What are you doing about languages? (German language primer)

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by mandrake, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    a large percentage of germans speak english...

in fact, most of europe you'd get away with NOT speaking the native language....

unless your car breaks down on a rural dirt path, you'll be ok....

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Re: What are you doing about languages?

Amerikaner? Ich komme aus Kalifornien. Unsere Gubenator ist Arnold Schwartzenegger!

3. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everyone in Germany speaks English. Most of them speak it better than us. Nobody should have any trouble communicating.

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Langenscheidt's "Jiffy Phrasebook" in German. It's small, has a vinyl cover, and pretty much covers all the phrases you could need: from booze, to food, to the hospital (hopefully you won't need that), it pretty mcuh covers it all.

[​IMG]

5. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Re #8, well, that's what you get when you ask me something like that. it is direct and to the point. ;)

9. You're correct. Too many languages in my head. In German the article takes the case of the subject, I was thinking feminine 'cause he was speaking to a women (usually). Mittreffen was a bit of swag and unnecessary. The "with" is implied in German IIRC.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is that volume relatively easy to pick up?

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Wrong.

8. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

My parents and lots of other relatives of mine can't speak English at all and there are lots more.

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't look too heavy.

;)

Try this link for that book on Amazon.

Should be just under $8. Sounds like a decent investment.

10. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bitte sehr!

I got it at Borders within the last two years - I think it is on Amazon for about $7.95

Alles gute.

11. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you are saying that Germans would know to use "we" instead of "us", right?
    :D

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Oddly enough, the German word for heavy is schwer, which is also the German word for difficult or hard.

:D

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in your case Mike, they BOTH apply:eek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that:D

Kidding aside, you'll be glad to know that all of us up here in New England are Steeler fans for the day!

GO STEELERS!

15. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

Have to agree. This idea that everybody speaks English is completely wrong. My girlfriend speaks perfect English. Her brother and parents barely speak a word. about half of her friends speak English well, while the other half are useless.

I also have a lot of relatives in Germany and only three of the 50 or so I have met speak passable English. By passable I mean able to give simple directions and answer very basic questions. The others, if for instance asked 'Where is the train station?', would respond with a blank stare.

16. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I linked that in a previous page. But I think you missed his point. He's linking to a book called "Wicked German", part of the Wicked Travel series. Here's a review from Soccerphile:

For those of you with a similar bent, here's an important phrase I didn't learn until I lived in Germany (not generally taught in courses): Scheiss egal! And here's usage in a sentence. "What was Hugh Dallas thinking when he didn't call a handball there?!? SCHEISS EGAL!!"

19. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    'Scheiss egal' means 'I don't give a sh!t' and is both very useful and common. I'm not sure if it really applys to Hugh Dallas, as I imagine I would like to know what he was thinking. My example sentence:

'Do you prefer blonds or brunettes?'

'Scheiss egal, so lange die grosse titten haben!'

20. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard it used as "it doesn't matter" and in the sense of "screw that" or even where I'd use "motherf&cker!" It's all in the context. It's literally more "It's all ********", isn't it?

21. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    I haven't heard it in that context. I'll defer to a native speaker.

It's literally 'It's sh!t to me' (Es ist mir scheiss egal), which of course makes no sense in English.

What I usually hear in the situation you described is 'blöde Scheisse!' or 'verdammted Scheisse!', but again I'll defer to a native speaker. As you say, these terms don't normally popup in classes or guidebooks, so the fact that I haven't heard it used in your context certainly doesn't mean that it's wrong.

In place of a term to describe copulation with ones mother (god I hate trying to find ways to describe profane language here), I've found the standard is 'Kinderficker'.

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's another post in the ongoing series of German language primers.

The German alphabet.

Most of the letters sound the same as they do in English. Some of the exceptions:

German W sounds like English V. In the list of who/what/where/when/why given back in post #38, the German equivalents are "wer/was/wo/wann/warum" but each of those words starts with a V sound, so they sound like "verr / vass / voh / vahn / varoom". For the most part, whenever you see a W, just pretend to be Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes "Ve have vays of makingk you talk!" and you'll be fine.

German V sounds like English F. The term "wieviele" means "how much" -- for example, if you're in a store and you point at something and say "wieviele" the shopkeeper will tell you how much it costs. It's pronounced "vee feela."

German J sounds like English Y. "Ja" (yes) is pronounced like "Ya". Again, think Colonel Klink.

German does not have a "th" sound. That's why many of the Germans you know, when they speak English, will say "zis" or "dis" instead of "this" -- they're just not used to the "th" sound. If you see "th" in a word it usually just sounds like a "t", but it's not that common, except in words imported from English (like "Theater", prounounced "tayater").

German Z sounds like English "ts" -- "Zimmer" (room) is pronounced "tsimmer" but they will probably understand you if you use the regular English Z sound.

Here is a site that I found which has some examples of all of the different letters with pronunciation. Enjoy!

23. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An easy way to handle this is to pronounce it like the "zz" in pizza.

24. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Please don't follow this advice. I teach German. Go with the "ts".

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I don't know about you, but I pronounce the word "pizza" as "peatsah."

:)