What does lack of loyalty to team names mean for the health of MLS?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by CrewStadium227, Mar 28, 2006.

1. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    I thought that one of the benefits to owning a sports team was that the "brand" represented by the name of the team gains value over time. Say you fork out $500 million for an NFL franchise. You might lose money operating the team every single year, but be assured that when your ready to sell it, you'll make a profit on the sale. A "Brand" is something that's basicly conjured up out of thin air, and the fact that you can make a lot of money on it is a pretty amazing thing. People will give you money just to be associated with it. We could actually go into a long discussion about the business concept of brand, but suffice to say your name is supposed to have some value. And in a business that may make only small profits or even loses money, it might be the only thing valuable you have.

So you'd think that a league that loses money every year would be very keen on trying to establish its brands and make them stick. What does it say when they are so willling to let all the money and effort that's gone into trying to establish Clash, Mutiny, Fusion, Earthquakes, Burn, Wiz, Metrostars, and 1836 go for naught? it tells me they haven't been very successful in making those brands into something valuable.

To me, the willingness to let go of team names says something very bad about the state of the league as a business. I'm not so worried about the fact that Red Bull is a corporate name as much as the fact that MetroStars was let go of so easily. I mean NY/NJ is the biggest market. If they haven't built any value in 10 year, what does that mean?

2. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    ten years is not that long. teams move and change names in every league. would you assume that the washington wizards would fetch less in re-sale because they switched away from being called the bullets?

sometimes it makes sense to change a name because the name was bad, or it was picked for a reason that is no longer relevant. metrostars was named for MetroMedia (IIRC) and 1836 was around for all of 2 weeks. not many investors were monitoring financial reports for 1836 waiting for the right time to make their move. if they were, they would've been happy to not have a company name that was controversial from the start.

companies outside sports also re-brand all the time as part of a strategic business plan. sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. i don't think there are many teams in MLS with enough widespread recognition that changing their names would lead to the potential re-sale value dropping. i think you could count them on one hand. DC, LA, and a few others might be recognized either beyond the immediate soccer community or beyond the US border.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I am metros er,. I mean RBNY fan and looking at the big picture, it is a grea thing. I mean it isnt like we were having great success at ANYTHING we were doing. Players bickering with coaches, coaches getting fired, playing in a huge empty cavern, dwindling fanbase, getting raped by having to shell out HUGE LOSSES just to have a NY prescence.

And now we have a stadium, alot of cash, a smart, enthusiastic, committed owner, and can start fresh. All of this for a name change. Sounds good to me.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It means that those were ********ing stupid names.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Changing names or being owned by corporate entities is not that much of a big deal. Newton Heath didnt do so bad after they were taken over by a brewery and had their name changed.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd like to add that "Red Bull New York" or "New York Red Bulls" or "FC Red Bul"l or "Red Bull Wednesday" or "Red Bull 06," or even "Heart of Red Bull"... it beats the hell out of Total Network Solutions.

7. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. The league is doomed to failure.

Signed,

The New York Highlanders.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Bees, and the Cleveland Naps, and the Cincinnati Redlegs (couldn't be the Reds during the McCarthy Era, dontcha know) and one or two others I've forgotten.

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite: The Brooklyn Superbas.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is terrific; it's like a pocket guide entitled "Bad Rationales For Why The Red Bull Name Change Is Good."

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, "Good Reasons Not To Hysterically Overreact." One of the two. :rolleyes:

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Co-sign

Newton Heath Football Club

13. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --Can we get up in this?

Thames Ironworks F.C.

14. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The names, logos and unis for the original 10 in 1996 were inane and embarassing. These things usually create interest and generate revenue for your product. Instead MLS really shot itself in the foot. I remember Keith Olberman referring to a Wiz-Burn match as a urologist's nightmare.

The faster we can put that crap behind us , the better.

15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That actually is pretty funny.

16. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When I first came to this country I laughed at some of the awful mls names like galaxy, Rapids, and fusion. The league back then was an americanized disaster to me with its own rules. Slowly during the ten years, the league started to turn into a serious football league. They change into FIFA regulated rules and even started to have teams with football names.

Names lthat refelct the city or place , for example, Fire in Chicago and Revolution in New England.are fine. Names like Galaxy and Wizards have got to go.

Sorry for my bad english.:eek:

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Su ingles esta bien.

The planners who came up with that stuff must have been on some strong drugs. It's like they were trying too hard to be innovative, and the results were just foolish. I'm convinced it really hurt the league.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Where is the document that tells what soccer team names should be? Yes, you might not like them. Hell, I might not like them. But that doesn't mean other people might not have a problem with them or identify with them.

People make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much out of names and petty stuff like that.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You don't think MLS would be better if we had names like "Kansas City Heart of Oak" or "Young Boys Los Angeles" or "FC Chicago" or "Red Bull United" or "Dallas Wednesday" or (my favorite) AC DC? Where's your sense of tradition?

20. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    :D:D

[ slaps head ]

[ wishes he had thought of AC DC ]

21. Bianco Celeste

Mar 15, 2006
    I'm still laughing over the comment that MLS is a 'serious football league'. Let me make a slight correction - MLS is becoming a serious DEVELOPMENTAL football league. Any comparison to REAL football played in Europe and elsewhere is farcical.

If Europe is considered the NHL/NFL of soccer - MLS is the AHL/NFL Europe in comparison. Too bad MLS doesn't realize that - they are constantly thinking of themselves as bigger than they actually are.

When you have to CALL ESPN and tell some schlepp editor what minute there was a good chance in an MLS game (because they certainly wouldn't be watching), you're not major league in any way.

22. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    So what makes a major league? I don't disagree with you that MLS is not on the par with European (or the big South American) leagues.

But I have a feeling that a lot of European leagues wouldn't qualify as a "major league" either--don't think that every European league is equal.

So by this reasoning, there are only a handful of major leagues in the world. No shame in MLS not being one of them.

edit: and psst...I don't think that any league could be considered "major" after only 10 years of existence. Those European cats have about 100 years head start on us.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Unless yours is so bad, it's basically universally reviled. See Wiz.

24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much money do teams like ManU and Barcelona make selling their jerseys around the world? It's not petty stuff. Merchandising is very important.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, merchandising is important. But what is so mystical about the words Manchester United that make them sell millions of shirts in Malaysia?

It's not the name. It's the team. And a team is more than its name.