Westerhoff Will Become Coach of Chivas USA :: Grahame Jones, LA Times

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, May 31, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Vergara is a genius. Westerhoff was hired as technical director of Chivas, then Vergara asked him to rescue Chivas as they were strugging in the Mexican league (took the team in midseason). By the next season he implemented an attacking soccer system and took Chivas to the Mexican final. His assistant at the time (Galindo, former Chivas legend in the 90's) now is coach and kept his system and attacking soccer playing style and he has the team in the Copa Libertadores quarterfinals and the team is playing well.

Can Westerhoff now rescue Chiva's little brother? With him coaching Chivas USA the goats will probably dominate MLS in the coming seasons, and all the Vergara haters will have to bow down and eat their words!

MLS fans better be afraid, their worst nightmare of Chivas USA taking over MLS will come true!

3. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's pretty much what they should have done in the first place. Rongen will work to help Westerhoff work within the league's structure.

They still need more talented players, but CD Chivas will win more games very soon. May also help with bringing fans in.

4. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The problem is that Rongen wasn't the main problem. In coming seasons, you may be right, but right now, its hard to say they have the horses.

5. Sounds like this was maybe always the plan. Kick Rongen upstairs as the quid pro quo for being the fall guy for an expansion team's poor first season with the Chivas legend from Mexico then stepping in once the initial unrealistic expectations had been readjusted downwards a bit. Always found it odd that the coach would be someone with no Guadalajara connection.

6. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL... this sounds like something out of a Cheech & Chong movie.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The Westerhoff name now attached to CDUSA will only serve to increase the already absurd level of expectations for a group of players that, with two or three exceptions, are simply not playing at an MLS level.

Real change won't come until Palencia, Bofo, etc. come in mid-August, and by then it may be too late.

What I'm most curious about is if Westerhoff's involvement will get Chivabutts back in seats (?)

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we hear this three months ago?

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should I be afraid of Dutch football? I've always been an admirer of Dutch football and its total football approach. If a Dutch coached team can raise the competitive bar in the MLS, more power to them, since all win.

Maybe Chivas should be renamed The Flying Dutchmen...

Or, even better, Geiten USA (or Geits USA...I don't know the proper plural form of 'geit').

You've got to love the irony of all of this.

Well, maybe not...but I sure do :D

Cheers

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Great.. now Chivas can choke in Cup finals. :D

Sachin

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't going to change everything if they're still attacking with Martins and Taylor up front, at all.

Ramon Ramirez so far for the most part has been a complete bust.

Ezra Hendrickson really is the only strong link in that back line.

Zuniga is god awful, lol.

They're gonna need a lot of work. Coaching alone aint gonna help.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An LA tradition.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    BBtB,

I don't think this could quite have been the plan, in the sense that they'd have liked Chivas to play at least well enough for Rongen to finish out the season. I think in the beginning they wanted someone with enough knowledge of the American scene to put together a competent draft. I'll leave it for the rest of you to judge whether he did that, based upon the team's self-enforced roster rules.

15. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Chivas USA: Taking over MLS from the bottom up.

And man oh man, have they put a stranglehold on the basement.

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    4 points behind the Crapids. Not necessarily a stranglehold.

Oh, they're gripping tightly and will prolly take the title of league's worst. But it ain't over yet.

Check out MLSnet.com right now: they're reporting the Westerhoff LA Times story.

One thing that Westerhoff brings is that he's a well-known entity to the Papa Chivas players and hence would facilitate players coming over who up until now might have been hesitant. I'm not saying they'll sign Bofo or somebody truly big, just that the likelihood is greater.

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does this mean the players will now have to learn Dutch?

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    We have a winner.

Would Palencia have gone to LA if Westerhoff had been there? Maybe, but it's a lot more likely now that players will be willing to play for this guy, instead of someone else.

Now comes the bigger question:

Will Westerhoff be another in the long line of top international coaches to completely fail in MLS?

19. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a good move all round.

Scapegoat - check.
    Recognisable name replacement - check.
    CHivas Legend - check.

The name should help btoh with getting fans back, and getting better players (particularly from within the Chivas system, like Palencia who turned his back on the original move)...which will in turn get more fans to come out.

Assuming he can stem the tide...and, as said by many, by August it may be too late.

I foresee some trades before then, they simply cannot wait that long....and MLS trades are the only option available to them right now.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, if the team suddenly plays good looking futbol after August, there'll be interest for the following year, I think.

But Chivas is going to have to lower ticket prices at some point, no matter what else they do.