What are you doing about languages? (German language primer)

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by mandrake, Jan 5, 2006.

1. dosacero

dosacero New Member

May 19, 2005
    NYC
    Re: What are you doing about languages?

Learning another language is never a bad idea. Also, there could be some good looking chicas in your class as well.

2. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

First lesson:

Du hast schoene braune Augen. Ich bin geil.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan

"Ich bin ein Berliner" is the correct way to say what Kennedy wanted to say in high German. I would have said it exactly the same way.

And Bavarians suck at German anyway... ;)

4. J-Justice

J-Justice Member

May 2, 2004
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Club:
    VfL Osnabrück
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!!!!!!!

Anyway, to contribute something useful to the thread, everyone has been right so far. I've spent two months in Germany, and they really do appreciate it if you try speaking German with them. You can tell they know you're foreign, but some will speak German back to you, in retail places they usually switch to English.

I did notice some people are afraid to speak English with you, but I think more often than not Germans want to practice their English (younger Germans that is.) Taking the 101 class is a great idea, and you'll find that your German gets better after a few drinks :D

I'll be in Salzburg for 3 months leading up to the WC, I just hope I get tickets - but that venting is for another thread!

5. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bought the same one.... got 6 mos to get good at it

6. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus

Remember that this is the World Cup. It might be helpful to know ANY language other than English.

German will be quite useful I imagine. Some of you German students might also appreciate the difference in dialect between the host cities. Cologne and Munich, for instance.

7. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, I don't appreciate it at all.

My German Teacher: "The problem is, the only people who actually speak what you are learning is professors and students who are learning German."

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It sounds like it good idea, but really depends on your educational goals.

If you can apply it as a credit and it will help motivate you to study and have a great time in Germany, it's all good. If you already have a full schedule (class and the rest of your life), it may be hard to dedicate the needed time to do it well.

Anything learned in class will be a plus. Also most German classes discuss German culture and customs. In one semester you won't be able to understand much, but it may help looking at a menu or train schedules a lot easier. It should help in pronouncing and looking up words in a Worterbuch(dictionary).

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe we should have a basic German language thread here for people who don't want to take a class.

Some basic pronunciation: the vowel combination ie sounds like long e in English, ei sounds like long i (prounced like the word eye). so Bier sounds like beer, and Stein sounds like stine. (We can try to use appropriate vocabulary for this informal class, like "Bier" and "Stein". :D)

If you see a big funky B in the middle of a word, it's called an ess-zet and is pronounced like a double S. So you may see something that looks like "MaB" which is pronounced "mass" -- which, by the way, means the big honking mug of beer you get at the beer gardens.

Someone wanna cover umlauts?

10. mandrake

mandrake Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Silver Spring

I'd second that motion. It would be cool to have a thread of a few essential phrases (yes, yes, I know, insert beer joke here), like Wwhich way to the train station?" type stuff.

I guess it's just as easy to look it up in a phrasebook, but how often am I going to want to say "Gebrauchen Sie Insektenvertilgungsmittel!" ("Use insecticide") which is actually phrase #656 in my little book here. I'm sure we could come up with a better list.

11. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas

I can't do anything with this class except learn...I already have my degree, so...I suppose it'll be nice to go back and learn something. Hoping for hot girls...cute ones at the very least :)

12. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In reality, just say "Bahnhof bitte?" with the same question inflection you would in English... it might help to look lost. Technically, it's something like "Entschuldigen Sie bitte, in welche richtung liegt den Bahnhof?" which you're not going to remember, and probably won't understand the answer in German if they gave it to you. "Vorher, ungefahr zweihundert Meter mussen Sie nach links biegen..."

If you want to start a thread and ask the easiest way to convey something in German I'm sure that you'll get a multitude of answers.

13. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's nothing too complicated with "Wo ist der Bahnhof?"

Wo - Where
    Wer- Who
    Was - What
    Wann - When
    Warum- Why

Where is - Wo ist
    How many - Wie Viele

I am - Ich Bin
    You are - Du bist
    He is - Er ist
    They are - Sie sind

Stadium - Stadion
    Bathroom - Badezimmer
    Train - Bahn

And there's this evening's quick lesson...correct me if i'm wrong on any of those...i've had one semester and it was a bad one at that :)

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great idea, Bill.

If someone wants to start such a thread, I'll sticky it -- no questions asked.

Also, I'll see if mrsbabytiger2001 would like to contribute on that thread -- her understanding of the language is probably more fluent than most other non-Germans here. In fact, if we were headed to Germany for the World Cup (which we're not, unfortunately), I'd have no problems using her as the interpreter.

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I travel overseas alot. I make it my personal policy to always get a travel guide or language book to learn at least a few phrases.

While it's true you will probably be able to get by with just English for the World Cup, it shows respect to at least try to speak some of the language. In many places around the world that's all that's needed to convince the person you're speaking to that you're not just another arrogant American that has no desire to learn another language.

Here's a top 10 phrases I always try to learn:

1. Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening
    2. My name is ...
    3. I'd like a beer, please.
    4. One more beer, please.
    5. What's your name?
    6. Can I buy you a beer?
    7. I think destiny brought us together.
    8. I want you to bear my children.
    9. No, I don't want to meet your husband/brother/father.
    10. American? No. I'm from Canada!

;) :D

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle

I imagine Germany will become practically an English-speaking country during the World Cup. Keep in mind people from all over the world, not just the English, Americans and Australians, will be counting on getting by with English.

17. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wizhawk, on your list I'd use "Toiletten" instead of "Badezimmer".

1. (Guten) Morgen/Guten Tag / Guten Abend
    2. Ich bin OR Ich heisse
    3. Ein Bier, bitte
    4. Noch eine/noch mals, bitte
    5. Wie heissen Sie/ Wie heisst du?
    6. Darf ich dir ein Bier kaufen? / Darf ich kaufen?
    7. (No idea, but with dictionary) Das Schicksal hat uns zusammen gebracht. (Probably not you'd really say, and might not be understood they way you want)
    8. Ich moechte dich ficken. ;) Ich hab dich wirklich Lieb.
    9. Nein, ich will nicht deine Mann/Bruder/Vater mittreffen.
    10. Amerikaner? Ich komme aus Kanada!

18. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin

Good job Shibb. Just a couple corrections, though.

8. should be 'Ich will ein Kind von dir.', although what you wrote is just lovely, too!

9. 'Mann/Bruder/Vater' is masculine, not femanine, so it should be 'deinen' not 'deine' (or is it 'deiner'? I hate German grammar!!!). Also, I'm not aware that 'mittreffen' is a word, but simply 'treffen' is the right verb in the case anyway, as far as I know.

19. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sweet! That'll save me a few hours of translating my English into "frontier gibberish*" German using my handy English-German dictionary!!

:D

*What it would sound like to a German.;)

20. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD

I was in Germany 2.5 years ago for about 10 days. Some of that time I had an American friend eager to practice her German and interpret. Most of the time I was on my own and didn't have much of a problem. I had 2 years of the language in HS. Stupidly, I didn't attempt to learn much, but the few words and knowledge of pronunciation was helpful.

Most staff at hotels/restaurants/bars/airports/castles/museums are probably hired because of their English. I tried asking for a room (ein zimmer?) a few times but the conversation always turned to English quickly. There was a communication barrier at an Italian restaurant in Fussen, but the attractive dark-haired waitress made it more than bearable.

It wouldn't hurt to take a beginning German course, but it's definitely not necessary. Though if you want to gain any sort of comfort, I would study with CD's, phrasebooks, etc. on a daily basis starting now. Unless you're a language genius, don't expect any miracles. It's also important to speak, not just read. Get a friend or fellow traveler to learn with you (bonus if they already know the language).

Practice the important words and phrases such as:
    --NUMBERS! When in doubt about prices, have them write it. By the way, they use commas instead of decimals ($40.00=40,00)
    --"Check please." You'll likely have to ask. Europeans don't seem to have the same philosophy of in-your-face-hurry-up-and-eat-and-pay-and-get-out customer service that we are accustomed to in the States.
    --Greetings (Hallo, Tschuss, Danke, etc.)
    --Emergencies (medical stuff, where's the bathroom?, I need a beer, I am too drunk and I'm lost and need to get to the USA match)
    --It wouldn't hurt to have a little cheat sheet in your pocket (reminds me of HS German class. Ha!).

On my French experience...
    I had to stop for gas there while driving from Germany to UK. That's when I discovered I didn't know one word of French. When I went to pay, I just held up 4 fingers (for pump #4). I guess the moral is: If all else fails, use sign language.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

Isn't slang: "Wie geht's zur Bahnhof?"
    "Wo ist ...?" should also work fine, or even "Bahnhof?"
    Ignore lengthy answers, just walk in the direction pointed & ask again in the next block or two! No one in the US needs to inquire "Excuse me, sir, but could you provide me with directions to the main train station?" The last two words suffice. Someone willing to stop & listen to your question will probably also be helpful enough to provide the correct answer or enlist the help of other passersby!

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slighly altered the thread title, and it is now a sticky, since there is valuable information in the thread that those travelling to Germany can use as a highly essential set of survival skills.

Carry on, all... keep up the good work.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just as a means of common sense, it might be a good idea to carry one of these German-English/English-German dictionaries around, merely as a last resort.

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    One valuable lesson I learned on dance floor about 20 years ago:

When you're in a club and trying to pick up the girl you just danced a few songs with, and want to head back to the table because you're getting a little sweaty from moving around, don't say

"ich bin warm"

Instead, use the phrase "es ist mir warm."

The first translates literally to "I am warm," and the second to "it is warm to me."

The problem I encountered is that "ich bin warm" is an idiom for "I am gay." ;)

25. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Maybe I'm being picky about this sticky, but it might be better to start a new thread for the purpose of educating folks on the culture also (not just language). A poll doesn't seem to be the right format for this type of thing.

Deposit 2¢, please.