What do you think it would take to get Steve Ralston?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Jul 30, 2002.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    New England seems to need Cap relief and Defense.....Maybe Agoos is good bait but he has a high price tag i'm sure.....42 goals against is worst in MLS. Maybe they would rather have the young gun Eddie Robinson although that would be our defensive future out the window. Would New england go for Agoos for Ralston straight across? They did just pick up another midfielder, Winston Griffiths, off waivers from L.A. Maybe Robinson and Russell for Ralston? Ralston would open Donovan and Graziani up so much more.

Discuss:

2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Corrales and Ibby.

Sean

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agoos is going to retire soon. Insiders say this might be last year.

The Revs would want one of the defenders. They will either pick Corrales, Conrad, or Robinson--someone they can see can develop even further. Remember they want someone that they see as equal value if they want to part with Ralston.

Depending if "that kid" stays, they might want a forward as well.

4. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I doubt that they think any of those guys would be worthy of Ralston even though Robinson should be, with the crap defense they have. Personally I would really hate to lose Robinson as young and talented as he is but for Ralston in the mid, it might be worth it.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would much rather give up Conrad than Robinson. I like Jimmy, but believe that Eddie has much more potential.

*click* Flame protective suit donned *click*

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would the Revolution trade Ralston for Conrad, Robinson, OR Corrales when at the end of the year, they can draft someone like David Stokes from North Carolina?

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe we could trade Burns and Calishman for Ralston? ;)

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would be a good trade. Just sign me: ldb, the Ralston Ranger and other sponsors of Tom Mix.

9. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As of today they have one less superdraft pick, since they traded it with us for salary budget room. I suppose the Revs will probably get the ol' "you suck" allocation that used to be a San Jose staple. But draft picks are chancy at best... we've had some that looked great on paper but just couldn't hack the big leagues (e.g. Krakowiak).

So LDB who would Ralston displace, Ian Russell? or...?

10. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Remember, this is the Krafts we're talking about -- not much soccer sense, so they might even trade Ralston straight up for Ibsen...

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember if the Quakes repeat, then a few players will have to go to keep the team at the salary cap level. There are a few that might retire (Agoos and Dayak come into mind) so chances are someone is going to be dealt in order to get Ralston. Exactly who, I don't know, but the Revs are going to want someone of equal value if they are going to part with Ralston, or someone they think can pan out.

Cheers!

12. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be stunned if the Revs coughed up their 1st round pick to the Quakes, although I guess it's not completely out of the question.

Still, if you gave me the choice between Russell/Robinson and Ralston/Stokers, it's a no-brainer in my book. Of course, nobody ever said the Revs had much of a brain.

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I don't even understand the obsession with getting Ralston to begin with. Sure, he's dishing out a lot of assists but that's because the Revs have no one else they are letting handle the ball and the offense is running through him. Out here, the offense would not run exclusively through him. This is still Ekelund's midfield and will likely remain so.

Consider what else has been mentioned in this thread...the likelihood of either Agoos or Dayak OR BOTH retiring after this year?! Our team is leading the league in scoring. We have a logjam at forward. Sounds to me like we'd best be looking for some formidable central defense and work hard to keep Barrett, Robinson and Conrad here. Then, all we need is a leader on that back line. What about pitching for Llamosa from the Revs? Any other defenders out there who are "on the outs" with their team like Graziani was with Dallas? I'd take another trade like that one in a heartbeat-especially if it sets up our defense for the next 5-6 years!! (How is Mastroeni's mood in Colorado? Hmmm.)

14. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    maybe russell and ibsen for ralston,the problem is that nobody wants ibby and i don't blame them.

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think you're the only one that's noticed this? He's the man charged with getting Twellman the ball, and despite teams completely ignoring the remained of the New England midfield (...usually including such MLS heavyweights as Jim Rooney, Leo Cullen, and Brian Kamler) and focusing completely on Ralston. He still finds a way to get Twellman the ball. He's leagues better than Ian Russell.
    Not quite. They're second in the league in scoring. (Hey, I'm a Revolution fan - I'll take small victories.)

I honestly can't see the Quakes making a major move at the trading deadline. First, they don't need to. Second, most of the players on the roster with real trade value are guys that you probably don't want to trade. And third, with all due respect, I can't see another team willing to part with USMNT caliber players for the likes of Conrad, Robinson, Corrales, DeRosario, Barclay, etc., as keeps being suggested here.

Just my opinion.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to the man, will ya!!

17. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson and Barclay are really the only players that have a shot at the Nats.

Mike Marshall is dead on. We have a good core of players right now as it is, and the cost to get Ralston or another player of equal caliber would be too much. FY doesn't need anybody for a run at the Cup. He has stated before that the squad they have now is Champion caliber.

With the immediate needs satisfactorily met he has now focused on long term needs. Our central backs are the oldest and thus the development of Robinson. Roner and Lucci are here to eventually replace Ekelund and Lagos. Lucci and Barclay are here to replace Graziani and possibly Donovan.

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

But.....if you amputate one of Ralstons feet and tie his other foot behind his back, he would only be slightly better than Russell. :D

19. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Ralston....right mid....bye bye E-dawg.

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

42 goals against.....NE will need more than one defender.

21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the six games this year when Pierce AND Llamosa have played, our GAA is 1.33 and our record is 3-3-0.

In the five games this year when Pierce OR Llamosa have played, our GAA is 1.60 and our record is 2-2-1.

In the nine games this year when neither Pierce NOR Llamosa have played, our GAA is 2.89 and our record is 2-7-0.

We need one, young defender that can play in the middle and push Pierce back outside to right back, and put Heaps on the bench. I'd be happier to wait for someone like a David Stokes rather than getting rid of Ralston, who's part of the solution, rather than the problem.

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

So they are 5-5-1 when pierce and/or llamosa are a part of the line-up. That still seems to warrant two more good defenders unless positioning is that big of an issue.

23. hammertoe

hammertoe New Member

Apr 11, 2000
    I think a better topic would be: What would it take to get rid of Living Dead Boy? The King of negative posts!!

24. hammertoe

hammertoe New Member

Apr 11, 2000
    I would like to elaborate on my last post. Even thought I am considered a Newbie, I have read these boards for the last 2-3 years. I find the majority of LDB's posts to be of a negative nature. We have a team that are the reigning MLS champions and are currently leading the league with a third of the season left.What more is there to want? Why continually pick players apart? A team is the sum of its players. Each player adding something different. We've had injuries, card violations, National Team duties, and we are still first. Quit finding fault and be thankful for what we have.

25. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

it's _ded_ , thank you.