What channel will USA v. Mexico WCQ be on?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by scmcbride21, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I watched the first three Team Mexico matches on UNIVISION. So there are more choices, and my brother could watch any match on is cell phone. Though he probably won't do it, option is there with a .tv.

2. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed Sunil Gulati with this:

Dear Mr. Gulaty,

It has been a pleasure to be a United States soccer fan in the last month. Watching the team beat Spain and almost beat Brazil was very enjoyable to watch and give me hope next year for South Africa. Today I email you because on August 12 we have a very important game against our rivals Mexico in Mexico City. This is a place we have never won and with the play we showed against Spain and Brazil I think most people who follow the team think we can beat Mexico, and I am surely confident in our ability to beat Mexico. However it has been reported that the game will be broadcast in English through NBC's small channel of telemundo 2. Mr. Gulaty this leaves a lot of United States fans with out a channel to watch the game as they are usually on the ESPN family of networks. Can you get the game moved to the ESPN family of networks as I know a lot of American fans would be disappointed not to be able to witness history on August 12.

Thank you,

Tyler Layton

This is what I got back from him:

[FONT=&quot]Tyler:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for your email and your support of the MNT. Unfortunately this decision is in the hands of the Mexican Federation and they have sold the rights to Telemundo, so it’s impossible for us to force a shift. As of a day or two ago, ESPN was still working diligently on securing English language rights.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sunil Gulati[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It looks like ESPN is really trying to get this game that would be great if they did.
    [/FONT]

3. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I'd like to know what Telemundo is asking for in exchange for the right to this game. I hope they're not being bastards and putting a price so high that it's out of reach. What would they gain by excluding easily accessible English language coverage?

4. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even speak Spanish but I prefer to watch the Spanish language broadcasts.

5. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In many cases I agree with that. I really don't like John Harkes as a color commentator. I actually liked Eric Wynalda better before ESPN got rid of him. ESPN should hire up Andy Gray for next years World Cup to do some matches like they did for Euro 2008.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes is a good color guy because he explains the simple parts of the game to people who aren't familiar with soccer. I watched the game against Spain with my father who is a soccer newbie but is interested, and he kept commenting on how Harkes helped him understand the strategy.

7. arswift

arswift New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's bad. I just prefer others. Maybe because I'm a veteran of the sport I prefer how someone sounds as opposed to teaching me the simple things about the beautiful game. Pluses and minuses to each though. :)

9. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes arswift you are right those are the correct addresses if you can't think of anything to send those people at NBC send them this:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am an American soccer fan. Yes, we do in fact exist, and we are likely more numerous than you might believe.

As an American soccer fan, I was distressed to learn that the United States Men's National Team's upcoming World Cup qualifier with arch-rival Mexico will not be broadcast on a widely-available English-language network.

This is unacceptable. Soccer, and in particular the USMNT, are growing in popularity at a rapid clip. The team's recent strong showing in a tournament last month has drastically increased their profile, and more Americans than ever are following them. USA-Mexico is not only a crucial game for World Cup qualification, it's also the most compelling, intriguing, and attention-worthy game on the 2009 calendar. The soccer community is anxiously awaiting the match, and will watch in larger numbers.

Broadcasting the game on a network few of us receive or would be forced to pay added cost for is not only unfair, it's bad business. Cutting the potential audience for the game off at the knees does not seem the best way to maximize it's potential worth to NBC Universal.

Therefore, I respectfully request that you move this match to one of your other more widely-available networks. USA Network would seem to make the most sense, though I am not picky. Please allow us, the American soccer community, see the game that we are so looking forward to. I'm convinced that this move makes sense for your company as well; aside from the millions of eyes tuned to your one of your networks, the PR ramifications are obvious.

Sincerely,
    (Your Name)

10. Jones11

Jones11 New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks for providing the email addresses arswift. My message has been sent.

11. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Why the hell would US soccer agree to this?

Is there something I'm not understanding? Doesn't US Soccer get to give the rights to their games? How can NBC's agreement with the Mexican NT override any agreements the US NT has in their own home country?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the thread that explained the whole cluter-f. I know sorta sadly understand it all.

12. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, simply put the country that hosts the game holds TV rights, including within the opposition's country. Hopefully one day FIFA gets involved, as they are the organization that is overseeing this game. I don't know - it's a complicated issue - but how it is done just does not seem fair.

13. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The problem isn't who holds the rights. It's that NBC/Telemundo is for some reason refusing to make English language viewing more accessible. It might be for contractual obligations to the shows in NBC's other channels, but at 3:00 in the afternoon, I don't think there's anything on that would get higher ratings than this match.

The least they could do is put it on USA network. That channel is often the highest rated cable network, and they often only show repeats in the afternoon.

14. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    it's really sad that this can't be put on a network like USA, NBC owns alot of networks, think back to the olympics, and this is easily the biggest match of the year.

I would thnk a live sporting event in the afternoon would take precedence over some Law and Order reruns that have probably been shown 5 or 6 times already but I guess I'm wrong.

because this mun2 is not very popular it will force some people to subscribe to it and upgrade thier systems and apparently there's more money in that for Telemundo than just offering it in english language to NBC.

15. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Telemundo wouldn't just offer the SAP button is beyond me. Fox Sports en Espanol does it when an English broadcast is available and since mun2 will show the same camera angle and same graphics and since Telemundo has a wider range of viewers it just makes sense. Heck CBS, ABC, FOX all do this when a spanish broadcast is available from a mainly english broadcast why not the other way around for Telemundo who is owned by NBC.

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That time frame my local NBC affiliate airs Dr. Phil and Oprah. There is no chance that the NBC affiliate pulls Oprah for soccer.

17. gewyglop

gewyglop Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Do you all really need someone speaking English to tell you what you are watching?

Telemundo spent a lot of money to secure the rights. They will make more money having the exclusive US broadcast than they would re-selling it to ESPN who would want to run their own ads.

I remember the days when no soccer was on TV or we would have to go to a convention center and pay to watch it on closed circuit TV. I can miss JP Delecamera for one game.

18. saucysalesman

saucysalesman New Member

May 27, 2009
    State College,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably just watch the telemundo broadcast with no volume and then turn on the english radio broadcast and listen to that.

19. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not very many people are going to suck it up and watch it in Spanish? I've learned a lot of interesting Spanish by watching games on Univision, Telemundo and Telefuturo (though the latter always screws up the sound on SuperLiga games).

My sister actually has mun2, which is weird.

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    More people should think like you. It's always better to expand your horizons and learn a new language.

Hey saucysalesman, since when are usmnt games broadcast on radio?

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What English radio broadcast?

22. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ehh, I'm just learning more of a language that I already know. I'm going to Spain next week, and I get to practice.

23. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Telemundo and mun2 made an official announcement today about the game. It's even on the US Soccer website. Looks like some of you will be brushing up on your spanish.