What are our biggest weaknesses? (depth wise?)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by purojogo, Jun 28, 2005.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me:

CB, with a below 100% (and slow as a turtle) Agoos, and not all that steady Parke

And DM, because no one can replace Michael Bradley, in case of a bad string of games or injury

Thoughts, opinions?

2. MetroSexual

MetroSexual New Member

May 23, 2005
    PA
    Basically we only have one defender on this team who is worthy of playing at this level and that is Tim Ward. Chris Leitch is great at times but far too erratic to be considered an asset and if the right trade presented itself, I sure know I would get rid of every defender on this team and rebuild from scratch. Just my opinion.

3. kentuncel

kentuncel New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    u r absolutely right except that I think the whole defense needs to be replaced, maybe starting with acquiring Suarez who was just waived

4. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Suarez is another troublemaker like Mathis and no body want them, but one thing is sure, we need defenders

5. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Razov, you mean. Oh, wait, but we DO want Razov...

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    considering he is already hurt.... Well... we still prefer him to a few other options... but I don't pretend we should be jumping of joy, especially if he starts to get hurt all the time...

I feel we have a very competitive group as it is.... but what bothers me is that we don't have enough depth in some key postions... like DM, and CB.... I think our team is alright by MLS standards, but it could be bit better with a couple of player selections..at least to back up those positions where we are shaky....

7. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    we suck in the heart of the defense, center back and defensive midfield.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Depth wise? Metros have none up front.

If Galvan Rey would have gotten hurt against NE, none of the players the Metros had on the bench was a forward.

Just as alarming, there appears (since we never get to see the games) to be no forwards on the Reserve team either About 90% of the goals have come from Ibrahim or SGR.

9. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    We have Ante, who else do we need??

Cmon man.............

10. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    That's strange, I'm of the opposite opinion. I think he's never great but is pretty consistent in his defending, which is more than I can say of Agoos or Parke.

11. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    When Metros are completely healthy, forwards are Razov, Ibrahim, Youri, SGR, Magee (now playing out of position) and Bailey(?)

Considering roster sizes, that is not bad. Considering 2 were out plus Magee was out of position due to Gaven being tired, one forward was OK.

12. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this:

The depth of empty seats each home game. We can get 50,000 fans for a England/Columbia match, but struggle with 1/5 of that for a Metrostars match. You want to build the team? Generate the money.

If we could get 50,000 on average, we could attract the real talent over from Europe. Imagine us complaining about Beckham's lousy game as a Metrostar?

don't wake me, it's beautiful here...

13. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Isn't Agoss hurt? That is a good reason for him not to play. You don't have to be fast to play center back. Wing back your covering speed can't do that if your slow unless you give that attacker a ton of space so you can still be between him and goal.

On Bradley he is a very good passer when we have the ball. I am not sure what kind of 1 v 1 tackler he is when we don't have the ball.

You can always put a wing back as a DM and not attack him when we do have the ball.

14. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fullbacks:

Christ we have Leitch and Regan as our starting fullbacks...with only Ward in reserve.

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's Gaven's outside-mid position.

To me Gaven is the cutting edge on this team-more than Guevara, Youri, or Razov. Gaven not only gives the team this quality but width. There's no other player who changes the dynamic on the field to this degree and no player on the bench who comes even close to providing what Eddie provides. Magee, should be that other player, but...well I'm not going to pile on Magee, but you see where I'm going. They need another player other than Gaven who can stretch the field.