What is the current health of the Chivas USA franchise?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by MLS Detroit, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been more than one thread and/or blog on big soccer suggesting that management at Chivas USA is considering some major changes to improve the health of the franchise:

1. The creation of their own stadium to create profits instead of the renting situation at HDC.

2. A possible name change for the club to draw more people to the fan base (Los Angeles FC, CD Los Angeles, etc.)

3. Possible relocation to a new city.

I wanted to hear from the fans themselves if there was any truth to these rumors. You have one of the best (if not THE best) teams in MLS this year but it is no secret that you are struggling at the gate and Vergara is losing $.

What do you, the hard core Chivas USA fans want and/or think? Should the name change? Should the club move to another city? Would the club survive with their own stadium in another part of Los Angeles?

2. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. I think our own stadium at some point is a very real possibility. Where is the big question. The hot rumor is still Pomona, oddly enough I saw some new soccer field pop in Pomona just this week, does this mean anything ? I doubt it but interesting at least. Chivas one or two years left on the current deal, we'll see what happens I would like to see them move.

2. The name change is ALL from the fans and the haters. There HAS NEVER been anything from any reliable source suggesting such a thing EVER. Do I think it will help YES I do. IMO the "Chivas" just alienates too many "Chivas haters" that will never give Chivas USA or MLS a chance because of the name. IF they are going to do this it should happen along with any more to their own stadium. Remeber their Chivas name is what brought them MILLIONS of dollars in sponsorships thus far.

3. There is no chance in hell MLS relocates them to another market w/o the owners bailing out of MLS completely. thats unlikely has they are fiscally very sound and have been since day one, contrary to what you read on BS or from the bloggers.
    What MOST don't know or REFUSE to acknowledge is that CUSA has one of the best sponsorships deals in MLS, top jersey sales and are making money for every team in MLS. I get the Galaxy fans don't like us in "their house" BUT they fail to see all the money we make AEG(their parent company). We have a marketing agreement with them and pay them rent, just like the Gals, to play at HDC on 20 or so dates. thats 20 days its not empty and AEG is making money on rent,parking, concessions and adding value to the suite and club seats, thus allowing them to charge more for them. It gives HDC far more coverage in Hispanic media markets and in Mexico than they've had since HDC opened. Becks has obviously changed that now.

While the fans don't like us, I kinda like it that way, we play better soccer, have a better TEAM and do it far less $$ so the "common" man can afford to see winning soccer in LA.IN LA nothing more than winning, we all kow that.

We have our issue with attendence that for sure. I am hoping Shawn Hunter (new VP) will able to turn that around this season, if not It may in fact be time for a change of name and venue.
    As long as we build the brand and grow the fan base by offering a better team with better atmosphere for cheaper I think we'll be OK.

hope that helps

BTW I responded to one of those blogger with facts and they deleted all my comments, they heve no use for facts, it doesn't fit their agenda, much like our current politicians.

3. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put, Going Mobile.

4. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for laying to rest GM! It amazes me that the product remains viable to sponsors and TV money regardless of home gate receipts. The summer transfer of Guzan will only add more revenue.

5. Red_&_White

Red_&_White New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    West Covina
    people act as tho the franchise is about to be contracted.