What are South African South Afrians like?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by TheTreasurer, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Serious question here.

What are South African South Africans like? As I think many Australians English and French will agree that many of them are the biggest arrogant tossers on the planet. I simpley refuse to ever talk to them and if I meet one or am Introduced I usually give them the cold shoulder and switch off to watch ever garbage they have to say. South Africans in Australian workplaces now are simply not hired I've lost my respect for them and any resume I recieve goes in the bin. I know I'm not the only one who does this

Although its unfair to generalise a nation like this but as many people will agree most White South Africans are like this. especielly in the above countries.

My question is though are South Africans like this in South Africa? Are they the same or different? If they act like they do in the above countries I'm simply not going to bother to talk to them.

2. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    Considering the stereotypes of these countries, that's quite ironic.

3. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Re: What are South African South Africans like?

I think this is a very real question and I've no doubt many people have thought twice about coming to South Africa after encounters with expat South Africans.

Every single week that I live in South Africa, I meet the greatest people that I have ever met in the world. The vast majority are Afrikaners but there are "English" amongst them, too. But guess what? I'd say without exception that every one of those Englishmen speaks fluent Afrikaans and is a true South African patriot.

Let's see I took my Netbook in for a cleaning before a major overseas trip.
    $5. My small town now has an auto electrician that saves a 200 km roundtrip drive. To change a burnt out headlight, including parts, R100 note, that's 10 euros!

All of these white guys have time to chat. They are highly skilled and quite able to work overseas, but they choose to stay close to family.

I have only ever bought motor vehicles from the same small dealer in Knysna. 3 times, so far over the past 8 years. Almost unthinkable when I lived in California, apart from consecutive car leasing.

There's a former Nationalist Party mayor of the town who ran as an ANC candidate who delivers milk from his farm 3 times a week. He's also the town's auctioneer and always tries to make both sides happy in a sale.

For sure, there's a few local politicos that are not welcome to knock on my door.

Bear in mind, I choose not to live in the big cities where the vast majority of South Africans hail from. I think at the top of white society, there is a sense of humility. But anywhere below, that's questionable. I send my son to one of the top South African boarding schools for him NOT to become an arrogant product of South African schooling.

Some years ago I played competitive tennis. I made many South African friends but the easiest friendships were with the successful ones; the less successful ones were always the arrogant type and one had to work through their "offense" mechanisms to find common ground.

And here's something bizarre : every time I return from South Africa to my second home on Phuket and I run into Saffers, they are the most unfriendly people on the planet!

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Lol. Sure is. Just hate the typical English and Australian mentality. French people are misunderstood.

SAns are extremely friendly in SA. They do however seem extremely frustrated en masse abroad (most of the expats I met were in Enland and an overwhelming amount of them hate England and don't want to live there; there is also a general feel), which might cause the frustration to be read as arrogance.

5. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    :) Just out of interest.....what is the typical English mentality???

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Let's not start that :D

7. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How can this possibly be a thread worth talking about? South Africa is such a diverse country that you cannot possible generalise about its inhabitants. Also strange how someone who refuses to talk to another person can have an opinion about that person. How can you throw out an opinion on behalf of France, England and Australia? Sounds like an arrogant tosser to me. And I don't even know you but I have that opinion of you already.

8. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So we should give a bit of leeway to South Africans that come across as arrogant because our country is so awful you can understand their frustration. You don't half talk some trot at times. I am pretty certain for effect. If they hate the country so much perhaps they would bugger off.

9. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And at least I can spell AFRICAN

10. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm probably being thick here but not sure what you mean.

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Check the name of the thread! Am not responding to this thread anymore - seems like a slagging fest is about to erupt.

12. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes I have to admit the opening gambit could have been worded a bit more tactifully.

13. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    and......................

what was the point of this thread ?

14. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I'm not sure of the point, but I was quite enjoying it. :p

Where are you from Maruti?

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Poland slash Zambia

16. tullyite

tullyite Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I knows it's generalising, but the worst South Africans are the ex-pat whites who left at their country's greatest hour of need, following the collapse of Apartheid. You see a lot of them in Australia.

God knows there are enough social problems in SA, but these people just upped and left rather than helping in the regeneration of their country.

17. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I think what you are saying here, is true. I believe that often you will find a bitter or hurt person who left our country trying to convince the world how bad South Africa is....they have to prove how bad SA is or else why did they leave?

This is however a dangerous thing to generalise either way.....

But one thing i have noticed, is that the fans at the stadiums tend to be far less hostile than from what ive seen in other countries....Some fans like Bloem Celtic cheer their team all the way, even when they lose.....

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Guys, please report worthless trolling attempts like this so that the moderators can deal with it. We don't read every post on the board, and it would be preferable if threads like this didn't get to two pages.

Kudos to the South African posters who kept their heads and provided a very nice rebuttal to the first post's ignorance.

Closed.