What Country Would You Rather Live In?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dammit!, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Discuss.

And I mean right now. And assuming there are no immigration restrictions, etc.

2. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you mean outside of the USA -- England or France. Canada ain't bad either.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US. While the country is an economic time bomb if changes aren't made, and the politics are ****ed up to say the least; this country is still one of, if not the, freest nation on Earth. Things could change dramatically on many levels over the next century, but for the moment the US is my home.

Edit: if I had to move, career situation notwithstanding, I'd say: possibly any area of Scandanavia, Italy, Ireland, Spain, the Netherlands or Austrailia.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally i would like to be anywhere else right now, but not due to the election, i just want to see the world.

i really liked ecuador, my family says canada is really nice, st kitts is a really, really nice island, and many places in europe sound amazing.

edit: whats with this new trend on bigsoccer where posts precede ones that were posted before it?

5. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well Ireland of course!! The Economist did say it was best country in the world to live in so that should be good enough for the rest of ye!! If I had to move I'd say Sweden.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

all of which sound awesome. hope you get to try it out someday.

7. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I don't like the cold and rain over here so I need to find a place that's warm without being rainy or humid.

Options:
    Southern Australia: Too much bugs and other creatures I don't like.
    South Africa: Too much crime.
    Southern California: Too crowded and I don't like police heli's monitoring everything I do in my backyard.
    French Riviera: Too expensive.
    Italian Riviera: Expensive.
    Spanish Costa's: Too many old people.
    Antilles: Too windy.

I guess I'm better of just staying at home, even though the weather sucks.

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Zealand

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm happy right where i am

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the current irrational redness of *waaaay* too much of the country, I still like it here. That said, I've always wanted to get out there and experience different cultures for extended periods. I'd like to live and work in a number of different cities and countries. Ottawa looks interesting. As does London, Amsterdam, and Paris. Maybe Barcelona or Rome. Japan would be an experience - I'm a big city guy by nature, so Tokyo would be cool, but I'm more interested in the rural Japanese experience.

But, I have not the financial means to unchain myself from my current situation, nor the negotiating means to separate my wife even further from her family for extended time frames. I'm sure she'd like to visit most of those places (besides Japan), but not for years at a time.

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Canada (Ontario). Same language give or take a "u", similar culture, clean, several world class cities, nice people, hockey, close to home, etc....

The soccer situation would be a big downgrade, though.

But there's no way I'm giving up on this country just yet.

12. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    id like you to explain, in detail, how we are "freer" than, say, every country in western and northern europe, australia, new zealand and canada.

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was not born American, I would hope to have been born Australian.

Any country in which their most popular patriotic song is about a hobo who steals a sheep then commits suicide rather than be arrested is one I could love.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well, you can start with the second amendment--guns are controlled far more tightly in Australia and Canada than they are here, and virtually banned everywhere else you listed. There's others, but that's the first one that leaps out at me.

As for the original question, while I was pleased with the election results and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else permanently, I still wouldn't mind living somewhere else for a couple years just for the experience. I'll most likely end up being in Japan at some point, so that won't be too bad--Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, the UK, Germany, Israel, Vietnam, and Greece also intrigue me. Of course those are all (with the exception of Australia) placed I've traveled to, but I wouldn't want to just up and move someplace I'd never been, you know? Plus in all those places, aside from the Western European ones, there are tons of neighboring countries that I've never been to, on top of which Germany is the only one of those places where I've really been all over the country, so I'd get plenty of new experiences whichever way I did it.

If I woke up tomorrow, the United States didn't exist, and I had to pick any other country to be "from", however, I'd go with Australia, no doubt about it.

15. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Something I really like about Chile. If I were to marry my current girlfriend (native born Chilean, but still too far away to think about) I wouldn't mind moving there.

If not there Australia or New Zealand would be great.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pushy little rat aren't you?

17. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd like Denmark.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, I would argue, one of the least important differences. And I'm pro-gun.

Australia, for example, has a pretty spotty censorship record. Of course, ours is rapidly heading south as well, but...

19. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    oh, so because we are allowed to have guns, we have the most freedom of any country on the planet? please... get real. think of something else.

to answer the original question, though. anywhere in scandinavia, definately.

20. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friends and family are here. Not moving.

For all of the talk of politics, freedoms and climates, friends and family trump all of them.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Either Prague or Paris, with a villa on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia or on one of the Greek islands.

22. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We miss our family. Not much else. They visit often. We love Scotland, but found London too much like New York.

My perfect plan, my perfect dream? A detached house in Edinburgh (Merchiston), a vacation timeshare in Paris (9th arrondissement), a retirement bungalow in New Zealand (along the coast between Christchurch and Kaikoura), and my five children (four by Laurel, one adopted) with dual US/EU citizenship such that they can make their own choices. I've made mine; if I'm back in the US over the next four years it's to visit someone sick, or to mourn someone dead...or for a D.C. United MLS Cup. If I'm back ever, it's some other set of familial circumstances...or for a D.C. United MLS Cup.

Of course, family always enters into it; supporting multiple households is nothing new for me, being there for extended family's something that's been done before, and I'll do it from here again if need be. But if my nuclear family asks me to return (like if my parents need me for any reason), I'll do so gladly...to gather them up and move them here!

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    City Living: Paris

Country Living: Antigua, Guatemala

24. bloon

bloon New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Well I'd prefer to live in a society that is

1.) The free'est in the world
    2.) Gives the best workers rights to it's citizens
    3.) Is a Liberal society
    4.) Charishes freedom of speech
    5.) any citizen can become rich with hardwork and good luck.
    6.) Highest miniumum wage in the world
    7.) Believes in covering every single citizen in healthcare
    8.) Best roads and public transport
    9.) Also have a very low chance of being shot
    10.) Looks after it's poor
    11.) Has some of the higest standards of living in the world.

Well, it has to be any Western European country. I'd be happy. If not, then either Australia or Canada. These imo are the best places to live in for standards of living.

25. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thrilled to be living right here in USA and despite all the complaints I don't see anyone leaving and the rest of the world is fighting to get in!

HAPPY TO BE IN USA!

God bless our President!

IntheNet