What age to start playing flat back 4?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by swheeler, Aug 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Greetings,

I've been coaching recreationally for a number of years (U8-U12) and have had great success training my back lines to defend Pressure-Cover-Balance with a slightly diagonal shape to provide 'insurance' for break-aways. I see many youth instructionals that advocate "never play flat", but as players get older and strikers learn to play deeper to take advantage of the last-man positionally, at what age do we transition to a proper 'flat' line versus a diagonal?

Thanks,
    Scott

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  2. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I can't answer cause I don't know. You might get ok responses here but the coaching forum would probably get more and better responses.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    I'd typically say right away when you move to 11v11. I normally find that a flat back 4 is easier to teach than the diagonal shape (e.g. sweeper / stopper). The key is having a center back that's talkative and can help the back line stay up together as a group.

swheeler repped this.
  4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Not an expert, but what it seems to me is that you don't choose between flat back and pressure/cover/balance. Rather, it depends on the situation. Your default is a flat back, but then let's say the opposing right winger has the ball around the midway line and is dribbling forward alone, there's no point in going for an offside trap in that situation, rather you're trying to stop them from dribbling through the line (ie breakaway risk)... so then you'd have your left back pressure, the CB cover, the RB balance. Ie, they would start in a flat line, but when that threat appears they go diagonal.
    But in a scenario where say a striker is waiting for a through ball, then you'd stay flat if you want to try for the off side trap.
    That an oversimplification of course, but that's the gist of it. Even in the pros this is the gist.
    If you're talking about tactics in a particular match, I would change my approach based on variables like the matchups and if the ref is accurate in calling off side. If they are not good at calling off side I would not play for the off side trap, you'll get burnt, esp if opponent has fast forwards.