What europeans think

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sardinia, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
  2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I would look at it, but I don't care what they think one way or another so I won't.

3. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Ah, the smug arrogance of Empire - the sign of a great nation about to decline.

4. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BULLEYE!
    That´s the US-foreign-policy.
    Short but exact analysis!

domingo

5. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I will survive.

6. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Samples of what I find so significant
    ( and, of course, I luv' it):

"Do you think of yourself as a “citizen of the European Union”?

Yes:
    68.2%

Sometimes, but not all the time:
    23.3%

No:
    8.4%
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"As a result of the European Union, do you feel closer to the other people and countries of the EU than you did 5 to 10 years ago?"

Strongly agree:
    38.4%

Agree:
    41.8%

No difference:
    15.1%

Disagree:
    2.2%

Strongly disagree:
    2.5%
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Since the Euro was adopted, many people have pointed to this as proof that the EU can be successful and should continue with greater integration. Which comes closest to your view?"

I agree with this and we should push forward with more integration in other areas:
    78.8%

The Euro seems to work pretty well, but we are moving too fast and should slow down and see how things develop in the future:
    12.6%

I agree that economic integration is good, but I am against further political integration:
    8.7%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank's to the current US administration for
    having accelerated European integration :)

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Are these e-votes statistically valid?? Of just another "web poll" with no real attempts to gather up an representative sample?

Meanwhile, I just glossed over some of the explanation, so I may be wrong here, but it seems to me this is an effort to establish a referendum-type reference point.

Can't go into it now, but this is a REALLY bad idea.

8. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    The silly thing about that is that EU integration runs counter to this neo-con doctrine of not allowing loose groups of nations (or individual nations) to develop into powerful blocks.

Even someone who mocks the lack of power of France, etc., must acknowledge that if you added all of the EU up, (and maybe thrown in some of the East as well) you would have a block that is comparable to the US in economic terms. Further still, if the countries cooperated more on defence and foreign policy issues, they could catch up with the US militarily. (although this would take much longer)

9. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    It clearly is not scientific. For instance, there are far more respondents from Greece (15%) than the UK (3%). It appears you can just sign up on the front page. The reason why there would be more from Greece is that this is an experiment of the Greek Government, which is presently the chair of the countries.

It is a large sample, however, since one of the polls (Iraq crisis) claimed that there were over 100,000 respondents. But this could be the result of ballott-stuffing by the anti-war groups.

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What's the difference between the hegemony favored by the Bushies and the hegemony favored by the EU?

11. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    This is how I feel about them concerning this iraqi conflict. Fucck them all I certainly don't need them.

The Germans :) they still say they knew nothing about the death camps. Anybody really believe that? They are great makers of bunkers they built Saddams. They make good ovens except they did not make pizzas in those ovens did they?

The French did a shiite load of business with iraq.
    Piece lovers my arse. They are French interests lovers first and last.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Generally in Europe there are some who are pro-war, some who are anti-war and some who have mixed feelings, pretty much like in the US. Anyone who believes the whole of Europe is totally against the war and hates the US is as stupid as those who claim that the whole of the US is pro-war and is boycotting European goods.

13. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    A left-wing view of the world, probably.

Anyway, the EU is not in a position to push for the kind of the dominance that the US has or wants now.

The EU today is more like the USA, pre-1900. ie Not all of the states in the continent are in the union; a large number of the people (if not states) don't want to be in the union; it is pretty insular due to its relative weakness; some economic development issues.

14. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "boycotting European goods."

Curious why should we feel we must buy from Europe?

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are on-line polls, after all. Think about how many polls are stuffed by BS posters.

Having said that, I'm hearing the arguments that the EU is catching up to the US in most areas, perhaps by the time I'm retired and sitting on a porch somewhere the US won't be the world's leading entity. I don't doubt it at all. We'll have no one to blame but ourselves, and I think it actually has very little to to with this war (which I support). But that is another discussion.

16. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I don't see it this way.

No intent to dominate the world in the minds of europhiles.

We want just fair economical competition (without the use of military power favoring its own interests and/or against respective interests, this I call a loyal friendship) and the capacity for us to have a unique influential voice in the world.
    A more balanced world.
    You (USA) can stop our (EU) supposed mistakes and we can stop your supposed mistakes.

Will the result of the full european integration be a superpower rivaling USA? Yes.

But I don't see an EU with the same (or similar) international power of US to be a danger for the world, the exact contrary.

Next step could easily be a political union between USA and EU, maybe our nephew can see it starting when they will be elder.

17. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wasn't implying that they're the same. I was really asking about the differences. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe because you might like some things that europe produces. same reason that people in europe might buy american goods.

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Because they make a variety of desirable products produced by workers who make decent wages?

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If anything, our foreign policy complicates and harms our economic interests.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Bushies have a great military to back it up?