What do you think of Adin Brown now?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ursula, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Just wondering. Since you guys see him more than the rest of us, what do you think of him? As a United fan, well he's played to very good games vs us lately and really as much as I like Rimando, Brown is potentially better, if not already there. I still see him potentially getting back into the Nats team picture within four years but you guys probably have a more infiormed opinion.

2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown

I can't really say based on his recent form, as I haven't been able to watch the last two games, but as a whole this season, he has been less then impressive.

It's quite clear that he has the physical tools, but his problems have been mostly positioning and decision making. He doesn't have great control of his box and has problems with crosses in the air. Like most big men, he also is a bit vulnerable low. Rimando has looked much better to me, but I have only seen him play twice. His distribution has been adequate. He's got decent hands, and is pretty good with the reaction saves.

In Brown's defense, he has none. When Llamosa and Pierce aren't in the lineup, it is target practice for the other team. Some people looks spectacular in these situations, some look shell-shocked. Brown has looked a bit of both at times.

As far as potential, I think Brown has a lot. He's still young, has tremendous physical skills, and many of his problems are coachable. If he gets a bit more confident coming off his line, and learns to control his box and defense more, he could be a great goalie. Tremendous upside.

Lee

3. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    at time one he was considered the future usmnt goalie wasnt he? i dont see why he cant be one day as long as he continues to improve. and to improve he needs some playing team, and a better D in front of him to make it easier to look god wouldnt hurt either

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Not only was Brown considered one of the best young keepers a few years ago, he would have been the starting keeper in the olympics if not for injury. Then again, Brian Dunseth was the captain of that team...

For all of the complaints about his positioning, he seems to stop nearly half of the breakaways against him. I think that Howard is better and Rimando might be if he were taller. However, it's hard to make a good judgement because most of the goals against the Revs come with minimal defensive pressure. We have noticed that he's about a goal a game better than Sommer...

5. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I think Brown is a good solid keeper. His positioning, I think, is pretty good, his instincts and relexes are better than average, and, of course his size gives him an edge (all things being the same) over a lot of keepers.

One troubling habit he has however is that on one-on-one breaks he tends to make himself smaller by immediately getting low. Maybe this is a natural tendency for a tall keeper, but last week it led to the strange occurence where a streaking was able to put the ball, at a short distance, over Brown's head and into the back of the net. Hopefully he can get over this with some training in the offseason (great keepers like Friedel and Keller seem to have the ability to remain utterly relaxed until the moment of the shot in these situations).

Still, I was half ready to dump on the guy when he came in (the Rev's handling of Jeff Causey was, I think, pretty shoddy), but now I think he's a solid keep.

6. hammer33

hammer33 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    virginia
    Brown in my eyes is the most talented keeper in the league along with Tim Howard. He has played on last place teams the 3 years he's been in the league.. He has had a rough couple years with injuries and missing the Olympics, but it looks to me like he is coming around. When Brown was the starting keeper on the under-23 team head coach Clive Charles said that he was farther along then Kasey Keller at that age. In my eyes if Brown stays fit and continues to improve his command in the box and communication over the next couple years he will be our future keeper for the Nats. Go Revs!

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Not just Clive said this; so did Bruce. Adin was hot coming out of William and Mary; much hotter than John Stewart at any rate...

Anyways thinks for the input and if anyone happens upon this thread please feel free to add your thoughts.

8. Dirty Nelly

Dirty Nelly New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Not the real deal.

Brown is a good shot blocker but lacks true agility, is unsteady on his feet and can’t kick with his left foot.

But this is the Rev.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and sommer is better?

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't figure him out. He looks over weight and slow but seems to make the saves when required.

He's either real good or real lucky. Still can't decide

11. Dirty Nelly

Dirty Nelly New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Sommer, if fit, is a better keeper than Brown.

Sommer controls his box better, handles the back pass better, has better footwork, and reads the game better.

Brown seems to handle direct shots and crosses better than Sommer.

But how many times has Sommer played with Llamosa this year?

A good defender makes plays predictable for his keeper, so having Llamosa or Nicky D. in front of you is an important factor.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too bad sommer is never healthy, oh wait, he is this year. Plus he has the worst GAA in the league, Brown is near the rest of them. Sommer is past his prime and is only taking up space on the roster, he should be dropped. 7 goals in 2 games is unexcuseable.

13. hammer33

hammer33 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    virginia
    No way Sommer is better then Brown even when he is fit (looks fit to me now). Sommer was great in his prime, but Sommer does not have the ability and quickness that brown has for being such a big keeper, and also he does not make big time saves like Brown.I agree with you that Sommer reads the game better, but that is only because Sommer is a decade older than Brown and that takes experience. Some goals that have been scored on Sommer would have been stopped by Brown with no question. Brown has had Llamosa in the back i think 3 times. In the beginning of the year Llamosa was in the back with Sommer before he went off to WC and we lost the first 2 from my knowledge. Brown with Llamosa or not, he has had kept the Revs in most games and has won games for them on two occasions. Brown has proved that he is the starting keep for the Revs.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think Brown suffered a confidence problem after his injury. Remember he started off in Colorado as the second coming of Keller/Friedel, making acrobatic saves for the Rapids, biding his time before the Sydney Olympics, evidently reading and believing his own press clippings. The injury took away his form, his fitness, and I think his confidence and mental sharpness, as well.

Brown looks fitter and more mentally into the game today than he did a couple months ago.

There may have been a time when he could've followed somebody like Marcus Hahnemann into the oblivion of a bench in a lower division in England, but lucky for us (and him) that Brown has stayed here. Now he has the chance to prove himself all over again, perhaps on the national team level. At his age, for a keeper, he still has plenty of time to mature and improve.

This does make me mourn Hahnemann, though--damn, he was good in that brief period he was with the Rapids.