What is the best Brazil ever?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by neovox, Oct 17, 2003.

1. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    One of the most fascinating aspects of the World Cup is that any National Team seems to have a chance to advance and eventually win. It’s so simple. There are only seven steps and any team can beat any other team no matter the other team’s talents. So even the underdog has a chance, and therefore a reason to go on and fight. It keeps the fantasy alive.

But we all know it is not so easy. The worst team can really win a match, but… the worst team is not necessarily the underdog.

I think that tradition has to be considered as a main factor for success. Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina have the kind of tradition that any team would like to have. So, it’s not surprise when they win. But are they always the best teams?

In 2002, Germany had the weakest team in years. In the matches against Paraguay and the U.S., Germany definitely didn’t play well. Did they deserve to win those matches? I’m not sure. But they played with intelligence, patience and the jersey that has so much tradition behind it.

The experience shows that the defiant team must play with respect, but no fear, as Ireland against Spain in 2002, Netherlands against Brazil in 1974, USA against Colombia in 1994. I think the U.S. team could have beaten Germany in 2002. What did happen? Lack of confidence? More experience?

We know the best team does not always win. And it can be asked: when the final game is over, who deserves more recognition? It would be obvious, but for some reason, sometimes the answer does not come easily. And we will ever talk about the best team that didn't win the World Cup. But I don’t think we can talk about the worst team that won the World Cup. It simply does not exist.

Brazil reached seven WC finals and won five. What is the best Brazil ever?

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I voted 1962:

Gilmar in goal, a super-sub for Pelé, Garrincha on amazing form... leading Brazil to an amazing 3x1 win over England - then the semis and playing the final while sick and still drawing multiple defenders.

But if it had had some of the players of 1958 that left before 62... wow...

3. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    I tend to stay with Brazil 1970, but when I think of BR-58 or BR-62...

4. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Neovox, its a testament to Brazil's place in football history that a good number of the squads you posted as choices received nominations in the best BigSoccer thread of all time (IMO) "Greatest WC Team of All Time" https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20529

I'll be lazy and re-post my initial offering from that thread.......

5. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Although my heart said to vote for the WC 2002 team, I thought the rational option would be the dream team of 1970.

Who voted for the WC 1998 team?!?

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is funny because I would go with the 1962 selection of players. They were a smarter team in my book.

1998? Actually that's a funny one because it could almost compete, except for a few ifs. Brazil had IMO one of the best attacks ever until Romario was hurt. There was Ronaldo, Bebeto (albeit a bit older), Edmundo and an emerging Denilson. So missing was Romario, Juninho, Mauro Silva (who else?) from what was a pretty potent team.