What is ODP?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, May 20, 2003.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    What is ODP? I live in Canada and we don't have it.

Who has played ODP or plays ODP and what age are you and how good are you?

2. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Olympic Development Program

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear sweet Jesus, RUN!!!!!!!!

4. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Old Dirty P ussy, ODB's little brother that used to play soccer.

5. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    Its like the state team, but its usually really expensive, so most cant afford it......

6. DYSC

DYSC New Member

May 17, 2003
    New York
    I was in ODP Program once and one team selected me,they were from Maryland,but I live in New York so i said i can`t go in their team.

7. JFCplayer17

JFCplayer17 New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    United States
    I play Olympic Development Program in Mississippi. ODP is cheaper than club soccer, for the most part. If you make the state team, you then go to a regional camp and you can make your regional team and the U.S. national team. ODP is probably the best thing you can have on a college resume, because you are one of the best in your state. If you can make the regional or national team, you can go to college and play almost anywhere you want. That is how much ODP helps.

8. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    ODP must be sponsored in your state, b/c I pay about 700 bucks a year for club....and ODP here can range from 1000-3000 bucks depending on the tournaments and where you travel. Lucky....

9. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know the highest age level of ODP that is still picked through (sorta) open tryouts? Is it u-16 or u-17?

thanks

10. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    In Florida, ODP doesn't have tryouts, they have a scout/drafting system. I believe it goes up to U-18
    (I'm u-16)

11. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, the scouting/drafting system also leads to "accusations" of nepotism/insider shennanigans/favoritism. Many of ODP's critics argue that they don't necessarily pick the best to pay, but they pick ones that can pay. I don't know if its just sour grapes of it is actually like that.

12. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But anyways, the point is that u-17 would still be an 'ODP' group and not just a national team pool only?

thanks

13. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    On price to play on ODP it is expensive in general, transportation to the practice field is a serious issue. A lot of guys don't try out because they just can't get there to practice. Example NYC player has to get to long Island.

If you are a fantastic player and can't pay you will still play. If your not a US citizen, but have a green card you will still play at the state level.

The real goal and only goal of state ODP is to find players for the reginal ODP.

From their you have a chance to make the national team.

They still have people looking for talent outside ODP. Find someone great and are recommended by a guy like Al Mondelo that player can find himself on one of the youth national teams for a look. look great your on.

Have the Y-league now that was elevated to close or the same as state ODP recently. So you should be abke to get a look with a national youth team from that if your great.

All these things look great on a soccer resumme if you looking to play div 1 college soccer for example and not be a pro.

Richie