What do you think of Jim Cramer?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by FearM9, Dec 8, 2005.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I first watched "Mad Money" earlier this year and was put off by his real obnoxious, in-your-face approach to the show.

But in recent days I've been listening to him on the late night drive home on XM Radio and I've really become a fan of his style. Just loud and boisterous and I always yell out "BOO-YAH!!!" every other minute now. And he seems to be very knowledgeable in the stock market.

How does his track record compare to other experts in picking stocks for small investors?

I'm even thinking of buying his book!!!

I'm not a buy-and-sell type of guy. I just buy and just sit on it.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He typically doesn't look for one day turn arounds. He is looking at prospects that have 3-6 months of growth in them.
    When he ran his hedge fund, he had really solid returns for his investors. he was even beat LTCM one year.
    lots of solid advice to be had, but he is not the Bible.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, but we all know what happened to LTCM... belly up.

Put your point is still valid.
    Look Cramer is an entertainer, and an extremely smart man. Unfortunately being smart doesnt always make you $$$. Many a fired hegde fund/portfolio manager can tell you this. He has some good picks, and he has some real dogs. Most do.

For me personally, the jury is still out. Traders have studied "the cramer effect" in stocks in different ways.

Here is one study: http://www.booyahboyaudit.com/index.php
    I am not endorsing this sight, and havent checked the validity, just bringing it up in case people want another source to do their homework.

Also, I have personally watched stocks the second he brings them up on his show. Supposedly he doesnt let anyone but his staff in his show know
    which ones they are. The reason, is they immediatly get bid up in after hours trading using electronic systems. They come to life on my screen just as fast as I can type them into my computer. They usually open higher teh next day and have a slight sell off as people take profits. Longer term the performance is all over the place.

Now the interesting part is if you look how the recommended stocks behaved BEFORE THE SHOW THAT DAY you will notice a slight runup into the close. This leads me to believe hedge funds are getting ahold of the lists somehow and accumulating the posistions only to flip them the next morning when retail pours into buy...

that is my .02

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I own stock in Evergreen Solar (ESLR) which Cramer has been bullish on. It's interesting to see how the stock jumps by about 50 cents after he mentions it. I think he has some short-term effect, not negligible long term effect.

Sachin

5. LATL

LATL New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    I watch it from time to time he has some good info

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Personally, I don't much care for him. There are an awful lot of people out there watching him who don't know anything about stocks, and are making their selections solely based on who he suggests. He's recommended some very high risk things in the past. (Montpelier Re, the Peruvian airline, etc.) I think people who don't at least understand the basics of the market really shouldn't be trading their own stocks. If they're relying on some guy screaming on the tv, they probably don't understand the market well enough to be investing in it.

And the chair throwing bit needs to stop.

7. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I have only seen his show once, and it's not my style. And I cannot comment on his advice, because I haven't done my homework on it. But his book, Confessions of a Street Addict, was one hell of a read.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Is Cramer the screaming gay guy on CNBC who walks around the studio, or is he the screaming gay guy on CNBC who sits?

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Has anyone tracked the one-year (or longer) performance of the stocks that he recommend (for or against)?

Is it common for one guy (and his staff) to have such strong opinion on (and supposedly knowledge of) so many stocks (20-30 per day)?

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think his callers are somehow prescreened. During the Lighting Round he's awfully quick on giving a brief bio on a stock and what not when someone calls in. I very rarely get to watch his show, but do listen to him on XM Radio on the drive home, but one thing I noticed the other night on TV is when he takes in a call, he quickly taps on his computer. My guess is that relevant info about the company pops up on a screen we can't see and I'm guessing either he or one of his assistants has hammered out some quick notes on the current status of the company in question and just flashes that either on the computer screen or maybe teleprompter.

11. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gay. My daughter's soccer team played shis daughter's team last fall. On the sidelines we were all like "Hey isn't that that CNBC guy?" and it was. Kind of on the short side. Slightly less agitated in person.

12. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    When it's your life's work, 20-30 stocks is nothing.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes he's a bit much, and bostonsoccermdl pretty much hit most of the good points on his knowledge and effect. In the end, he's entertaining and I catch his show on occasion more as a point of research than anything else. I don't think I'd ever buy a stock based on what someone said on television.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It went belly up twice. Text book case of a company that perverted the term "hedge fund".

What did he do at LTCM and what years was he there?

15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    He didnt work there, but I was refering to a post about Cramer beating LTCM in returns.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Gracias. Ya, it shouldn't be too yard to beat LTCM depending on the year. :)

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm dazzled by how he goes from playing a idiot savant rassler to playing an lunatic stock savant week after week. Talk about versatility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Andeinho

Andeinho New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    what do i think of Jim Cramer?

Where do i start, hes smart and an idiot in the same sense of market bias. Hes smart in the way that he has a following that listen to what he says and play stocks daily and take them for very short runs of usually .50 - 1.00 bounces. This obviously benefits Cramer cause not one person in this thread can tell me that he really doesnt own these stocks pumped on his show.

Hes an idiot cause on some of the companies he brings up dont deserve a bounce and screw a lot of people. Now i know all he says is artificial and take it if you want info, but the uneducated market traders that listen to him do whatever he wants making him richer!!!!!

All in all you have to know what ur doing and if your listening to Cramer for anything more then hearing that truck beeping noise and the pig oinking your in trouble! :eek:

19. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i talked to a decent stock advisor friend of mine about him and he seemed to agree with over half of the companies discussed on there...

did you see 3 nights ago when he cut his finger open and was bleeding on the show... that really had me laughing for some reason... reminded me of the SNL skit when the lady (Dan Akroyd, i think) cut her thumb off and bled everywhere