Wfan Sports staton

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2003.

1. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Looks like this one might go to penalties.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I got a lot respect for any Soccer fan, no I don't go this far, and you getting away from the subject, we are not here to fight against each other but together we can fight some of this radio stations.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I just got this e mail at Bigsoccer, and this is what gives me the strenght to keep going on

The media must be challenged
    Dear Frank - Thank you very much for starting the WFAN post.
    I've started a lot of threads when various media have made fun of soccer. Some of the replies are to the effect of- well what do you expect of X media outlet, just ignore them.
    Problem is a lot of people don't ignore them. In fact a lot of people pay no attention to soccer because elements of the media are always saying its a boring sport.
    I remember the day I became a soccer fan. It was 1966 I was ten years old and the world cup final was on (W.Germany V. England- Jim Simpson Danny Blanchflower commentary). My father who was an immigrant said watch this game, I didn't want to watch it because I had been told by the media that soccer was a "boring -foreign sport". My father didn't care what the media thought and insisted that I watch the game. I did- suffice it to say it was one of the greatest games in any sport I have ever seen.
    Keep up the good work.

Perry Stein

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I also watch that game, believe was first game televised by ABC, I was a little older I was 16.

but I did something about it, I played the game in the top leagues in Minnesota, when I was in the military, I starter the first you Soccer in Duluth Minnesota in 1972, I also starter the Ironbound Boys & Girls Club Soccer teams and League.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    also watch that game, believe was first game televised by ABC, I was a little older I was 16.

but I did something about it, I played the game in the top leagues in Minnesota, when I was in the military, I starter the first youth Soccer League in Duluth Minnesota in 1972, I also starter the Ironbound Boys & Girls Club Soccer teams and League in 1983.

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent my polite comment/suggestion/complaint 8 fold. As they say in Chicago, vote early, vote often, and put cork in your bats.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I will answer by saying this Red Card, thanks, I still got my Metrostars Mastercard.

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    just got this e mail at Bigsoccer, and this is what gives me the strenght to keep going on

The media must be challenged
    Dear Frank - Thank you very much for starting the WFAN post.
    I've started a lot of threads when various media have made fun of soccer. Some of the replies are to the effect of- well what do you expect of X media outlet, just ignore them.
    Problem is a lot of people don't ignore them. In fact a lot of people pay no attention to soccer because elements of the media are always saying its a boring sport.
    I remember the day I became a soccer fan. It was 1966 I was ten years old and the world cup final was on (W.Germany V. England- Jim Simpson Danny Blanchflower commentary). My father who was an immigrant said watch this game, I didn't want to watch it because I had been told by the media that soccer was a "boring -foreign sport". My father didn't care what the media thought and insisted that I watch the game. I did- suffice it to say it was one of the greatest games in any sport I have ever seen.
    Keep up the good work.

Perry Stein

just beautiful, once again thanks

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    got repeat it

also watch that game, believe was first game televised by ABC, I was a little older I was 16.

but I did something about it, I played the game in the top leagues in Minnesota, when I was in the military, I starter the first youth Soccer League in Duluth Minnesota in 1972, I also starter the Ironbound Boys & Girls Club Soccer teams and League in 1983.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    let's not get off the topic
    Wfan Sports staton
    send a email, and ask for coverage of the MLS playoffs

http://wfan.com/feedback/

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I just got this from WFAN

RE: Comment about WFAN
    Date: 10/28/2003 10:57:12 AM Eastern Standard Time
    To: cun245@aol.com
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Your e-mail reached the promotion department, but a huge football (soccer) fan as well. Your best bet is to call or write to our Program Director Mark Chernoff, 34-12 36th Street, Astoria, New York 11106, 718-706-7690.

Good luck.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    it sucks to find out the Sports Director at WFAN his a Soccer fan,

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's part of an article written by ESPN's John Buccigross during the 2003 NHL Playoffs. Just substitute the word hockey with soccer.
    "2. Do not let the mainstream American media's lack of hockey passion affect you in any way.

This is also very important. A couple of times, while driving in the car this spring, I have come across two very popular radio call-in sports shows that will comment on a couple of callers and/or e-mails from hockey fans complaining about a lack of hockey discussion. Two things come to mind here: 1) This is counterproductive because it just causes the radio host (or hosts) to rattle off all the reasons why they don't talk about hockey. I won't bore you with the usual drivel here and now. It's always negative. 2) It encourages them to speak on a subject that they have no passion, feel or knowledge on. Especially passion. Knowledge and feel can be acquired by watching the games. But there is nothing worse than dispassionate hockey talk among broadcasters.

Yes, it would be nice to hear informed, passionate hockey debate while driving in the car. Talk radio is basically a pep rally for the day's games. But you know and I know we are a long way off from that in the United States. On an organized, youth level, the game is very young. Hockey doesn't have mass appeal because not enough people in the United States have either played the game or had a family member play the game and breathed in the hockey culture. Will we ever reach the point where enough people have that experience to bring hockey to the forefront? Probably not. But you never know, and to tell you the truth, I don't care. There are enough places to find passionate hockey discussion or written words. Hockey has always been like punk rock in its pre-every-mall-rat-in-suburbia-Abercrombie-wearing-teenage-screamer-sanitized-sound-a-like-Blink stage. Not for everyone, and not for the casual. Either you are in or you're not.

I liken it to Ben Folds and Justin Timberlake. More people know Justin Timberlake right now than will ever know Ben Folds. Ben Folds has more talent in his receding hairline than Justin Timberlake has in his entire molecular structure. Yet, Justin has at least $30 million in the bank, while Ben might have a million. And while that might tick off Ben sometimes, I don't care. I don't feel the need to defend Ben or lead his cause, or remind the world that a song like "Mess" will be sung for another 100 years by at least one person, while Justin's fans will continue licking his pop candy until all that's left is wet white paper stuck on their tongues. Then they'll spit it out and look for another musical candy sucker to lick. This is not to say I won't recommend a Ben Folds CD, play a song for someone in my car, or make a Ben Folds mix, but I won't foist it upon someone to validate my own beliefs. Especially, a radio talk show.

Just let it go. Love hockey and what it does to you. How alive the playoffs make you feel. How you keep looking at the clock at school or work, impatiently anticipating the opening faceoff. How you wait in anticipation to see just how the Ducks-Red Wings series will turn out. Will your Flyers finally do it again? Can your Avs be the benefactor of possible major upsets in the West and have Patrick retire on top? No one is talking about your Capitals, but you believe that they can come out of the East. If the radio yackers don't get it, who cares? It's your world. Your punk rock. Don't let the posers get you down. Yes, it would be nice to share your passion on a call-in show and hear similar passionate voices.......

Enjoy the silence. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm. Words are meaningless and forgettable. Another reason to listen to "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, one of the best songs ever made even if "Bye, Bye, Bye" sold 15 million more copies.

The best time of the sports year is here and you are among friends. Which is how it should be -- me, you, the game, and a cold one.

And the rest of the world can just shut up."

link:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2003/story?id=1538933

14. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation: Send a hard copy via snail mail. Don't forget to put a 37 cent stamp on it.

Here is the body of my letter to Chernoff:

Dear Mr. Chernoff:

I think it is time for your sports group to challenge themselves by seriously talking about the World's most popular sport, which of course is soccer. Avoiding it is like a doctor avoiding the heart. Don't be cowards. I realize that your sports guys know nil about soccer, but give it a shot anyway. I'm talking particularly about Major League Soccer (MLS) playoffs that start this weekend. Our Metrostars are in it. Don't be chicken to recognize the sport that in the United States has overwhelming participation and a growing spectator base.

Please give the soccer fans of the NY a fair shake and seriously discuss the upcoming MLS playoffs. Thank you for your consideration.

Yours in World Sport,

15. Kevin

Kevin New Member

In my opinion, you guys are barking upthe wrong tree.

WFAN is huge within the men 18-54 demographic and they own NYC sports talk in terms of ratings. Besides the fact that they have and extremely arrogant and nasty on-air tone (particulalry those numb nuts on the afternoon), they have a vested interest in Giants football, Mets baseball and Knicks basketball. Good luck getting them to change their minds about the absence of soccer coverage. They will tell you that their current formula is working and that their large audience does not give a rat's ass about soccer.

I suggest that you shift your campaign to 1050AM, the relatively new ESPN radio affiliate. That station is engaged in a David v. Goliath battle with WFAN and they keep making modest advances in the ratings. They seem to be the folks who would be interested in covering soccer, if listeners really wanted to talk about it. They already give Metro scores and promote Metro matches on the day of the games. The payoff, however, is that people really have to listen and they have to see that talking soccer has a benefit to them as a station. Otherwise, they will look at folks like Frank as crackpots and file your letters in the same bin as those from the lacrosse guy and the rugby nut.

It's a tough chore, in any event. The stranglehold on the NYC radio stations by just a handful of large corporations means that the name of the game is to seek large ratings by addressing the lowest common denominator.

Unfortunately, that leaves us on the outside looking in. How bad is it? Ask the hockey nuts. While we think of hockey as one of the four big US sports, the other three don't. Hockey barely gets its share of the talk time and it looks like things will get worse on TV and radio for hockey before they get better.

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought it was vote early and often, even if you're dead.

17. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    i e-mailed them. they are generally boring to listen as they drone on about sports.

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    thanks, we got nothing to lose, at least they know we around.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'm glad Red Car got a response from WFAN, cause I didn;t yet......

hey Frank, wanna join me in a 1 am WFAN blitz on Wednesday? just for sh!ts and giggles :)

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    let me know the time,

21. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    I emailed them. & all you cynical bastards out there, just cuz youre too dumb & lazy to do something to support the metros doesnt mean you have to argue w/ Frank whose trying to do a good public service for the oppressed soccer community

22. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

I would like to nominate Frank Cunha's son's post as Post of the Year.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    tis a nice post :)

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Thanks
    I got some people to do some emails to Wfan this afternoon

by the way just got back from the hospital, the Metrostars got a new fan, a 9lbs a 7 ounces baby,
    Frank Cunha IV

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Hey congrats mate!!