WFD Premium Announced

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by WoodyinCU, Nov 24, 2009.

1. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the WFD Crew:

2. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The signup link is up and rolling. All content continues free through this Thursday, Friday will be the first day there is both free and premium (i.e. subscribers only) content.

3. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Big fan of the the old show and love the new one too, but don't think I'll be signing up.

When they ran into the trouble with the Liverpool fans, they published all the personal details of those guys - name, social security numbers, addresses, work addresses and so on. I didn't like those guys either, but that was really not cool.

No way would I feel comfortable giving the WFD guys my credit card information.

Sorry, but as much as I like the show, I simply don't trust them not to fool around with my personal info, especially if I had to cancel for whatever reason.

4. Sounder_FC

Sounder_FC New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    that's why you join with friends, one card, one username, six users or more :D

5. yodaisgod

yodaisgod Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hope they don't track IP address :rolleyes:

6. Sounder_FC

Sounder_FC New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    yeah we thought about that and that's why God invented rapidshare and etc (pretty sure God did that :D)

7. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering why I got an email from Icons.com. Don't recall giving my info to that site. My only thought is that WFD did?

Anyway, WFD premium is for pay. The fact that they call it premium suggests there is another tier of membership, no?

8. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    That's the main reason I posted what I did above - a friend who's also a big fan had exactly the same thing happen. I'll admit that he's the type who loves a good conspiracy, but he did contact his credit card company.

It's a trust thing, and the WFD guys haven't shown that they are too good at handling other people's private information.

9. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WFD didn't, and the emails from the info list are expressly private. From an internal email with a staffer who was in touch with Icons:

Icons will, I'm sure, adjust their list to include only the known opt-ins as is appropriate. There will be a formal announcement in a few days.

BTW, WSD *never* published SSNs of members of the Boycott or people who attacked them, they only published the public information tied to those emails they received, just like the Boycott published public information about the lads. Neither side should have even done that, but since everyone has agreed to leave that in the past, we should too.

10. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    That's just not true.

I followed it at the time, not closely, I'll admit, and I despise those Liverpool guys, and I am or was a big WSD fans. But I know I saw full names and addresses, phone numbers, work addresses, email addresses AND the SSN of one of those guys (or was it a wife?) and car license plates.

Yes, it should be left in the past, but please don't tell me that I didn't see what I know I saw.

And that's why I won't be signing up - they don't respect private information and my credit info is too hard earned to be ruined. I saw what they did, I don't trust 'em, but that's just me. Others can make up their own minds.

11. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just mistaken, that's all. No SSNs were published by either side, ever.

12. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    What about work emails, car tags, phone numbers all that stuff? Why would anyone publish a car license plate??? And didn't one of those guys go to the FBI because his or his wife's SSN had been used? I know I saw that and I saw a screenshot of a posting somewhere with an SSN that was later removed. I KNOW I saw that. Don't tell me I didn't.

Look, you do a great job here letting us know what's going down in WFD world, but I know I saw lots of personal info about those guys published and that's the problem. No matter what the reason, the track record of WFD guys is that they publish personal info or use it for their own reasons and that's a risk I'm not willing to take.

As I have said, others can make up their own minds.

13. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Car tags were never published either, and Tony going to the FBI was because he felt threatened that Steven remembered his wife's birthday. At one point, some phone numbers were published then quickly removed as calmer heads prevailed, same happened at RAWK.

Both sides have buried the hatchet, but there are some people who are still sensitive on the subject, that's why I'm trying to be very clear on what was and wasn't done. If you aren't comfortable with it, I would not try to convince you otherwise, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to be mistakenly promoting false information. That's one of the things that lead to the whole bang up in the first place.

It's no worries, mate. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and welcome to Big Soccer!

14. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    This is getting tedious. You telling me what I didn't see, when I know what I saw. It was whichever one of those guys lived in Houston, it was a Texas car tag with some crap like 'Liverpool4eva' or 'LFCYWNA'. Sorry, I saw it published.
    I never heard the full story about this. What was Steven doing 'remembering' Tony's wife's birthday? That's exactly the crap I'm talking about. Using personal and private information. And it was her SSN I saw a screenshot of. Her name is Brittany or Breanna or Beverly or something like that.

You can tell me all you want that this stuff was not published. I know I didn't dream it and how or why would I remember it? It was published, if only for 5 minutes, then that's 6 minutes too long.

We're better than RAWK? Or RAWK is worse than us? But in the meantime give us your credit card number? Not exactly how you instill trust, is it?

Fair enough, and I really appreciate your work here because it's an easy way to keep clued in, but you are just wrong on what was published.
    I absolutely am not promoting any false information - I know what I saw and I know what I remember. And that's why I will not be giving my info, I just don't trust them anymore, as much as I do like the show.

But, you're right, time to move on.

Thanks for your work here, and whatever about WFD, I do look forward to your updates.

15. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Things were posted that shouldn't of then they removed them because they were posted by mistake. Okay you choose not to subscribe to premium because of this, that is your choice end of story no reason to dig up the past let it rest

16. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you insist those things were published, there's nothing I can do to convince you except to again say you're mistaken. A lot of rumors were leveled at WSD (and at the Boycott) that were untrue; all I can do is point out what's false. I'm not doing it to say you're wrong (there's nothing wrong with making a mistake, there was a lot of BS floating around back then), but because it IS false, and there are those out there who are continuing to purposely put out false info based on their own agenda. There were no SSNs published by either side. The only email addresses published were those that came with the emails themselves, same with the phone numbers. Once snail mail addresses were published, then taken down immediately, and they apologized publicly for doing that.

Were you aware that Tony and Steven were good friends for many years before this whole huballoo? Even when Tony was spearheading the Boycott the two exchanged emails and personal phone calls that were civil and friendly. Steven remembers Tony's wife's upcoming birthday and asked to pass on his well wishes and that was perceived as a threat. I have no idea why Tony saw it as that, since Steven had done the same in the previous years, but that's what happens when things get out of control. This is the kind of baloney that happens when egos dig in; it's never pretty.

I think we should drop this subject, it's completely off topic anyway. Again, welcome to Big Soccer.

17. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Let's agree to move on.

You have your understanding or belief about what happened and I know what I saw. You can call me mistaken, but I'm just not going to accept that I'm making up what I saw. I could go dig up a few of these things, but I don't think that'll serve anyone well.

FWIW, I did see a SSN, I did see a car tag, I did see personal snail mail addresses, phone numbers, work snail mail and personal email addresses. I do agree that they were all taken down after they were posted, but they were posted. And they shouldn't have been, not if you were later going to go into business where you were going to be handling people's personal info. It's a trust thing.

You might believe they weren't published, but I know for a fact what I saw and I know I didn't dream what I saw.

Let's agree to differ on this one as we are essentially on the same side. I'm just not comfortable handing over my personal info in this day and age of ID theft to someone whose track record with other people's personal info is not great. That's all.

As djpower says, let's let it rest and move on. No point in doing a he said/she said thing now, 4 months after the event, right?

Thanks for the welcome - looking forward to my time here. Cheers! Have a virtual beer on me! :)

18. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify, I said it wasn't published by WSD.

It's not what I believe, it's what I know, I have the documents. I'm the guy who pulled those addresses off the site (well, technically CK the web god did it while I was on the line with him), and we still have archives of them. There were no SSNs, no work phone numbers, no car tags, no spouses info, just the email, phone and snail, which should never have been done either. After the purge it was just the names and email addresses of the Mel, Tony and Connor, public information they themselves had put out there for communication and conversation on the subject. It was inappropriate to put their snail addresses there. The archives (a dated SS as well as the code) were kept in case of future litigation, but both sides realized how stupid and petty they were being and they walked away from that kind of BS. Then came the dénouement and WSD closed it's doors.

I have little doubt you saw some of that, but it wasn't published by WSD. There were zealots on both sides who did things on their own that they never should have (listeners may recall that one caller who had tracked down Tony's address via public records and tried to say it on air when the lads jacked him before he could complete it and told him outright it was over the line). That's one of the saddest outcomes of the whole thing; people trying to be helpful but not doing it ethically. People said and posting things about the Boycott that weren't true or should have been out of bounds, and the same happened to everyone connected with WSD. The ends never justify the means, and those days were a vibrant example of it.

Thankfully, we've all moved on, hopefully a bit wiser and more sensitive to other peoples' points of view. Personally I've never cared about football tribalism anyway (as long time readers know), either institutional or personal, and I won't partake in it except in light jest. Heck, I've been an Arsenal fan since 1978 and I don't hate Spurs (how wrong is that?!?) :D

Hey, instead of that virtual beer, can I get a virtual scotch instead, Hutman? I'm still reeling from that Chelsea game last weekend, and with a trip to Anfield coming up (after a midweek trip to Greece), I might be needing something stronger to kill the pain! ;)

If I survive next Sunday, I'll buy a round for everyone!

19. GregX

GregX New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the other tier right now is the free option that gets you the first 20 minutes of the show (Woody correct me if I'm wrong).

I could see them adding other tiers as they add shows and depending on how membership goes. Having sat in on my first Ustream last week I suggested to them if they charged the Ustreamers $0.01 per line, they wouldn't even have to do a show and they'd clean up. :D

20. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only suggestion I had was to use paypal for annual subs where re-curring charges are not needed. Steve explained not possible at this time. I will have to find a low balance credit card to use.

21. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Do they plan on giving refunds every time there's no show/only one host on a minor holiday or because they're hungover or have the sniffles? Because I seem to recall those things happening quite often over the years.

22. yodaisgod

yodaisgod Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oooo...nice work

23. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    My thoughts exactly. I guess the lower tier would be the free podcast that is about 20minutes of the show. Oooooooooh. What a tease. :D

......Or pre-paid one. Comes in handy. Just top it up like a debit card and off you go. No security available to be breached.

EDIT: I was just about to sign up for the one month subscription just to tie me over until Christmas is all said and done with. However, the monthly subscription is set up on a re-occuring automatic withdrawl.

Is there a way to switch once your first month is up?
    I did e-mail them but I thought i'd ask here as well.

24. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $40 for a year's worth of daily podcasts is not bad at this levelof quality. As podcasts, you can ear them at your leisure.

Good call on the pre-paid card.

25. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    They actually posted someone's SSN? I'm kind of regretting subscribing now, at least I only got it for the month.