What current players will make WE's "Classic National Team" rosters?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Auriaprottu, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just wanted to get some input on what current players BigSoccer gamers think will be included in future Winning Eleven classic teams, how long it will be before Konami adds newly retired players and who might be bumped from the rosters to make room for new talent.

Classic Brasil- Will Ronaldo (a sure thing) or Romario (probable) bump Careca or Muller from the list? Does Ronaldinho belong among the Classic Selecao, or is it too early to tell? I think Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and Claudio Taffarel should go.

Classic France- I think Zidane and Vieira, maybe Barthez will make it, but who will they replace?

Classic Holland- Edwin van der Sar should go, and Bergkamp as well. Is Jongbloed (sp?) on the team? If so, there should be some penalty to the gamer for playing him and Cruijff at the same time.. :D

Classic Italy- Is Buffon or Toldo better than Zoff? Who will start? Maldini is a given, perhaps more than any other current player. Totti has a chance, IMO.

Why is there a classic Holland (a two-time failure in the Final match) but no classic Uruguay (a two-time World Cup winner)? I'm not begrudging the Dutch a spot, given their bittersweet contribution to footballing tactics, but only one former champion has been omitted. A shame. They should both be there.

Classic Germany- Kahn is a given, but does he start? Are there any other current German greats who belong on the classic side?

Feel free to discuss any teams I may have overlooked.

2. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Classic England: Shearer in for Francis.
    I've always thought Beardsley should be in there too.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Because nobody knows any of Uruguay's players.

4. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only one I can think of is Francescoli. Plus Holland has done a lot more for football in general then Uruguay has so they deserve it. :p

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can recall a few names from EA's FIFA World Cup '98 (or was it FIFA '99?). While an important word like "should" doesn't seem to fit into the concept of a video game -it ain't that important- yes, Konami should do the research. At the end of the day, it's their job to know, if they're going to put out classic teams.

Uruguay is a two-time World Cup champion -the original World Cup champion- I'd say that's enough to merit having a classic team, especially if a two-time finals failure is included for "contributions to the Game". I'm not suggesting Holland be dropped- I'm saying World Cup champions should definitely be honored if teams that have never won a World Cup can be.

I'm not absolutely sure you're correct on this, tho I'm leaning toward your being so. To know for sure, we'd have to do research on the contributions Uruguay made before Holland became a world power. Publications and websites that favor both Europe and recent history would make this research difficult. Besides, national teams exist to win the World Cup and a confederation tournament. Uruguay has done both. Holland has not.

And by your logic, Argentina doesn't deserve a classic team. They have no more Cups than Uruguay, and aside from Maradona and DiStefano, they've conbtributed no more to the Game than Uruguay.

6. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    I agree with his point about holland, actually. look at it not on a national team level but also on a club level. dutch league teams like ajax feyenoord and psv have contributed so much to the game through their youth programs, and have served as a stepping stone toward future greatness for players like bergkamp, ronaldo, van nistlerooy, davids, and so on. The eredivisie is reknowned worldwide as a league where players can go and develop. there are some future greats playing in the dutch league right now. and programs like ajax, whille definitely self-serving in some of their motives, have done a great service to african football as a whole by bringing in several generations of young african players and enhancing their skills, tactical nous, and so on, thus undeniably enriching the quality of football on the continent as well as worldwide. but then again, i suppose some of the same comments could be made about the french league, so...

uruguay is something of a futbol backwater at this point, really. they have some great players, recoba, forlan, and so on, but they're not the same quality side they once were, while holland have remained a top team (when they're qualifying for the world cup, at least) worldwide since their emergence.

also, theres a greater range of players from diff. eras to pick from for holland, which you dont really have in uruguay.

7. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Couldn't have said it better. You really know your stuff.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All good points, hala cosmos.

I recall that World Tour Soccer 2002 dealt with this issue of classic club football (that is essentially what you've posted about- my comments were related to national team success and the resulting "classic" status) by putting a number of classic club teams into the game.

Again, Uruguay has two World Cups. While Holland has a great national team, I cannot stress enough that they are without success on the world's greatest stage. If national teams are going to be selected for classic status, success on the pitch ought to be the main, if not sole, factor in deciding who gets in and who does not. Wins mean more than "influence", regardless of when those wins took place. Hope this makes the priorities clear.

The best way to solve this issue would be for Konami to actually research the Game's history rather than relying on the recent past, and include many of the world's great teams. I have no problem with Holland's inclusion, but there's no question that every champion belongs on this list if any non-champions are there.

I don't have any experience with Konami's games before WE6, but I'd be interested in knowing if France was included as a classic team prior to their finally experiencing success in 1998.

9. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Yeah, agreed. I'd kill a man for a classic club teams mode, but that would take lots of research and confuse some of the 'fans' of frontrunners like ManU, Real, Milan, and so on, who know nothing outside of the last 10 years of football history. (I don't consider myself a scholar or anything, but I've made an attempt to learn the history of the game and absorbed alot in the last 10-15 years)

One thing i thought EA did right in their FIFA series was the historic teams option in WC '98 (is my year right for this?)

they set up a tourney where you could start with a team from the early days (uruguay, hungary) and play up through england '66, all the classic brazil, argie, dutch teams, and so on. pretty cool feature. I wish theyd put a 'dream team' custom feature in winning eleven 9...ronaldinho recieving from cryuff then setting up pele would be sweet.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not to worry- those people never stopped playing FIFA :)

Yeah, I think it was WC '98. I had RTWC '98 (the last great footy game from EA, AFAIK.), WC '98, and FIFA '99 on N64. Then I got a PSX, bought FIFA 2000 and 2001. Then I got a PS2 and bought World Tour Soccer 2002. The guys I was playing against got tired of getting beat down in FIFA and changed games on me. WTS made the games a lot more competitive. I did break down and buy FIFA 2003 while I was waiting for WE6 to launch stateside, but I haven't played it since WE6 came out. I never bought or played another FIFA game.

Strange thing- WC '98 was unbelieveably hard for me to win on. I'll never understand why, but it was. never won a World Cup beyond level 1 on that one.

I remember that tourney. Never did too well it that, either.

I wish theyd put a 'dream team' custom feature in winning eleven 9...ronaldinho recieving from cryuff then setting up pele would be sweet.[/QUOTE]

That would be great!

World Tour Soccer 2002 gave you the option of copying players to other teams. That's very close to what you're describing. When I was playing WTS, we all got together and had a big draft (there were four of us) and we took turns picking players until each guy had filled his 22-man roster. The rules were: Current players only, no edits of any kind. Then we each chose one of the D2 English league put our players on it, created names and custom kits. We played about once every two weeks for hours on end, fueled only by beer and fast food. Good times, those.. My lineup was defense heavy.

3-5-2
    GK Chilavert
    DF Ayala
    DF Maldini
    DF Nesta
    DMF Vieira
    DMF Davids
    LM Roberto Carlos
    RM Cafu
    OMF Figo
    CF Hasselbaink
    CF RVN

I forget the second XI, but I remember that Romario, Van Der Sar and Robbie Fowler were on it.