What I Think MLS Should Look Like

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by thurd, Jul 27, 2002.

1. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    mls should expand to 16, with no divisions, home and away, and playoffs for the top 4 with home and home
    ne
    metros
    dc
    columbus
    chicago
    st louis
    okla city/ tulsa
    atlanta
    miami/tampa/orlando/jacksonville
    detroit
    dallas
    houston
    phoenix
    la
    sj
    portland
    seattle
    milwukee/philly

any comments? suggestions? share your ideas

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say both KC and Colorado have a better chance of sticking around than San Jose.

And wouldn't Phoenix be a bit on the hot side?

3. umrebel96

umrebel96 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Louisiana
    EAST
    Metros (NJ)
    NYC
    Revs
    DC
    Philly

MIDWEST
    Milwaukee
    Chicago
    Columbus
    KC
    Detroit

WEST
    Colorado
    LA
    San Jose
    Portland
    Seattle

SOUTH
    Houston
    Dallas
    OKC
    Atlanta

Four division champs make playoffs

4. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    yeahhh this an usefull thread... :rolleyes:

please have more atention to current state of the league rather than dreaming about ideal ones

5. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    my bad...put colorado in for phoenix...i completely forgot...and i moved kc to st louis

6. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    that is true... but it is like discoverying hot water...

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at night.

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Put OKC in the Midwest, and put DC in the South. OKC in the South would be too much of a stretch, IMO.

9. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give continental and hemispheric tournament entries to the top MLS sides:

MLS Champion: FC Champions' Cup and Copa Liberatores.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams get into FCC also.

Also, thanks for putting Detroit on the list.

Mike

10. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    i dont see why they wouldnt get one if mls ever expanded like that.....they are a major city, could play ford field maybe? are close enough to canada(toronto?) to bring in fans and there arent any other mls teams up there really. plus, doesnt detroit have good fans in other sports? im pretty sure they are good with the wings right?

11. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first Phoenix is still very hot at night...

second...heres how i would have it...

Chicago
    Columbus
    Colorado
    Dallas
    DC United
    Detroit
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Los Angeles
    MetroStars
    New England
    New York
    Oklahoma City
    Rochester
    San Jose
    Seattle

Single Table...
    30 Games...
    Top 8 teams make "MLS CUP"
    All teams in US Open Cup
    FCC - (League Champ, 2nd Place, MLS CUP, USOC)
    Copa Pan American Cup - (League, MLS CUP)

12. KCFAN

KCFAN New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Edmond, OK
    OKC in the south makes more sense as far as travel purposes, as does DC in the east. Its a much shorter trip for DC to go to NY or NE than it is to get them to a game in Houston or Dallas. Same with OKC. Dallas is 3 hours in the car and Houston is 6-7. Atlanta would obviously be the furthest away.

13. CrimsunSun

CrimsunSun New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I don't see why people think that having the Metrostars play outside of the Meadowlands (the plan is to move to Harrison, NJ, right?) would turn them into a NJ team. The Meadowlands are in NJ! Four teams play in the Meadowlands: the Giants, the Jets, the Devils & the Nets. The former two are considered NYC teams because there are no other football teams in the NYC area. The Devils and the Nets (who play right across the parking lot from Giants Stadium) are not considered NYC teams because the Rangers and Knicks both play within the city. This shows that as long as no other soccer team is created, downstate NYers will still cheer for the Metrostars. Even if you put a team in Uniondale (Long Island), the Metrostars will probably remain the NYC team.

Also, Rochester deserves to be bumped up to MLS before NYC gets another team. As long as MLS artificially keeps wages down, Rochester can support a competitive team (its attendance is already roughly on par with the rest of MLS) and there are plans for a new SSS. Regardless, Frontier Field is a much better stadium (certainly better than Naperville) than what most MLS teams play in.

Also, why did you only put 4 teams in the South? There has to be another city down there (just stay out of Florida) that could support an MLS team to give the league an even 20.

14. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    i would say put at least 20 but thats just too long of a scedule plsu playoffs...and what says american sports more than playoffs?

15. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    Sorry to break your idealistic views of the league, but does MLS have the chance of expanding to 16 teams within the next 5 years?

16. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC

I don't think that its that they consider the Metros a NJ team necessarily(right now anyway, altho going to Harrison wil make that a bit more persuasive.) I think its just a no-brainer that any team put in NYC proper will definitely have great attendance, irrespective of the Metros. If the Metros had better transport options from the city, their attendance would be the best in the league by far, IMO. Question is, what would happen to Metros attendance if NYC got a team. I know they have pretty good attendance now, but what would happen if the area had another, more transport convenient choice...?

BTW, the reason the Jets/Giants are considered NY teams is because they both started and played in NY throughout much of their history-unlike the Nets/Devs. The only reasons the Metros were called 'NY/NJ' even though theyve only played in NJ is because 1-they wanted to tap into the NYC market and thought it'd help to have NY in the name. 2-There was a possibility that they would move to NYC.

17. Laramie4OKC

Laramie4OKC New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The A-Leagues top talented players are competitive enough to play in the MLS if there were more teams. I look for MLS to have 20 teams by 2010:

Atlantic Division

New York-New Jersey
    New England
    Washington DC
    Rochester
    Philadelphia

Great Lakes Division

Chicago
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    Minnesota
    Detroit

Pacific Coast Division

Colorado
    Los Angeles
    San Jose
    Portland
    Seattle

Gulf Coast Division

Dallas
    Oklahoma City
    Houston
    Atlanta
    Wichita

18. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the current MLS teams (*) along with some past NASL locations and rumored future locations:

*New England Revolution
    *Metrostars
    *DC United
    Philadelphia
    Rochester
    *Chicago Fire
    *Columbus Crew
    Milwaukee
    Minnesota
    *Dallas Burn
    Houston
    *Kansas City Wizards
    *San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle
    Portland Timber
    *Los Angeles Galaxy
    *Colorado Rapids
    Atlanta
    Detroit
    Florida (Orlando/Jacksonville)
    Tampa Bay
    Miami
    San Diego
    Carolina
    Louisville/Memphis
    Oklahoma City/Tulsa
    Las Vegas

I'll throw into this mix Sacramento. They shown they will support the NBA and there is little summer competition for the sport dollar there.

Any other cities that I might have left out?

19. CrimsunSun

CrimsunSun New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Harrison is right on top of a subway (or whatever the NY metro area calls their rapid transit outside of NYC). Also, its even closer to I-95 than the Meadowlands and its right on top of I-280. Anyway, how close is this stadium to actually becoming a reality?

20. splinterhead

splinterhead Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Beaver, PA
    Pittsburgh

21. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    some very unlikely choices are :
    cincinnati
    hartford
    richmond
    birmingham
    maybe some canadian teams if that could ever be worked out?

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But almost no humidity.

23. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Well, there is a train line called the 'PATH' that runs to Harrison. But thats like taking a train to the suburbs (@ 30-40 min. ride, out of city proper.) To most NYC residents, thats much more of a hassle than if they could just hop on one of the local subway lines. As far as the highways, well, the whole point is that a city like NY isnt geared toward car transportation. But it may be more convenient (altho one strike is that EVERY NY'er knows how to get to Giants stadium-not many have ever heard of Harrison.)
    As far as the Harrison stadium goes, well, its a long story, but the short is that it'll be decided come Sept./Oct., next time the NJ assembly/Senate meet. Its attached to a Newark arena proposal, and the Meadowlands people are lobbying hard against that, so....we'll see.

24. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    cincinnati already has an a-league team that draws poorly....though the team sucks too.

25. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    16 MLS teams that are never relegated.
    4 A-League teams, 3 of which are promoted every year while the best of the 4 stays in MLS. The A-League could be East/Central/West (I have no clue as to how or IF it's divided now.)

Maybe this doesn't help the MLS directly, but it could add a nice incentive for A-League teams. Plus, the A-League seems to cover a nice portion of the country that the MLS doesn't and a connection between the two leagues would get the MLS more exposure.