What is the best thing about footy?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Harry Ottis Guff, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I like to look at the financial status of clubs, and how transfers in the close season affects the economic stability of sides. Being an accountan this is my hobby, and I love to guess which club will struggle to compete in footbal financially with others. I also like to closely analyse statistics, to get a real mathematical idea of what is happeniong in the game; shots on target, corners etc, I love the financial and statistical side of football, looking at how teams generate income, and at which teams have higher wage payments, and which teams have higher bills to pay on their ground or even tax! Also, I hate the MLS, I think its really boring and mundane!! What do you like best aboput the "Beautiful Game?"

2. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    Making sure it stays beautiful... and not German (ie ugly longballs) .

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know it was possible for an accountant, of all people, to find MLS boring, given the amount of debate about the league's accounts...

4. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    masterpieces. like the bergkamp/ljunberg one. it was great. bergkamp gets away from his opponents with a few neat tricks and flicks it on to ljunberg and he hits the ball over the golies head. for a great goal.

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do i like about the "Beautiful Game"?
    I love the continuous action of soccer.

6. HwarangDo

HwarangDo New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    the tension leading up each goal
    how one goal means so much
    the amount of effort, strategy, skill required to put the ball in the net
    there's more tension in a close soccer match than any other sport

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    playing with lonballs is called kick and rush and comes from england.

if you want to know what german soccer means, you should have watched the stuttgart-manchester match in cl.

german soccer is known for it´s counter attacks, not for it´s possesion-play...

9. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Portugal NT games in Benfica's old Stadium of Light in full capacity! There's nothing like the roar of 120.000 people just before the match starts...

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Many things.

The game itself... the tension, the anger, the joy, the hate, the love... everything. The whole flow of the game and the importance it can have to the quality of life.

Around football I like the travelling, the friends, the weird situations I've been in, the practical joking, the disorderly and idiot behaviour, the laughter, being part of something you take great pride in... and the ocasional violence.

It's a world on it's own I guess. I dunno. Football is a sport, a happening like no other... that's for sure. Anyone who says 'hey, it's just a game' ... I don't understand them.

11. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Signature material here...

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'd be happy to lend you my permission to use it... but first you gotta pay. I need you to pay for premium mebership. Us poor mods work on a provisional basis nowadays...

13. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    so its still UGLY its not the beautiful game, its an aberration of football, and don't tell me that Germans dont play kickball.

the quarter final btwn US and Germany at 2002 was one of the worst played WC games i have ever seen, and US should have won that game.

14. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    this ugly style of playing football came up in the las tyears and every german soccerfan hates it!

this kind of game is the result of missing an offensive mifielder we always were used to have, like Netzer, Overath, Walter, Haessler, Moeller or Schuster( i guess you know his name) and the missing ability of our national coaches to restructure our game, without losing all the offensive quality we were where once used to.
    I hope that Deissler will be abled to fill this whole in the next years.

15. Dots

Dots New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    Ireland
    in fairness, Germany dont play a long ball game. thats a ridiculous statement...and as a Barelonca fan I would not be too confident talking about beautiful football...i'm not saying this to piss you off, but the last 5 games I have seen barcelona play (they show a spanish game every sunday night on sky sports which i watch as the spanish league is a great league) have been boring, of poor quality and completely lacking in vision...it was ugly football...the Barca - Athletico Madrid game was terrible, Barca - Osasuna was awful, Albacete played more beaufiful football against barca (at least they tried even though they were underdogs)...it's a pity they have loaned out riquelme as he looks to have a great creative spark, and as Ronaldhinio looks like the only other player who is creative and has vision i can't see Barca playing much beautiful football this season.

I do agree that Germany need to get more creative, they lack a strong midfield (much like Ireland...wish us luck against the Swiss tomorrow )Ballack is an amazing midflielder, Ramelow is dependable and consistent, but beyond that i dont think Germany have any outstanding players...

But thats Germany isnt it, they are a team, a solid unit who have won 4 world cups and have been in more finals than any other team...

16. 3

17. Dots

Dots New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    Ireland
    D'oh

You are of course correct Sir.

3 times WC winners

7 times in the final

18. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd go absolutely gaga over baseball then, football stats pale in comparison.

19. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I was joking, I hate statistics, I though everyone would rip me for saying these things but no one did!!