What do you think ?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by goatnutsgoal, Nov 9, 2003.

1. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    What do you think about the playoffs?

Do you think the sysem works home and home?

Do you like the one game second round?

What do you think about homfield adv.?

2. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    What do you think about the playoffs?

I don't like it.

Do you think the sysem works home and home?

no! I wish that they would have best out of 3 series with home field adv. going to the team with the best record. I think that the home and home is a joke now I don't want to watch the playoffs becuase every team has to win by two goals now to make a tie and force more soccer. The other team can come out in a bunker def. which will make the playoff's a joke.
    Do you like the one game second round?

no!
    What do you think about homfield adv.?

I don't.

3. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    This is the worst, most boring system MLS ever had. Each game today will start with one team needing to score 3 goals without letting a single one in. I hope they go with single elimination playoffs from next season.

4. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having an east-west setup to determine who plays who is ok, but for playoffs the seedings sohuld be a single table. top 8 teams go on, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on. it should be home and away. and MLS Cup should also be home and away, but not until playoff attendances look good.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'd like to see single elimination in the playoffs if we need to have playoffs. I prefer a single table with a balanced schedule.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No, it is not boring. The heat is on all those clubs today to pull it together. They should have realized that last week.

Basically, they are involved in one long 180-minute match masquerading as a home-and-home series. The entire thing matters. Every goal is now of utmost importance.

You can't brush aside a blow-out as just one bad game. You have to stop it from happening at all costs. And if you are the club on top in the first match, you have an incentive not to let up and take it easy. You may need those extra goals if you come out flat in the second game.

It's the best system in a sport whose virtue is its low scoring. Every single goal counts enormously, just as they should.

Long live aggregate!

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then half the teams in the playoffs would not have even one home match for their fans. That just isn't going to happen.

8. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La and dc based on their regular season didn't deserve a home game.I know why MLS did what they did, but it cheapens the regular season.I hope they go to single game elimination next year.

9. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I think the top 2 teams in the east and west should be the only teams in the playoffs. 8 out of 10 is too many teams. You should have to have a winning record to get into the playoffs. Single elimination would be nice to see too. The season needs to be over by now. There is too much NFL football on to make people get intrested in watching soccer. I can't ever watch unless I am alone because no one else wants to watch soccer on tv.

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can hope all you want but it's the one thing I'm sure will not happen.
    When we get to 16 teams it won't all look as bad to you.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The first game of each series was intense. The second game was kind of lame. I'd rather have single elimination.

12. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like the home and home aggregate. While the Chicago-DC game was boring today it was because DC didn't even look like they wanted to win from the beginning. The Revs-Metros game today had some wide open (and exciting) play, especially after the Revs scored.

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    This system is better for MLS in every manner thinkable. Scheduling is a lot easier, because you don't have that one awkward mid-week match. Plus the first to five POINTS system was inane. Who the hell thought of that?

14. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And then there's tonight's game--excellent! The eastern conference match-ups were just a little too uneven, so the series weren't as fun as they could have been. The Gals-SJ series is great, though, as I thought it would be, even after the first game result. Great system, great stuff!

15. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I really love playing an entire season just to eliminate 2 out of 10 teams from the playoffs. It really makes each game mean so much, knowing that if you win more than anyone in your conference, you automatically make the playoffs.
    Why bother with the season at this point? Let's just have the whole league in the playoffs, and whoever wins is the champion.
    We could have four or five seasons a year this way!