paid at a salary that works for them and their families.

If we're talking about guys who were drafted or signed out of D3 then no, they aren't earning that much. They are unproven at pro level and are playing for their next contracts or to be sold to a higher league. Guys line Ongaro, Ingham and Campbell are a bargain for the league at the level their are performing, If they aren't sold, then they will get quite the increase in salary.

Yes, CPL is proving that it provide better opportunities for a Canadian than USL. There's the Canadian Championship, the CONCACAF league and you're playing in a fully professional D1 league who can bridge you to opportunities to higher leagues.

Within the soccer circles here and that's lots of current/former players attesting to this. USL is viewed as a "dead-end" for career progression for Canadians who aren't stars like Kaye, Davies or Osorio. Could some of the CPL players fit on MLS squads? Yes and that was Marc Dos Santos saying that after being eliminated by Cavalry while acknowledging that mistakes were made in player's evaluation. However, there are the roster rules limiting their access to MLS so USL was their only option for years. It was either that, move abroad or give up.

CPL is providing that choice that was missing with the mandate of providing the opportunities to advance one's career. I expect more Canadians that will ask to be let go or not resign to be able to go to CPL after witnessing the inaugural season. They will either move on or be CPL players at a good wage.

John Herdman dedicated Mauro Biello to scout CPL for the national team. Carducci was called up. There aren't any for USL and you're unlikely to be called up if you play there in the future

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    23-25 player rosters. Story I read is $750k cap. That's about $30k/player, simple math. As with NWSL, if you were to pay one or more in excess of the average, then someone else's ox gets gored.

My understanding is a garden variety USL player makes $25-30k. That on teams that throw around a little cash, some players make more. I don't think that's at someone's expense.

None of that is published so we don't know. But that's what's out there.

I get you're saying it won't rival MLS, but as someone who remembers when in USOC and CCL the front end of the minors used to compete with the back end of MLS for talent. When we didn't pay reserves didly, ie, $10k contracts, an offer to start in the minors at $30k was more attractive.

I say this because the implication of what I wrote is right now you're fighting USL for quality and talent. If all you are is a Canadian equivalent to USL, then you are actually set up for a tough fight because the USL has tons of teams, including in Canada, is established, similar salaries.

I think you're taking it like, oh, he wants it more like MLS out of a similar xerox philosophy. My concern is more where is your niche if you actually feel like USL. If you're just an unambitious (no MLS ambitions), unaffiliated (no MLS loan players) version of USL, it boils down to do you want local soccer. To me when USL was at that stage teams went in and out of business constantly.

Part of what I am concerned about is what is the staying power of an unambitious league that doesn't pay different than USL. 3 teams over 4k attendance.

I get the sentiment that we're going to be controlled and keep salaries down but I also think at a point of salaries it's going to be a similar sort of minor league level player and weak attendance. There were multiple iterations of US leagues until MLS, and even it struggled for years and nearly folded.

I also think in competitiveness terms that until you play more canadians at the MLS teams, or until you pay more at CPL, how is this going to help the NT? i know canada takes some pride in having players spread all over but as with the USMNT right now, it matters if they start and play or not. at this roster structure for MLS and pay rate for CPL where is the incentive to come home and play in canada instead???

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #2570 juvechelsea, Sep 19, 2019
    to me it is like CFL to football in Canada. it creates a pro destination in-country. there becomes more reason to stick with football. but if the idea was to compete with the US at football, it's almost set up to be second rate. if i have quality i am abroad or in mls. and then as with CFL the issue becomes will enough people watch to sustain the economics of a league of even that type.

to me most nascent leagues trying to build up domestic quality, eg, A-league in Australia, have carved out at least one cap exception so that the bigger talents can come home and the product is more attractive. i question whether MLS has gone too far, but even one exception starts bringing talent home and building off of it.

to me it's like pre MLS US soccer, too restrained to be exciting and viable economically, and then also too restrained to have a big impact in terms of raising the level of the NT.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2571 Robert Borden, Sep 19, 2019
    Yes but like I said, there are different pools of players which the league actually made public before building the rosters.

Obviously, pool 1 & 5 will earn more money than the other pools. The guys we're talking about (USL or L1O) are pool 2. CPL won't pay above market value for them when they come in. However, which league is more likely to pay a Terran Campbell or Noah Verhoeven or Kyle Bekker at Pool 1 salary? CPL.

1- Foundational
    Top Canadian players already playing pro at a high level.

2. Up-and-coming
    Players coming up through various systems, such as Ontario's League 1 or other developmental leagues who have a future but aren't on big-name teams or maybe haven't been included in the national team system. It could also include players in, say, third division European leagues who aren't making much money.

3. Home territory
    Contain players that a team would identify to the league as coming from their immediate or regional market, and would be important to fan support and development

4. Canadian universities and colleges
    University draft + trial players

5. Open market

Depends on the team but I've read horror stories too where some saw very low wages.

CPL offers livable wages to pool 1-2-5 according to reports, 1 & 5 earns more on average than 2.

Pool 3 & 4 are the teenagers given opportunities from academies and university draftees who are still in school and allowed to return to their University teams when CPL season ends or when their semester resumes. Understandably, they are paid far less but still paid.

Average salary doesn't always tell the whole story

Not sure I fully understood you but playing time is important to players. Being payed more to be an MLS bencher or loaned to USL is now being viewed as unattractive to players. We have Choiniere and others who took a risk with CPL instead of resigning more lucrative deals with MLS knowing they wouldn't see 1st club minutes.

Makes sense for US based clubs as those players costs a precious international spot but that says a lot about the academy system of the Canadian based clubs which have been poor at integrating their youth to 1st team. Players have caught up to it and you can expect more opting for CPL in the future unless they have a clear opportunity at MLS minutes.

Only 2 teams in Canada, one is D3 while the other is poorly managed.

That's the thing thought...CPL is in a better position to get Canadians players to join it's league due to wage, exposure, CONCACAF League, National team opportunity and its sanction as Division 1. There's undeniably more upsides than USL.

I'm not talking American players.

As for overseas, CPL is in a position to become the most attractive option too (salary, continental tournament & the league opened the door at exploring the MLS model of DP) there's a willingness to increase the quality of international acquisitions in the near future

CPL actually have big ambitions for itself, it just doesn't see MLS as a factor as much as people are trying to imply. It wants to be Canada's D1 league. It is

It wants to be able to be competitive at CONCACAF level. It is

It wants to be among CONCACAF top league. It can.

They are doing their own thing and arent micro-worrying about MLS or USL. They created an environment that's attractive to Canadians. All I'm saying is that it's more likely that Canadians will choose it. As for internationals, every league are competing, it's not a USL vs CPL thing

It's less than 5 months old. USL is several years old and just starting to pay decent wave and look more professional. I'd say CPL is ambitious and building towards it.

Calgary might not have that much attendance on average but they have the most expensive tickets in the league and are most likely making the most money on tickets. (They charge more than some MLS teams).They also happen to have one of the richest ownership group in the league in the Southern Family (Not sure how much Bob Young is worth but he sold his company to IBM for $34B)

York9 might have low attendance but are making a lot in corporate revenue. Not playing in their own market has an impact on attendance but they are backed by a very wealthy ownership as well.

The owners are very rich and you shouldn't underestimate their ambition. Bob Young has already express where he sees the league long term.

There are other European leagues with similar overall attendances or less, yet their national teams are ranked high, they have high quality and wages. CPL is 5 months old and clearly chose the Scandinavian/European model over the classi North American model. It's a waste of time to compare a 300M nation to a 36M nation. You have to go at it differently, hence the different business model.

MLS found a model that allowed it to survive and thrive in an environment where 4 mega leagues already existed.

CPL exist in an entirely different set of circumstances and adopted a business plan allowing it to do the same that works for it.

If your measuring stick is MLS, than no CPL will never be that but it can be like Denmark, Norway, Sweden in the short to medium term and build up hoping to average 10k in the long term. It takes time but it took measures to ensure that it was feasible or they would have never launched in the first place.

CPL can already help in goal and defense. Carducci has been called up. If De Jong wasn't hurt, he'd be a top option at LB. We're very vulnerable at CB and Vitoria, Straith or James arent long term options. We have no one outside of Cornelius and Henry. Unless you point me towards a CB developing in MLS (yes I know about Miller), it wi come from CPL. Gasparatto, Zator and Didic are young and prime candidates to be integrated.

As for level of play, I invite you to watch/rewatch the Canadian Championship games and CONCACAF league. That's a 5 month old league putting out this quality. It has nowhere but to go up from here.

As for MLS, it isn't the end all be all. No one is arguing that CPL is above MLS and of course a regular starter at MLS is better for the program as of now. However, if we're talking USL vs. CPL, it's CPL that's the better choice.

Like I said...Herdman dedicated Biello to scout CPL. I have yet to hear about a dedicated scout for USL, there won't be one.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I point at CFL for lack of ambition. CPL has more ambition but learned from CFL mistakes.

You'll notice that CPL didn't make implanting teams in MLS market a priority. It has over 30M potential fans to work with and MLS making the choice to stay out is good for CPL. The league is putting teams everywhere else while surrounding the 3 MLS clubs in their suburbs.

NFL did what MLS couldn't... making itself relevant for the 30M Canadians who dont have a team.

Unlike NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA...MLS isn't the best league in the world.

You cant assume that outside the existing MLS markets, up to 30M Canadians will automatically think less of CPL because of MLS. They already know that MLS isn't the best league either but having a club in their community to cheer on is more attractive for someone in the prairies or Atlantic Canada than cheering for 3 clubs they have no rapport with.

That's why the league are leaving the 3 cities for last.

The league has opened the door to doing that.

It already positioned itself to contribute and it's 5 months old.

With the media deal and sponsorship they got (post making all the roster rules), they've ensured a long term presence, something the CSL could never do. They took all the smart steps to ensure their long term viability and some ideas, theybactually borrowed from MLS.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2573 Robert Borden, Sep 19, 2019
    CONCACAF ranking
    Canada is now 7th overall, 5 points behind El Salvador and participation into the HEX
    Screenshot_20190919-110713_Chrome.jpg

Europa League report Card
    Jonathan David
    scores 2 goals and Gent defeats St-Etienne 3-2. Next are FC Olexandria (Ukraine)

Scott Arfield and Rangers wins 1-0 against Feyenoord. Next are Young Boys (Switzerland)

Atiba Hutchinson played 16 minutes in a 4-2 loss against Slovan Bratislava. Next are Braga (Portugal)

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    RE: MLS and CPL

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I don't think the CPL has any need to doormat itself for MLS (though I don't blame MLS for trying to get the best deal, either).

That said, MLS is different than other leagues in regards to MLS in that they operate three teams inside Canada.

Some level of cooperation would likely yield better overall development. Again, I'm not saying they should do exactly what MLS wants; just that working with them likely yields a better result for Canadian development than being petty about it. Which is somewhat my perception.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How do you propose they cooperate outside of Garber and the 3 clubs demands?

Cincinnati loaned Welshman to Forge and it paid off for all parties, same for Telfer with York9. That's a good start at cooperation I think.

I don't think that refusing to accept MLS reserve teams and giving them "right of first refusal" on players is petty from CPL. Those are unreasonable demands not worth negotiating about.