What are you cooking/eating for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by melbrown, Nov 17, 2004.

1. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I know most people go the traditional turkey/ham/stuffing and all the fixin's route, but how about you? Eating something different? Ordering in from a caterer or elsewhere?

My family does the traditional thing. This year my younger sister is hosting. I'm responsible for bringing green bean casserole and this green jello salad stuff that my family loves. And for our work celebration this week, I'm making a fresh cranberry compote and sweet potatoes.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I can't decide yet. Last year I ordered a complete Thanksgiving meal from one of the local well known chefs and even though it was good, it was way too much food for only me and my mom. This year I was planning on going the BBQ route (ribs and pulled pork) and ordering from one of the local BBQ joints, but after watching several days worth of Thanksgiving shows on Food TV...I'm tempted to go back to the traditional route albeit on a much smaller scale...more specifically looking at just getting a big turkey breast instead of a whole turkey.

I need to make sure I get some pecan pie!
    :eek::eek:

EDIT

If someone can recommend a good online Thankgiving dinner retailer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, I fixed a risotto with yam and cilantro. Quite good actually.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Turkey stir fry.

You heard me.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing special. My wife has to work that day and I don't really know anyone here outside of my coworkers. I will probably sit around watching movies and eating junk food. Probably the most traditional I'll get this year will be watching the Lions play their Turkey Day football game.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We are planning to do a leg of lamb. We will either do the 40 cloves of garlic recipe or an herbal crust. Along with that, we will have oven roasted potatoes, sweet potato/carrot puree cut with Glenfiddich, green beans and a salad. My wife makes the salad and I know she has not decided on a recipe, yet. To wash it down, we will have bottles of West Slope Chardonnay, SLO Pinot Noir and Heinekens. (Sorry, I'm Dutch, so my body naturally metabolizes the stuff!)

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    My mom and dad are coming out to Colorado. We're going to a brunch buffet at a place called the Fresh Fish Company. Lots of turkey and other goodies.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family is going to have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.

Call us crazy.

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Yum! Go with the garlic but don't forget the fresh rosemary and butter!

Noah:You crazy guy, what a wild menu:D

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Ritual will be followed.

Ralph the Turkey will arise from his slumber in a nice warm bath (any one can eat ol' Tom Turkey...but we have Ralph!). Then he'll enjoy a nice hot shower and a rubdown before he heads out to repose on the front porch as he's stuffed. Then we tie him back (he's a bit of an odd bird), and place him in his own personal tanning booth (made by Weber), where he's basted in butter and wine every half hour. Ralph gets the box wine...we get the good stuff. We open the Jordan chardonnay when Ralph starts getting tan.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Going to be with relatives where HOPEFULLY my brother-in-law has perfected the deep-fried turkey thing. This will be go-round #3. Hasn't tasted right yet.

Anybody can cook a turkey (hell, i did it one year. that says a lot). Not too many can make good stuffing & gravy.

And people - remove the giblets before you cook the bird. Just a friendly public service announcement.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out my wife isn't working Thanksgiving now, so we'll have to revise this plan.

13. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Gotta have the Tofurkey for my vegetarian relatives...:)

14. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When is Thanksgiving, then i might be able to tell you what I'll eat (no, Germans don't celebrate it anymore... but hey we started picking up on halloween...)

But this saturday I'll have with some friends Chinese pasta as an apertizer, Schweinebraten (Pork), potatoes and red cabbage for main thing and as a dessert coupe denmark (vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate sauce), That#s what I'd eat for thanksgiving...

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I still really want to try Turducken or deep fried turkey but I'm going to a relative's so the menu is not in my control. I have to admit that I'm not crazy about brined turkey which is all the rage today. The NYTimes had an article Wed. by someone whose favorite method is smoking, and I tend to agree (although recipe included brining).

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Member+

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We hit a Mexican place for our family Thanksgiving dinner.

It's an annual thing.

Burritos, fajitas, chips & salsa and Corona.

17. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    My wife's aunt microwaves the turkey. It's a horrifying sight.

Thankfully we're not going there.

18. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Ok Thanksgiving is always at my house and I always do the cooking. I started planning the menu and looking through my recipes two weeks ago. The eating begins around 2pm and goes on through about 10pm. There are always a few things that “must” be made to satisfy everyone. So far I have…..

Typical chips and dip

Canapés: I’m still undecided as to if it will be smoked salmon or maybe proscuitto. It will depend on the budget, when I do my last bit of shopping.

A cheese course: Camembert, gorgonzola, parm. regiano, aged goat cheese, and the standard accompaniment.

Wild mushroom bisque.
    Baby spinach, pear and blue cheese salad.
    Corn bread and biscuits :rolleyes:
    Sausage and sage stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Herb roasted turkey
    Green beans and shallots (although I did get an asparagus recipe the other day)
    Potato salad *sigh*
    Cranberry conserve

Fudge brownies
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple pie

Things will change between now and then… I have about 20 people to feed.

19. blue_eyes_are_mine

Oct 19, 2004
    I eat Chicken and Turkey
    We eat everything in Thanksgivingday! :rolleyes:

20. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    A tip for your roast potatoes - after parboiling, scratch them around in the pot with a fork, then put the lid on and shake it about a bit - then cook them hot and quick - it makes them pleasantly crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle :)

21. Noix de Coco

Noix de Coco New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Northern VA
    I'm baking:

Pumpkin pie
    Pumpkin cheesecake
    Pecan pie
    Pumpkin bread

I'm making:

Mashed potatoes...my secret recipe

We're having, in addition:

The ususal: Turkey, cranberry salad, stuffing, green beans, other veggies, apple pie, shrimp, scallops, some other good stuff

22. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    I'm traveling to Atlanta on Thursday (OVER IT!!!) to have dinner with my bro/sis in law and my wife's parents.

This sucks.

23. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    were having our usual wild turkey.. dark and gamey and so good.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    working,,,,otherwise I would be deep frying a turkey,,,,will never ever bake a turkey as long as I live,,,deep frying is the way to go! allong with that, sausage stuffing, marshmellow fruitcocktail and sourcream ambrosia, rosemary roasted red potatos, etc....last year I had venison chops to go with the turkey,,,,soooooo goood

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    On Turkey Day!? :eek: What do you do?

Well in another 15 mins I'm leaving to drive over to Heavenly Ham to place an order for a turkey breast and mashed taters. Probably order a pie too!!