what are the odds of Nick blaming this season on mathis too?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by stinky, Nov 5, 2003.

1. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    just curious, mathis was blamed for the team failing to make the playoffs last year...

if, and that's a very very BIG IF, we don't win the mls cup ;)

what are the chances of nick blaming that solely on clint? :D

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

With Bradley already greasing the skids he won't have to.

Where was the Metrofanatic headline "Bradley says we needed more from Mathis and didn't get it" after the USOC final loss?

An objective observer might be led to believe it's not the message but the messenger that's more important around here.

It's kind of ironic I was the one posting I wanted 20% of the cost of my season tickets back last year after Mathis said he thought he could get away with giving 80% effort in MLS games and people were telling me to shut up.

Now I feel he's put out and things haven't gone his way the second half of the year.

Go figure

3. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    The whole situation with Mathis is just so sad. He's a mercurial, emotional, and erratic player, and it's those same qualities which made him so loved that have now made him now so despised. What it boils down to is that his time in MLS is over. It's just time for him to move on. Whether that's to another league, or simply to another phase of his life that's post-soccer. He deserves blame for being pretty much the only dark spot on what was otherwise - win or lose - a hard-working, promising team full of potential. His lack of effort is inexcusable. But to scapegoat him as being responsible for Metro not winning this season would be wrong and irresponsible.

I think Bob is handling the whole thing very professionally and I hope Nick will as well. There needs to be a serious assessment by all parties at the end of the year about their respective performances, aspirations, responsibilities, both in the past and for the future. Unfortunately I think it's too late for Clint to make up enough in the good graces department to stay. And I don't think he really wants to anyway. The incident on Saturday was just ugly.

We all thought Clint was going to leave after this season anyway. We just thought it would be to a European team clamoring for his services. Unfortunately, he's leaving while in the worst form - on a personal and professional level - of his entire career.

I just hope he finds a situation in life and soccer where he is happier and more productive and where we can root for the Clint we all prefer to remember to do us proud. For Metro, there are few who can seriously doubt it's time to move on.

4. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    There is a BIG difference between whatever Bradley said and "Clint cost ME the season" or whatever the exact quote was.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

You had the quote wrong then and you have the quote wrong now. It's "Clint cost US the playoffs." It was pointed out then there's a real big difference between the two versions of the quote and that's still true.

However, there is no substantive difference between what Nick said last year regarding the playoffs and what Bradley said regarding the USOC final this year: Clint cost us.

It's the messenger you're after not the message.

6. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Believe what you want to believe... But the real quote was ME. But maybe you were actually there to hear it?

7. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Here is one substantive difference.

Bob subbed Clint out of the Open Cup final and was asked why he did it. He answered the question. Actually, he answered it pretty tactfully.

8. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Byron Alvarez cost me the season.

9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I'm sorry you don't remember having to correct your own page when every publication in the tri-state area had Nick saying "us" instead of "me".

Here's how Grant Wahl and everybody else had the story.

"The latest rip came from Sakiewicz, who proclaimed this week that Mathis "cost us a playoff spot."

Maybe Wahl and everybody else who wrote about it got it wrong too.

I try to see the good in every situation though.

At least I found a source for free NE home playoff tickets (transportation on my dime of course).

10. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Believe what you want to believe.

11. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    He should be blamed. When the team is winning and he is scoring gaols, he gets all the praised. Thats all you hear, Mathis is the best, Mathis is God. Now that he is playing like crap, he should be blamed.

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were the NBA people would be speaking about possible substance abuse in the player or in the NFL maybe undetected Roids Rage. In soccer nobody ever seems to bring up either posssibility. Have to believe Clint has some type of emotional/substance problem not yet revealed. Sad if this is true and not identified earlier but just a thought I had.

13. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Mathis and Drugs

I know. Other people have suggested drugs/substance abuse here, but it always seems to not get replied to. Somebody should start a thread asking that.
    Even crazy OZ said Mathis had problems, with his famous "he should seek psychological help," line. Maybe OZ actually knew something?

14. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    The only thing OZ knew was how to make me overly happy with the team and then slowly drive them into the ground.

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mathis and Drugs

It's mentioned in the current Mathis profile in SA
    Read into that what you will.

16. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    One thing in Clint's favor is that he's still only 26. That's not too old to re-find his focus, learn some discipline and make a good career in soccer.