WEURO 2022 - Final England vs Germany

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lohmann, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

3. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know either, but I thought it was cool that he took the time to say a few words to the players. In particular, he seemed to have spent some extra seconds to console Popp, which was a nice gesture.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Luck was definitely there. Wubben-Moy and Hampton were out with COVID; name another team in the tournament that had two players out with COVID who were never going to play anyways. For example, the Dutch had Groenen and Miedema out, the Germans had Schueller and Buehl out, Sweden had Glas and Andersson out, and I think Austria had at least one starter out with COVID. Wiegman was out with COVID during the one match that didn't matter for England.

Spain were without Putellas and Hermoso, Germany missed Popp and Buehl in the final, the Netherlands had a fit, healthy Miedema for just the opening match and lost Martens for the QF, and France lost Katoto in the group stages. England and Sweden were the only top teams that didn't have their front line/attackers impacted, and when they saw each other in the semifinal, Earps was much better than Lindahl was.

JanBalk, blissett and Orange14 repped this.
  5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    This Euros had a VAR team that drew the offside line in relation to a defender instead of in relation to the ball (Sweden vs Switzerland), so no, I don't put 100% stock in the VAR team not sending the ref to the monitor as an indication of the play not being a PK.

L'orange repped this.
  6. neverendingstory

Mar 19, 2007
    The difference from the men's final with a load of drunken drugged up louts compared to the women's final full of families, happiness and joy...more of the latter please.

Dyvel, kolabear, McSkillz and 4 others repped this.
  7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hundreds of pounds for a seat :)

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Overall Germany has better pass/moving and pressing, England got some really good players but their overall movement organization still need improvement.

9. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I don`t believe in treating women like delicate flowers on the football field and throughout football history they never have been. Every team and football culture must find it`s best way to be successfull and that`s what it really is about. Nadeshiko have shown that you can beat physical uberteams like Usa and Germany. Or look at Spain ... it`s only a matter of time until they will win cups. But physical play belongs to women`s football and that`s ok. Your argument reminds me of the Serena Williams haters,..." because she is so muscular."

10. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Absolutely no way they could beat ENG or GER right now. Our team is NOWHERE as complete a unit and haven’t got the squad in a cohesive and definable situation that picks the players automatically like the 2 €uro finalists.

I’d say right now that England could be the ‘23WWC favorite

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

The U.S. has a lot of dynamic talent/prospects up front--Smith, Rodman, Sanchez, others, to name three, and should be fine in midfield as well. The back four looks more questionable right now as there are some older players mixed with young defenders who don't have a lot of experience. It would be naive to think that the U.S. won't be formidable. I think England could be one of the favorites--but they were outplayed by Spain and I think Germany were a bit better in run of play as well.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are multiple contenders for the 2023 World Cup championship. I think labeling any one team as the favorite right now is awfully speculative. A little later, our Siberian friend can tell us what the statistical probabilities are -- for every team, if I recall correctly. Anything beyond that will be fun, but that is about it. Personally, I prefer not to say so-and-so is the favorite, as I prefer to wait and see what happens. Of course, I prefer to avoid being wrong and value that more than making a lucky guess and being right. I do not play the lottery either.:)

Klingo3034, Ethan Frank and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math. You are smart to not play.
    Personally I do not mind being wrong but I do wonder when people will finally become aware that I am always right. ;)

Also statistics are nearly meaningless because most people do not understand them and badly misuse and misinterpret them.
    "Most people use statistics the way a drunkard uses a lamp post, more for support than illumination." - Mark Twain

BTW: Three out of four people make up 75% of the population. How's that for a useful statistic?

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think the back would also be fine as well since they have Girma, Cook, Fox, and Huerta while having Becky and Kelley to help guide the backline.

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I would say that the USWNT has around 60 to 70% chance of beating England like right now.

16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yup. Throw in Macario (hopefully), Pugh, and Hatch (if you consider her young enough) as well. Of course, there will also be the veteran threat of Morgan and Press (hopefully). Agreed that the backline is the biggest question mark right now. I'm excited to see Girma take up a big role at CB.

Spain definitely outplayed England and didn't have Hermoso or Putellas, who don't fully solve the finishing struggles but would have no doubt been a big help vs England.

Germany were a bit better, and that was without their two big name attackers who contributed a goal or assist on all the goals in the big group stage match vs Spain, the QF, and the SF.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a present for you from one old man to another. You can copy it and use it now and then:

[​IMG]

PS - Show it to your granddaughters. (Mine tells her friends not to laugh at my jokes because it just encourages me.)

blissett, Klingo3034 and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was pretty funny and reminded me of the old joke that I first heard back about 1963 or '64 so it pretty much predates computers and the internet and my first introduction to soccer: (That last happened when I was first in Germany back in 1969 or 1970)
    "Don't vote. It only encourages them."​

That phrase in various forms pops up in Movies, TV Shows (as diverse as NCIS and One Day at a Time) and even TV commercials a few times a year.

19. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Yeah, all quite true but I don’t see us winning against them. But.. we will see Oct 7th
    And I’ll be there so .. Johnny on the spot for ya.
    [​IMG]

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Perhaps a little disingenuous there, in the two weeks before the competition England beat Belgium 3-0, the Netherlands 5-1 & Switzerland 4-0, then to win the competition they had to beat Norway, Spain, Sweden & Germany (among others) and in doing so they scored 22 goals and only let in 2!

M repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://inews.co.uk/news/girls-youn...ester-city-womens-academy-1774536?ITO=newsnow

Girls as young as nine sent £300 bill to play for Leicester City Women’s Academy where boys train for free

A father has told how he was left feeling “deflated” after his daughter was sent a £300 bill to play for Leicester City FC’s Academy where boys train free.

England’s victory in the Euros has sparked a huge increase in interest in women’s football with many grassroots clubs throughout the country now looking set up new girls teams.

There are also growing calls for girls to have equal access to football in PE classes after i revealed that the Department for Education was refusing to ensure they could play at school.

Bonnie Lass and M repped this.
  22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Sold out within 24 hrs according to the FA.
    gonna have to search wider.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hospitality seats are still available.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Those like luxury seats?

25. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    WOW the English (well some of them) might actually be starting to take womens football more seriously, the girls deserve it, there has only been pro womens football here for three years! I reckon future English teams will remain among the very best, its what the womens game here is going to need to compete with the men. The real 'test' will be when the Premier League kicks off this weekend.

FanOfFutbol, Slowpokeking and Klingo3034 repped this.