What Country Would You Rather Live In?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dammit!, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Yeah, because we all know the Wal-Marts, Starbucks, Gaps, Barnes & Nobles, Home Depots and Burger Kings are so different from state to state, not to mention the variety of SUVs and Mini-vans we can drive to them in.

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Can we watch??

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, this is true of way too much of the world now. McDonalds on the Champs Elysee' is a disgrace in any language! And no, I'm not picking on McDonalds. It's just that all over Europe and the Caribbean, wher I have traveled, brand names and franchises are taking over. It is almost as hard to find uniquely local items in Prague as it is in DC.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would love to live in Argentina, if only the system didn't make it so difficult for entrepeneurs to succeed. But I really enjoy living in the US. I found the US a great place and a challenge for somebody like me, who enjoys looking for opportunities to do business and to help people.

If I was back in my twenties, and full of energy, I would consider going to China. Everything is growing there, and there are so many opportunities right now for people with ideas. (Both in business and working with people). On the other hand, the risks are great, because of the corruption. There is no real security when it comes to human rights and to protection of private property.

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Switzerland, by a long way. Lucerne would be my first choice, but I could live in any of the major cities really.

London, Vienna and Christchurch (NZ) would also be up there. NYC and Singapore would be great too. Tuscany or Provence would be my preference in terms of rural areas.

6. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    My vote is going to have to go to New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Finland, or Iceland...probably in that order. Whoever would let me play for their national team ;)

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dream? I'd love to be able to live in many different places. If I was filthy rich and could maintain homes all over the world, I'd:

1) My current townhouse in Virginia, just because.
    2) A cramped little condo in Manhattan, so I'd have a place to crash there.
    3) A townhouse in San Francisco.
    4) A little house in Ahtopol, Bulgaria, so I could write in solitude, and visit Istanbul from time to time.

5) An apartment in an older building in downtown Sofia, Bulgaria, so my wife and I have a place to stay when we visit.
    6) A cabin somewhere in Western Nebraska, when I need to hide.

And so forth. Once I learn my way around Western Europe, I'll probably have a couple of places to add. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't mind living somewhere in Western Europe, maybe Scandinavia. Just for kicks. I once came close to moving to Istanbul. I regret not doing so--I loved that city.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And it's not tourists driving this trend, it's locals. Why?

Maybe the same reason that they succeed in the US - fast, cheap food. You don't have to wait a half-hour for some slop, and you probably don't have to worry as much about a clean kitchen, you don't have to suffer some indifferent waiter.

I've seen KFC in places in Thailand where few expats are and mom'n'pop fried chicken places abound with cheaper chicken. Yet KFC thrives. Maybe you don't get as many contaminants in the food there.

You can lament the passing of these things all you want, but it's the customers who decide what gives them the best deal.

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    And when they're suffering from the same obesity-related health problems as are Americans, they'll have only themselves to blame.

10. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you, and I understand that they are successful in large part because of their lack of diversity (i.e. if you go into a McDonalds, you pretty much know what you are going to get). At the same time I do lament the loss of local and regional identity that this entails.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    love it as well

Ahhh...yes....Luzern: http://www.sengers.ch/luzern/luzern/luzern.asp

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    If I had to eat lutefisk, I'd welcome the early grave and happily reside in hell

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there is a Hamburger Quick a few doors down from the McDonalds on the Champs Elysee -- is that are fault too (last I checked, Quick is a Belgian company)?

And Pret a Manger, an English company is opening sandwhich shops in New York.

Things and times change. What is so wrong with people deciding what they want. I prefer eating a hamburger at a local diner or a pub than at McDonalds. Some people, for economic reasons or taste or whatever, prefer McDonalds.

No one is putting a gun to your head and saying "Get a Big Mac Now!"

Well, maybe Halliburton is, but I doubt it.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is called personal responsibility. It is what separates citizens from subjects.

15. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I should have put in a smiley. I seem to be getting a lot of grief for a joke. Anyway, I am commenting on the loss of cultural identity, which I see as sad, but also largely inevitable.

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry! Usually, I am the one making the statement that people misunderstand as serious.

And I Agree with you. But I am sure that 16,000 years ago, Ugg was complaining that all the kids in the cave were starting to wear skins like the kids in the next cave. You cannot tell them apart anymore!

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Switzerland.

I have spent a lot of time in Lausanne with my company. Beautiful country. It could be 50 degrees in the town and you can still see the snow falling on the mountains in the distance. Also, quick access to France, Germany and to Milan to see Shevenko play.

18. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Laaawden's full of Cockney's though. .

19. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Sorry, you seem to be making out thats a disadvantage....... :confused:

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've travelled for most of my adult life, seen a lot of Asia in particular, and lived in England for almost six years and only last year went back to Holland. The quality of life in Holland is better than in any place I've been to. That said, if I win the lotto tomorrow I'll immediately buy a villa in the south of Spain and retire there. And overall, I much prefer the European way of life to anywhere else.

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'd rather be a Geordie than a Cockney.

22. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

My condolances.... which hospital do you want me to send a donation to?

:p

23. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D Shaaat It. ;)

24. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Your avving a giraffe aint ya? ;)

25. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Fook, if i had my latest copy of the Viz handy, i would know loads of Cockney Rhyming slang. :D :D ;)