What color do we wear to honor the '02 team?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ColdCuts, Oct 4, 2002.

1. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    I know you've heard it before but bear with me:

I'm starting to get geared up for the USA - El Salvador (un)friendly on 11/17. And, I'm considering what I should wear to the match. The only jersey that I currently own is the '98 red--I know, I know, Sam's Army likes the red. But hear me out:

It would seem to me a really cool gesture, in honor of the way our boys performed in Korea/Japan, to wear one of the colors the TEAM WEARS! Yes, I understand that Sam's Army wears red to make an impact on TV but now that the team no longer wears red...

Besides, the '94 and '98 replicas are, well, they're the '94 and '98 replicas! Maybe it's time to get current. It's better to change with the times than get left behind. What do you think?

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Who cares what kind of shirt they wear. US fans wear red. Stop listening to everything Nike tells you.

3. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    US fans wear red. Wanna wear blue + white?...oh that's a great idea, blend in with the EL Salvadorians. Wear your Chelsea Scarf while your at it.

But honestly, jump sing and yell for 90 minutes, and I couldn't care less what you wear.

4. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Respectfully suggesting an amendment

There are pictures all over the web of Sammers sporting the new jerseys. Don't believe me? Do a Google search. I'm only suggesting that we evolve with the team.

Part of what I'd enjoy about wearing an '02 jersey is identifying with my team. I want people to see me wearing the jersey and recognize it for what it is--a USMNT jersey. I want to be an ambassador for the sport.

Now that the players no longer wear red, it's only fanatics like us who understand that US fans are supposed to wear red. I'm sure that, back in 1995, the founders of Sam's Army chose red to; sure, make an impact on TV, but also to identify visually with the team! I love my red '98 jersey. I always will. But, it's stubborn for Sam's Army to continue to declare that there is ONLY ONE official color for USA fans. It's a once useful attitude that has outgrown it's usefulness and now only divides us.

It's for these reasons that Sam's Army should unify the fans by amending their original credo to include the remaining colors of our flag; the colors of our team. Wasn't that, after all, the basic goal of the organization? It would achieve, finally, solidarity between ALL the US fans AND the players and put this tired debate to rest.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Sammers were all wearing the replicas, huh? Why don't you take a trip to Sams-Army.com and look at the top border of old foxboro.

6. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Your argument doesn't hold water. What color do you recommend when we play oh, say, Costa Rica?

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Red, case closed. US fans wear red.

8. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    So in order to avoid conflict with any teams, we should obviously all wear either neon green or pink.

Dude, if you want to wear blue + white go ahead. Why ya asking for an opinon when you obviously already have a good idea of what your going to do.

This topic could go on forever, and NEVER have an ending in sight. Wear what you want, just be loud.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, you're worse than my wife. she starts packing for trips like 10 days before we leave. but you're already picking out your clothes for a game that's something like 50 days away? why don't you go outside and enjoy the sunshine for awhile. then when 11.17 rolls round, climb out of bed, grab a red shirt, head to the game and have fun.
    you're really putting too much thought into this.

10. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    OMG. NO! Dude! That was part of YOUR original argument: "Wanna wear blue + white?...oh that's a great idea, blend in with the EL Salvadorians. Wear your Chelsea Scarf while your at it." Remember?!

Aw, forget it!

I guess I'll do as you suggested and and wear what I want. And, yeah, I'll be loud.

11. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Dude! YOU'RE the one with 732 posts in less than four months! Maybe YOU should go outside and enjoy the sunshine for awhile.

PS: It's super lame that you bust my chops just 'cause I care more about this than you do.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you wear ************ing red

it doesn't matter what the team is wearing... we wear red

it doesn't matter what the other team is wearing, we wear red

that's how it is, that's how it goes... wear ************ing red and shut the ************ up

13. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Re: Respectfully suggesting an amendment

I could care less what you wear, but the US wasn't wearing red back in 95. Nike had them in three kits, one was white, one was navy, and was "Alpine Blue" (baby blue). So when Sam's Army started they didn't choose red to identify w/ the team because the team wasn't wearing red. Just thought that you might want to know that.

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were wearing white at Daegu. 58k Koreans were wearing red.

But I fully understand what you're saying. :D

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

there's better things to care about. wear red. really. it's the way to go. would've responded sooner, but you know, I was outside playing soccer all day sunday. in the sunshine. very nice. thanks for the suggestion.

16. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Are there 65,000 members of Sam's Army? Cause if so that was one hell of a show against SK in the World Cup in Dageu. Colors are for cheeleaders and Soccer Mom's. Bring your aguante and who gives a fvck what you wear?

17. pweakland

pweakland Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Respectfully suggesting an amendment

Good point. Sam's Army should stop being so damn stubborn. Maybe we should all wear green to any matches on St. Patrick's Day. And definitely wear black to any match on September 11th or December 7th. Green, again, for any Arbor Day matches. Red for Valentine's day. Scary masks for Halloween. Cowboy hats for matches in Texas. Dress up like Jeff Spicoli for any matches in California. Etc...

18. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Uncle!

Okay, okay! OKAY!

I GIVE ALREADY! Jesus. Why don't you fellas tell me how you REALLY feel? Damn. I'm sorry I even asked.

Okay, collectively, you've persuaded me to save the money I was gonna spend on a WC '02 shirt, wear my RED jersey to the game, AND be loud.

Now, would you kindly remove your foot from my a$$? :)

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Exactly! Even if it a 1996 home jersey.

:D

Sachin

20. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I still wore red that day.

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: Uncle!

No

22. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't wear red or white.

I was kissing the shield on my Mathis 02 blue.

23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw! Poor guy..everyone's being so mean, LOL. Wear red and white I guess. Hey, will that game be on TV???? I really doubt it cause ABD/ESPN sucks big time...

24. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making people where red doesn't seem very American to me. The US section at World Cup was a great, mix of red, white and blue. I think this is more representative of our country - in that, the effect, seemed to symbolize the great mix of people who populate it.

I think letting US supporters wear whatever patriotic color or colors they want, looks better in the stadium, on TV and in photos - as long as they are sitting and cheering together.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ColdCuts and every other fan out there should wear what ever color they want to wear. At this point it's more important to just have fannies in the seats. Wear pink or whatever ... just be loud.