What about a third kit?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJAnfield, Oct 20, 2004.

1. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    I think the Earthquakes should use thier red throwback jerseys as a third kit. Everyone likes the retros. Chicago uses the third kit, why not the Quakes! Any thoughts?

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I'm all for a third kit and I love the idea of bringing back the "Retro Reds." The only trouble I can foresee is that their would be precious few occasions when they could wear them.

Obviously, they couldn't wear them against the likes of Metro, Chicago or even F*C* Dallas next season. Also, rule out those vs. Chivas USA...maybe even GeT ReAL SL, depending upon the primary color of their kits. We'd only be able to wear them opposite the Galaxatives and/or Crew when they are in the banana skins, but if they are decked in yellow why not just wear our blue?!

I love the idea of a red alternate kit...just can't see it happening unless we specifically request it for some special occasion and that would likely have to be a home fixture.

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just split the Home games between the Red and Blue kits. Blue Vs West (more games) Red vs East

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we're blue. Wearing it for the Open Cup, occasional road games, and maybe one special home game each year would be OK, but it's tough to build an identity while changing colors every game.

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wear red once or twice a year, or as noted special games or the USOC, but that's it...

Designate at the most three league games where the red gets worn...

6. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the home team, don't we get to pick which colours to wear? The usual is that the away team wears white and the home gets the colored kit, in our case blue. Only in a select games do we see the road team wear red and the other wears a select colour--blue, green et al.

Thus, red would still be good against Metro, Chicago, or FC Dallas at home... cheers!

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me want Red Kit, no. 3. Quakes kick ass in red uni. It real good. Look nice too.
    Love,
    Sweetums
    ;)

8. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I didn't like the reds. Personally, i'd like to see the 'Quakes get a 3rd jersey, which is a reversal of the black and blue of our home jersey.

9. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    Why go to a red jersey?.....how bout All BLACK instead......there's too much red in MLS as it is we dont need anymore.Even if it is the "retro" jersey it just seems redundant to add another red jersey.

10. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black is a good colour, I'd go along with that.

However, to tie in the heritage of the original NASL team to the current MLS club, the red kit symbolizes and pays homage to the original team... since they were a hit with the fans when those kits were tried, it makes for a popular choice...

11. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the red was nice but not for a lot of games. I don't know about everyone else but I'm starting to get sick of the every away team in white.. it's getting a little old and boring.

12. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus it goes against the old American custom of "the good guy wears the white hat"

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Never think red, red is the color of evil. Think blue, blue is the color
    of good."
    - Dennis Wheatley

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a followup quote which reads:

"In these heady days, yellow with green sash is the color of evil. Blue, however, remains the color of good."
    - Goodsport

15. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know several chameleons who would disagree with you.

16. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are changing their name to Chameleons SC?

Seriously tho, there is enough red and black in the league, the Quakes have a unique shade of blue.

If there is going to be a third kit, it needs to stand out. Purple for instance. Personally, I'd like the home jerseys to go back to white sleeves.

Tony

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not full red, then cloudy jade (teal alternative) as a nod to the San Jose Clash days, with a trim of rojo to the NASL Quakes...

Black is seen too much in jerseys, as with red in any sport. No one would want to return to the losing days of the Clash, but as with the color, it keeps with the blue theme...

I'm keen on the red, but the cloudy jade would be just as good... still going to have the Quakes logo and lettering instead of the lobster...

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take the colors from the present logo (blue, black, white and silver) and make one of the minor colors dominant. That silver the Seattle Seahawks have is unique. Lots of combinations would work well. The red is a harking back to tradition, and the red that was used in the 30th anniversary unis is distinctly different than any of the other reds that are being used on the uniforms I know of.

19. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets go old school MLS... think rainbows! think they players would like that? :)

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Red is my personal favorite but, as uniform buyer for my AYSO region for the last four years, I have to note that the young players hate black. I don't order black jerseys any more because I got so many complaints about overheating.

Maybe that's just because we get the cheap unis, or maybe the professionals are so professional that they wouldn't care.

I like the blue, but it needs better accent colors. Like orange or red. Silver and black are too bland.

21. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I agree completely with Albany. A shiny-materialed silver alternate would look great and be completely unique. However, if you are really wanting to go "off the path," what about lime green or even lavender? Before you start cracking back with the "sissy color" remarks bear in mind that Juventus sported pink away jerseys.

Dare to be different! :D

23. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    we all know a$$less chaps...

how about ab-less shirts?

:D

24. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blue and silver one piece's designed like Camaroon's "edgy" uni's. Spartan would be packed like a ladies night at the Saddle Rack. :D