What are you doing about languages? (German language primer)

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by mandrake, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you say pizza?

2. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For people with odd pronounciations of pizza, you can go with the "ts" sound in tse-tse fly.

:D

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    If we're talking pronounciations, this needs to be repeated (copied from the site linked above) - seriously, I don't know how often I have seen the pronounciation described wrong on Bigsoccer alone :D:

"Ch" is a German sound which causes English speakers severe problems as it does not occur naturally in the English language, and varies in sound depending on its position in the word and the sound which precedes it.

1. "Ch" following the sounds "a", "o", "u", or the diphthong "au"
    The Scots are at a distinct advantage here however, as the sound required is the one heard in "Loch Ness". Or imagine the rasping guttural sound made in the back of your throat before you spit!

2. "Ch" following "e", "i", "ä", "ö", "ü", the diphthongs "eu" or "äu" and the consonants "l", "n" or "r".
    Whereas "ch" in the previous instance was a sound formed in the back of the mouth, this is one formed in the front of the mouth. Imagine saying the English words "humour" or "humane", but breathe with the tip of the tongue touching the back of the lower front teeth.

5. The sound "chs"
    The German "chs" is pronounced like the English words "oxen" and "vixen" as a clear "ks" sound

6. The sound "ck"
    The German sound "ck" behaves just like the English consonant "k". The vowel preceding it is always short and stressed.

4. FCBblaze

FCBblaze New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Ich finde Deutsch sehr einfach. Es ist so wie Englisch. Alle sollen Deutsch lernen. Unfortunately, German wasn't the most practical language to take in the US. Oops. Ich liebe Deutsch und ich glaube dass es eine schöne Sprache ist.

Spater!

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Not that I want to take anything away from the English language, but I would guess that the origins of those words (like Theater) are in almost all cases Greek or Latin ;).

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Re: What are you doing about languages?

That would mean that you'd not really care about Dallas' decision.
    I think AGF Aarhus' explanantion is pretty dead on.

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the best way of learning German or learn about Germany is

find nice german friends or girlfriends/boyfriends

finding friends help you to learn the language and the country

and your trip in Germany will be more interesting..

:)

Gruss

bltleo
    Germany

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Then please contribute something more to the thread!
    zum Bespiel, wie sagen Sie (wie Sie sagen?):
    "We know you have a good team. Too bad you lost."
    "We were lucky. You should have won."
    "Better luck in South Africa!"
    "Well, you would have had to play Brazil anyway."

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you sign a note for me so my wife will be understanding on this point?

:)

10. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Ha, that's funny. But wouldn't it actually be better to learn those phrases in Czech and Italian?

11. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget Akan, Moshi-Dagomba, Ewe, and Ga! Also, he's thinking of later rounds... we must be gracious in victory to our hosts. The thoughtful BigSoccer devotee will also learn these phrases in Portuguese, Japanese and Croatian*.

*I think asking someone to learn how to speak Australian is just cruel.

;)

12. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol

you are funny..

I say it diplomatic: "make a friends in Germany"..it is the best way of learning German...and official slogan of the world cup is also "it is a time to make friends"

bltleo
    Germany

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol....Americans are going to "have communication" with Czechs and Italian
    in Germany:)

the more languages you know, the better..

Bltleo

14. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas
    Well...first day of German class today and I'm already behind. I don't think she realizes that it's a 101 class. She says by next week we won't be allowed to speak English! It's going to be challenging to say the least.
    However, there are a couple of cute girls in the class. Even better, the professor is HOT. Very.
    I don't plan on missing class...ever!

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Of course, but that's a different thread! This is German primer!
    P.S. Let's see what altavista has to say: We know that you have a good team. Too bad that you lost. We were lucky. You should have won. Better luck in South Africa. Well, you would have had to play Brazil anyway.
    Sappiamo che avete una buona squadra. Troppo difettoso che avete perso. Eravamo fortunati. Dovreste vincere. Fortuna migliore in Sudafrica. Bene, avreste dovuto giocare comunque la Sudafrica.
    Wir wissen, daß Sie eine gute Mannschaft haben. Zu schlecht, das Sie verloren. Wir waren glücklich. Sie sollten gewonnen haben. Besseres Glück in Südafrika. Gut würden Sie Brasilien irgendwie spielen gemußt haben.

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    My reasons for 2 years of German & 1 of Russian in college! Ja, jene huebschen Maedchen! те милые девушки! (Te milye devotchki? bablefish again, I think I learned more Russian reading "A Clockwork Orange"!)

17. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Don't let them distract you! Focus on your goal. Yeah, who am I kidding? Good thing it doesn't count towards a degree. My last semester (more like 1/2 semester) at OU, I was in Spanish 101, got behind in the first week, and never recovered. Luckily the university was kind enough to give me W's instead of F's (of course they kept the money).

Oh, and tell your professor...
    Ich habe keine Krankheiten! Machen wir einen 'drauf!

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    don´t worry about your German language skills, my English is not the best as well:)

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Holy ********, grammar rape!

Here we go ;):
    "We know you have a good team. Too bad you lost."
    Wir wisse, dass ihr eine gute Mannschaft habt. Schade, dass ihr verloren habt!

"We were lucky. You should have won."
    Wir hatten Glück. Ihr hättet den Sieg verdient gehabt!

"Better luck in South Africa!"
    Mehr Glück in Südafrika!

"Well, you would have had to play Brazil anyway."
    Naja, ihr hättet sowieso irgendwann gegen Brasilien spielen müssen.

20. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you say "handball" in Deutsch?

21. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're listening to Pimsleur German CDs while in the car. Actually learning stuff. Interesting method.

22. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hand = Der Hand
    Ball = Der Ball (maybe Das)
    Play = Spiel

German = Ein/Der Handballspiel

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's OK, we can all help each other. That's what this thread is for. :)

Bltleo, your post here does remind me of a story my mother once told years ago, on a return to the U.S. from a vacation in Mexico (one of her oldest friends lives and works in the medical profession there, so she went down for a visit) -- coming back on the plane, she was sitting next to a gentleman and they were having a rather long conversation. How that came about is that he admitted that his English was only just good enough (just how you think yours is) while my mother admitted that her Spanish wasn't quite fluent, either.

So they decided to talk to each other in the other's native language, for the purpose of communicating to the other one's ears. I guess that worked out pretty well with them, during the long flight.

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Vielen Dank!

25. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Just started this myself. Most of it I still recall from HS, but I was happy with the first 2 lessons. The 30 minute classes fit in perfectly with my commute.

Which set are you using? I have the 6 CD set, but I have a feeling I'll need the 10-disk.