What Do We Need Now?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by sokrandlaw5, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    After the allocations, international draft, and discovery player, where do we need to look in the domestic draft on October 6 to fill in. More strong defenders is my thought. But since I was not at the combine I don't know who showed well. Any thoughts?

2. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Was there anything about a keeper? I've been out of touch the past week so don't know if anything was reported on that front.

3. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    The Irish National keeper was the "discovery player" but I have no way of knowing whether that means she will be the keeper for the team. There has been some speculation with the international picks as well, especially Kelly Smith.

4. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Thanks! I missed that news item...

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming all the internationals sign, and a roster of 18, there are 10 spots open to be filled via the 10/6 draft, the January draft and local tryouts. For this draft, I agree more defenders would seem to be a priority.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok just which players are available to be selected in THIS draft?? I assume NO college players? Will that be the January draft?

So does that mean every professional player not under contract with anyone is available to be selected? Did they have to register??

It would be nice to see a list of "available" players...I mean only 28 will be selected so the list cant be that big!

Andy??

7. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    I just went yesterday to pick my seats and talked with the GM who informed me that there were over 1000 :eek: players who registered. My goodness what a pool! I would hate to be the person to decide but it's nice to have those kind of problems.

8. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    So, here is my take on what kind of players each time will be looking for round by round. I have not followed what happened after the international allocation. I understand some teams added a few players, so this may be off.

Round One:

Washington Freedom -- goalie
    Bay Area -- defender
    Washington Freedom (via trade with St. Louis on Sept. 24) -- midfielder
    Boston Breakers -- goalie
    Los Angeles -- goalie
    Chicago Red Stars -- defender
    Sky Blue FC -- goalie

Round Two

Sky Blue FC -- defender
    Los Angeles -- defender
    Boston Breakers -- defender
    Los Angeles (via trade with St. Louis on Sept. 24) -- defender
    Bay Area -- midfielder
    St. Louis (via trade with the Washington Freedom on Sept. 24) -- defender

Round Three

St. Louis (via trade with the Washington Freedom on Sept. 24) -- defender
    Bay Area -- defender
    Washington Freedom (via trade with St. Louis on Sept. 24) -- midfielder
    Boston Breakers -- midfielder
    Los Angeles -- midfielder/forward
    Sky Blue FC -- midfielder

Round Four

Sky Blue FC -- defender/midfielder
    St. Louis (via trade with Los Angeles on Sept. 24) -- midfielder/forward
    Boston Breakers -- midfielder
    St. Louis -- forward/midfielder
    Bay Area -- defender
    Washington Freedom -- midfielder

I think Val Henderson (goalie), of the Pali Blues, U-23 and UCLA will be a top five pick. So will Amy LePeilbet (defender) of Pali Blues, national team, ASU and other semi pro experience.

Other players I would like to see: Kendall Fletcher (defender); Jill Oakes (midfielder); Kelly Schmedes; Manya Makoski; Tiffany Weimer; Liz Bogus; Dani Basio; Julianne Stitch; Sarah Steinman.

Any one on the Pali Blues rosters (W-league, undefeated champions in 2008) and FC Indiana Lionesses (WPSL league champions) is worth a look.

What I don't want to see? Any international players selected. There are only 28 opportunities to be drafted this round and all of those should be U.S. players.