Western Conference clinch watch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dred, Oct 4, 2003.

1. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    The clinch watch [R]

3-2 KC over Colorado in the 85 minute. 5 more minutes until we clinch the west...

2. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    4-2KC

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

-Richard

3. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    San Jose Earthquakes 2003 MLS Western Conference Champions!!!

Go Quakes!!!

-Richard

4. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    And there's the whistle! Congratulations to the 2003 Western Conference Champion San Jose Earthquakes!

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp While there's still work for the Earthquakes to do in the weeks ahead, tonight it's all about [​IMG]* !

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

* Okay, perhaps tomorrow night... they can't afford to play tomorrow afternoon with hangovers, after all.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is everyone singing, "We are the Champions?":)

7. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    No, because we got bigger and better prizes to fight for.....

Chicago won today, but I was actually cheering for them to murder the scum. Magic number's still at 8.

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking. Little bit of a premature celebration for me. I said a quick woo-hoo and left it at that. I'll sing and otherwise go crazy when we have the shield and again when we have the cup. We may have won this battle but the war ain't over!

However, though there's still some work left in front of them, the Quakes still need to be congratulated for this accomplishment! So congrats to my Quakies! :D

9. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    still, before tonight, in the past 7 years, only the galaxitives or wizards have ever won the west...so the significance is two-fold. but still...bigger and better fish to fry tomorrow.

go quakes!

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Somewhere, a seamster or seamstress is readying to make another championship banner for Spartan. The only question is the wording on it...and where it will hang?

If the Cup returns to SJ, I propose a big banner with the Quakes' logo and TWO big stars over it. I know, I know...that "bigger fish to fry" thing y'all have been mentioning. More work to be done.

11. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    MEMO: Promotional giveaway to 2004 Season Ticket buyers...

...a highlight DVD of the Quakes' 2003 season, entitled "How the West Was Won."

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you guys are never going to get litotes. :)

13. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    admittedly, i'd be pretty excited if we won our conference but it's true about not getting complacent with the playoffs looming, there's still a big job ahead...curious how you guys feel about the new 2 leg playoff system, there's no real home field advantage, but the higher ranked team at least gets the home game first so it puts pressure on the worse team to have to go back home in the hole (assuming the first game didnt see an upset)...also, at least you would play the 4th seed, although somehow i think the 4th seed might be better than the ranking in both divisions...thoughts?

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conference Champs!! Congratulations, Quakes!! You've done us proud. Now, on to bigger and better things! :D

15. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    A) There is home field advantage. The Conference Championship Game will be held in San Jose if we get there, which is a huge advantage. There's home field advantage in the Conference Semifinals because the higher seed gets the overtime played at their place, which is a bigger deal than most people think.

B) The higher seeded team gets the second game of the Semifinals.

C) Playing the fourth seed is a huge advantage, more so if it turns out to be that miserable side from LA.

16. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    I thought Frankie's take on things was pretty interesting in yesterday's Merc. Paraphrasing him, he said words to the effect of "Given that the playoffs can turn so quickly on things over which you have no control (like maybe....St. Silva???) or injuries, anything can happen in the playoffs. The real accomplishment is how finish in a 30 game season."

That being said, I hope they get it in gear and avoid laying an egg like yesterday.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC beat LA tonight in OT at Arrowhead, clinching 4th place for the galactoscum. It's official, 4 straight games, and the Quakes have made their last trip out of state. First playoff game at the Toolbox is likely to be on Nov. 1.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched parts of that game and the Dallas-Muttrostars game and have this thought: The Galacterrhoids are going to be in high dudgeon, they finished that game feeling victimized by the refs (and I think they have a case) for the call on the offside Golden Goal. Next week they must be given no quarter.

19. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fooch yeah !! Pitch invasion !!

20. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice to see the shoe on the other foot. I am so sad for them!!! About time!!!

-Richard

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, as you can imagine, Sigi and his boys were whining their asses off.

22. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    The goal was legit 'cause both players were onside when the shot was taken, which was the only time in the sequence when the ball was played forward.

Anyway, I think we should play a lot of subs next week. It's really hard to outplay the same team four straight games, so I'd just kick back and play for a draw in LA. If they are pissed off from the KC game, let them beat up on Ian Russell. Then play hard in front of a big Spartan crowd in two weeks.

I hate playing 4 straight LA games, but at least we'll be very familiar with the HDC for the final.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the league doesn't feel a need to "make it up" to LA next week and assure them of a victory.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was thinking. Are we paranoid or just looking at it straight on?
    I also understood what happened a bit better after the boys gave the league's explanation on MLS Wrap. I'm sure that will not stop the Scummers from feeling victimized.