What a BORING stretch to be a US NAt fan..

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bostonsoccermdl, Sep 11, 2003.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    No friendlies, no senior tournaments, no more junior tournnaments, no nothing until the winter....

Not too many yanks active abroad either (unless you consider gossip active)

Besides arguing that McDonalds shouldnt get sued for its customers getting fat in the politcs forum, or discussing prostitution in the free-for-all forum,
    whats a fan to do?

discuss..

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to start a 'withdrawals' thread myself, but thankfully you beat me to it. What to do? Months and months of nada...horrendous. Well, I just plan on using this time to get to watch as much of the opposition as possible to better assess our matchups come WCQ's. But it is a very difficult and dark time to be a USMNT fanatic.

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I thought you were going to talk about the entire year. :)

Really a forgetable year, this being the most forgetable part of it.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, from late December 2003 through June 2006, it'll be pretty much non-stop.

So get away from the computer, go kick the ball around with a few friends, enjoy your MLS Shootout package (if you have one) and do your best to save up enough money so you'll be able to go to as many WCQs as you can next year and in 2005.

Peace.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    U-20 YWC is coming up soon, along with U-23 Olympic Qualifying.

6. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    do what I do- adopt Holland as your second team, and replace the boredom with depression.

7. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    How about the Olympic team roster speculation? That should be fun.

8. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey its my 50th post!!!!!!!!

I'll have to watch the Women World Cup with women running around with short shorts and taking off their shirts when they score(aaaarghhhhhh). I can't for the first shirt to come off! this September is going to go away real fast.

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depressed? They are still alive for euro 2004, and as long as they are their is still reason to hope. Not reason to be depressed yet.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if it goes to penalty kicks in the playoffs, prepare to be depressed. :)

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah its a pretty dead stretch right now for US soccer. MLS is kind of in late season doldrums, nothing really going on with USMNT, U-17 World championships are over. We do have a couple Yanks abroad playing but always hard to really trully follow them... this whole place (bigsoccer) has been pretty dead lately. Just not as much stuff going on.

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My cure is just obsessing overe club teams instead of the national team. That and doing school work.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    it also doesn't help that i could give a flying fck about the WWC, although given the articles today about SUM's relationship with it maybe I'll be more inclined to watch as a token of support.

14. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I do think that we have an advantage over any other sport though in that soccer is mostly an ongoing thing around America or the world all year round. When the MLS is done most of the time we have US National Team games to keep us happy, then there's also foreign leagues.
    It is kind of an horrible wait though at the moment.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, exactly what I do.:D

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I have a second team through heritage, Colombia.

Unfortunately, WCQ has started out like a "complete disaster" for them. Yes, it's ONLY 2 games (out of a marathon 18 games over 2 years), it's STILL WCQ!!

Makes me miss USMNT games (friendlies or otherwise) even more!!

CAN'T WAIT 'til December 5 (the WCQ draw) & early next year (January or February) for the start of WCQ!!!

Just curious.........what do you guys think about the marathon South American WCQ campaign???

I know 18 games over TWO years sounds crazy, but think about it!!

Wouldn't you rather play Mexico, CR, Honduras, Jamaica & Canada (among others) right away in ONE final round of qualifying, instead of having to play the likes of Grenada, St. Kitts & Nevis & Barbados???

I know I would!!! Just my $ 0.02

17. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    What a boring stretch? You're telling me! I don't have a club team since the closest MLS city is 5 hours away, and I'll probably never see a game in my life there.

Well, there's always rooting for Germany because of my heritage, but I never get to see the games since I don't have FSW anyways. Bleh.

18. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    Damn Ictar, never realized how rough you have it. So are you praying every night for that MLS expansion team or have you given up hope?

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an idea during this dull period...

Let's all wait until EA Sports' FIFA 2004 comes out, and then complain how all the USA/MLS players got shafted by the makers of the game because their player ratings for American soccer players tend to be unfairly lower than we know they should.

That will give us something to whine about :D

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't get too excited about the pre-Libertadores or Euro 2004 qualifiers. I like to see the unexpected qualifying failures in news reports, but not the matches. I am waiting for the tournaments proper. The Champions League will be on again soon, and there's Reyna at City.

21. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Well you know Man U gets plastered all over the TV, be it FSW or ESPN2 or whatever. So you get to see Tim Howard. Then there are the other Americans in the EPL.

And as has been mentioned before, there's the WWC and the Men's U20.

22. fluidsoccer

fluidsoccer New Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Chicago
    This is the first year ever, and I never thought it'd happen, but I got a little burned out with our Nats. Anyone else?

I'm glad we have a break. Now it's time to watch the good part of the MLS season, the business end of the deal if you will.

23. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    If they get a team in Norman I'll probably move there and take classes at OU. I already have a good friend in Norman and another who's moving to Edmond tomorrow. I'm sure I could find a place. =D

24. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Spending my time playing Winning Eleven 6, and trying to beat up other teams with the USMNT. That and getting the parts together for my own Mini-BAF (Big Ass Flag)

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yes. I long for the good old days of flame wars and reported posts, sock puppets and heated debates over the style of the newest jerseys. Why, we haven't had a reason to call for Bruce's resignation in two months. Life is very dull, indeed.