What do the Rapids need to work on for the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Malaga CF fan, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy question here and maybe the answer is obvious, but I thought I would get the discussion going. Since I haven't seen any of the last 3 matches either, any enlightenment is appreciated...

Basically, what do the Rapids need to do to regain that midseason form that saw them win 9 out of 10 and beat San Jose in their crib? That's what they're going to have to do if they plan on making the final and winning the MLS Cup.

So have at it. Obviously, one thing won't fix everything, but what should the first priority be?

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Yep finishing, finishing, finishing.

I've been very impressed with Garlick in goal.
    With Borchers on defense a lot of the holes from previous seasons have been patched up. We don't make nearly as many defensive blunders. This is the first Rapids team that I feel relatively confident with a 1-0 lead.

Midfield suffers at times with the weak links of Beckerman and Trembly. This will improve with time. Both have the potential to play much better than they have in the past 3 or 4 games.

ZiZi needs to either find his form and click with other players or we need to bench him and hopefully trade him in the off season.
    Spencer, Chung, Powell, Garlick and Borchers are awesome. It's nice to have solid players in every area of the field, what a luxury.

What ever happened to Casey Schmidt? Is he injured or just hasn't impressed Mr Hanki in practice? Does anyone know?

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FINISHING! FINISHING! FINISHING!

We had so many opportunities friday night. Miy girlfriend were gettng frustrated at the poor finishing while wathcing the game at home. Imagine how the players felt. I feel the midfield is finally ok, (if they sub hendo out at about 60 minutes, he looks tired throughout most of thje second half), the defense is solid, cc and spenny work well together, powell, chung, and hendo (when not tired) have managed to get the ball in the box, it's just the finishing that has been lacking lately. And that's understandable, spenny missed 2 matches and although i like ZiZi, he's no spenny.

4. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    pretty funny we both used the word 3 times AND posted at the same time.

5. stevedent

stevedent New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Westminster
    Pablo and Pow-Pow

If Pow-Pow plays mid during the playoffs, I would like to see Pablo pushed to the back line and Wes sitting on the bench.

6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    That's because it's so obvious that we are missing the finishing. If we could finish our chances consistently then I would say MLS Cup here we come!!!

I just worry that we won't find it before it is too late.

7. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Re: Pablo and Pow-Pow

I would not go that far, wes hart isn't all bad. he had a pretty decent game on friday night. I'd like to see him in, just so there won't be any disruptions of that back line. the way it is now, is how it has been it's strongest all season. i think pablo and powell in the middle with chung and henderson/beckerman on the wings would be great.

8. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Re: Re: What do the Rapids need to work on for the playoffs?

casey was out with a bruised foot. i think he's all better now, being listed as "probable".

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Agreed - finishing is the issue. Enough chances Friday night but they either went right to the keeper or in the stands. It's been a few days and my brain hurts, but I don't recall Chung getting a shot on goal during the run of play. I do recall a free kick directly to the keeper (see above). CC really needs to start finishing his chances, he had a couple of easy (for me to say) chances.

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go for finishing as well. Without the goals you will not advance in a home-home agg. series. The away game for the Rapids will be key, they will need to get a goal or two so that they can come home and use Invesco as an advantage.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I too think finishing. That was the reason we tied SJ ... I too think CC needs to regain his confidence and we'd be all set.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CC is indeed the key. How many goals does he have this season? (I'm too lazy to go look it up.) 5? He's been terrible inside the 18 this year. Very frustrating.

Chung and Spencer will be there but someone else needs to step up as well.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other issue is the midfield, particularly the central midfield pairing.

When the Rapids first started playing well, it was Becks and Trembly hustling through the center of the park. Then Pablo got back and it was Pablo and Becks. Then Pablo and Becks got suspended and it was Crawford and Trembly. Then Powell and Becks, and Powell and Trembly. I'm getting dizzy just from writing down all the various combinations.

Lots of possibilities but what will be the correct one? I would think Pablo and Becks (still not sure Powell is a true member of this team quite yet), though I'm not sure I trust Pablo to get through a game without picking up a red (and maybe he won't heal anyway).

Glad I'm not the coach on this one.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    This is more of a hunch ... and it sort of based on hearing players (specifically Spencer) and Hanki talking about Powell ... but it sounds as if Powell in time would become the best of the three.

So I'd like to see Powell and Pablo ... Pablo over Becks simply because of the intimidation based on play/reputation he'd bring to the table.

15. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    I'd venture that Henderson has been the worst when it comes to finishing.

Chris has three goals and 6 assists. But to be fair, he's listed as a forward but he's playing more of a withdrawn forward or A-mid role. His job this year has been to spring Chung and Spenny and if you take at look at their stats, apparently he's doing his job.

16. thasquad33

thasquad33 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    boulder
    i would have to say finishing. we get three or four excellent opportunities a game, and manage to maybe, maybe snuff out one. i dont know how many games we won with a spot kick. im happy, though, with spenny and cc up front. not the biggest, but their speed, intelligence, and creativity easily makes up for that. in mid, i like seein chung, pablo, becks, and henderson. come the 60/65th minute, sub in crawford/piserchio/kingsley. at the back, im happy with richie, robin, bug, and powell. wes seems lost at times and doesnt click with the other backs. with powell, we have a strong presence, control, and smarts, not to mention someone who knows how to time his runs and do something intelligent with the ball. this will lead to more opportunities as well. i always say that defense wins championships, and i think we have the best. nothing short of la will do now. lets get this. tha cmac

17. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'll take finishing for $500 Alex.

Also I think although CC hasn't scored alot he has played a key role in most of our goals. Maybe not directly with an assist or anything but maybe by drawing defenders due to his threat.

Can you imagine how things would be if we kept Agogo insetad of trading for CC?