West Asian Discontent on Australian AFC membership

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1 Pelefan, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Asian Cup hosts Australia shocked by move to oust it from AFC

Australia’s football body reeled from shock revelations about a movement to oust it from the Asian confederation on Friday as the Socceroos prepared to play the Asian Cup final.

The head of Australian football said he was “extremely surprised” after Asia’s soccer chief said some countries want Australia out and advised them to raise the issue formally.

Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), told the Arabic-language Al Ittihad newspaper there was discontent about Australia in the Gulf region and more widely.

“Yes, it is true there are indications that there is a desire among West Asian federations to kick Australia out,” the Bahraini royal was quoted as saying.

“But I also know that the Arabs are not the only ones who are not convinced of the usefulness of the continuation of Australia in Asia.”

Shaikh Salman also referred to Australia’s presence as an “experiment”. An AFC spokesman declined to comment on the report, which comes as the Socceroos prepare to play Saturday’s Asian Cup final against South Korea in Sydney.

Australia joined the AFC in 2006 and its teams have enjoyed success, qualifying for two straight World Cups and two Asian Cup finals, and winning the Champions League club showpiece last year.

Australia also won the Women’s Asian Cup in 2010. Victory on Saturday would make Australia the first country to hold both the Asian Cup and the Champions League titles.

But their presence also appears to have caused disquiet with other nations missing out on a World Cup spot and other honors.

As examples, Western Sydney Wanderers beat Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal in the Champions League final, and the Socceroos ousted UAE in the Asian Cup semi-finals.

‘Experiment’

The issue could come to a head at the AFC Congress expected in Kuala Lumpur in May, when Shaikh Salman will seek re-election. He was first elected in 2013 by a landslide.

“This decision (Australia joining the AFC) was made years ago, before my arrival to the presidency of the AFC,” Shaikh Salman was quoted as saying.

“At that time there were no conditions talking about the AFC Congress’s assessment of the experiment to see whether Australia will stay in Asia or not.”

He added: “There are other Asian associations in different regions of the continent that see the need of disengagement between us and Australia.

“Therefore we can’t just monitor the feedbacks or statements, but the movement and the decision should be from within the AFC Congress, because it’s the authority that can make the decision of reconsidering Australia joining Asia or any other decision.”

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop expressed surprise over the comments, which come at the end of an Asian Cup described within the AFC as the best yet.

“We were extremely surprised to hear of these press reports from west Asia,” Gallop told Fairfax newspapers.

“We are newcomers to AFC but our commitment to participate in competitions, membership of important AFC committees and general sharing of ideas and programs increases every year.

“We celebrate the diversity of the Asian region and this tournament has shown our contribution can go beyond football to create and foster social and political bridges between key trading partners in the region.”

Star forward Tim Cahill also defended Australia’s contribution, with the Asian Cup’s total attendance set to touch 650,000 over 32 games in five cities.

“Politically for us I think we’ve brought a lot (to Asia),” Cahill told reporters. “If you look at all the nations that’s come to Australia and every stadium that we’ve filled together.

“The multi-culturalism that we have in this country and the way we’ve embraced football I feel is very important for the growth of the game.

“But I feel that being Australian and being who we are will always help to grow the game any country we play regardless of AFC or Europe or wherever it may be.”

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/asian-cup-hosts-australia-shocked-by-move-to-oust-it-from-afc
    (story originally came from Agence France-Presse)

I don't really know why other feds would want the Aussies out, just because they are winning championships. I think it would help the AFC get stronger as the Aussies bring a different style to the table which in the long run would prepare member nations for the World Cup. The AFC didn't do well in the last World Cup as it is, so they shouldn't be weakening their competitions any further by kicking out one of the sides that made it to that competition.

2. blueball

blueball Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Only Arabs hate them. Since Australia joined AFC in 2007, Arabs have failed to qualify for the WC finals.

3. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The AFC president has come out to refute the apparent quotes from him. It's not really any surprise that there are people unhappy but there is a very big range in cultures and backgrounds in the region even without Australia.

4. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    It is called sour grapes. There is no rational reason to kick us out apart from Australia being successful on the pitch. I see it here with some of the posters who just complain about their countries not getting results for a long time, etc. They try to blame this and that. The problem is in their youth development. A lot of Asian countries need to invest more into their youth programs - this is not necessarily about money but about getting the appropriate people in to create proper youth development programs.

Australia spend the last decade getting people from Holland to restructure our youth development pathways and most importantly improve our coach education programs which were terribly outdated. Was it always smooth or perfect? No but there has been massive improves and hopefully we will keep on looking to improve. We are doing well in Asia without seeing the fruits of these new youth development programs - I think we will only really START to see it in 10-15 years when Australia is producing more technically gifted players.

It is time for Asian countries to stop playing the blame game for their failures.

5. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You can't paint all of the Asian countries with a broad brush.

6. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I was talking about the countries who are complaining.

7. kurutoga2k7

kurutoga2k7 Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    I wish they kick out China immediately. So she can join South America Confederation (and import more Brazilian players into CSL). The competition level in AFC is too low.

8. Liquid Sword

Liquid Sword Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What makes you think CONMEBOL would accept China? But I agree that the competition level in AFC sucks.

9. kurutoga2k7

kurutoga2k7 Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    They always want to invite East Asian countries. For example, China was invited to 2015 Copa America. (but has a conflict after AFC changed WCQ dates). Besides, CSL gradually became a landing spot for many Brazilian players and coaches.

10. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The only reason would be for monetary reasons. China is a huge market, I am sure the big teams in CONEMBOL would generate a lot of money from TV audiences in China (however, probably only really start seeing the fruit of their labours if China were competitive).

China is more likely to qualify for the World Cup through AFC, so don't see them changing.

11. Liquid Sword

Liquid Sword Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think the travel times may be the stumbling block for such a move. How much would teams like Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay want to travel the distance of the pacific ocean just to play an away match against China?

Also this question of China/India becoming competitive in football has been ongoing for as long as I can remember, doubt it will happen any time soon.

killaorca repped this.
  12. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think China getting invited to the Copa America is far far far different than getting an invite to join CONEMBOL as a permanent member. CONEMBOL wants to sell the rights to Copa America to Asia and make more money... They invited Japan in the past, I think Jamaica is taking part this time around.

As for permanent members they probably would rather add in Mexico and USA and the rest of the region, the primary reason would be to take the 3 spots from their northern neighbors and allow their members to have a shot at one additional WC spot.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think most Conmebol members would like to keep things as they are. They have a complete schedule of home and away fixtures where everyone plays everyone else to qualify for the World Cup, and all of them automatically qualify for their Continental Championship. Even the "weaker" nations get meaningful competitive games on a regular basis.

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #14 Pelefan, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    I am sure they won't mind adding the US, Mexico or Costa Rica to CONMEBOL, countries which they have invited to Copa America in the past. But I think they will hesitate to have a combined Americas federation, because they will effectively lose control to the Caribbean subregion federations which outnumber CONMEBOL, North America and Central America combined.

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think they would be happy to have these countries compete in the Copa America to round out the numbers to 12, but wouldn't want to change their World Cup qualifying. Having 12 nations adds an extra four match days to the league and they would probably need to split into two groups with a couple of other members. I think they like the status quo.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The money that Mexico and US brings from TV broadcasting which happens during premium evening hours and advertising rights has always been an incentive for CONMEBOL. I think they would look favorably to add those teams if they were to transfer because of those incentives. For now though being invited to the Copa America once in awhile is enough for US and Mexico, with regular participation in FIFA competitions as a member of CONCACAF, being an added bonus.

17. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently there are 3 exceptions to teams outside of the contiguous continent being in another federation.

1. Australia of course.
    2. Israel is geographically associated with the Middle East/Asia, but it would be highly impractical for them to play in AFC. Nothing in football is worth having a people needlessly put into harms way.
    3. Suriname, French Guiana and Guyana are CONCACAF members rather than CONMEBOL, which makes sense from a competitive, geographic, historical and cultural point of view.

If you start talking about Australia going to Europe, or US/Mexico going to South America, you will destroy the international game as we know it. It will be just like NCAA conferences, only worse, because there's much wider gaps in finances between, say England and Togo than there is between Ohio St. and Eastern Illinois. You'll have a couple confederations that get all the good teams, all the money, and then everyone else who will do little but serve as cannon fodder.

To me, the whole argument is ridiculous, sure...Australia isn't Asia "technically". But what is? It's not a very homogenous continent, how could it be when it's so damn big? But if you're going to have sour grapes and kick Australia out of AFC, be ready to lose 1 full world cup berth, because the 'roos have been carrying the water for AFC, and nobody not living above mountains of oil is clamoring for the Aussies to be left home so Bahrain can go to the WC.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The "kick Australia out of AFC" movement is similar to the "split AFC into East/West" movement in that it is mainly supported by Arab nations who currently occupy the second tier of Asian Football. It is nothing but an attempt to get some Arab nations into the World Cup, something that hasn't happened for the last two tournaments. They would be better off on improving their football so they become first tier AFC nations. If you can't compete with Japan, Korea Rep and Australia, then you really don't belong in a World Cup Finals tournament.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  19. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    China might happen but India not sure, the football administrators are killing the game.

20. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    CONMEBOL would add CONCACAF in a heartbeat if given the opportunity! Two major tv markets and also three and a half extra WC spots for grabs! They feel confident their 4-6th teams can put up a good fight with anyone in CONCACAF, especially if you look at how terrible Mexico played the last campaign there is a chance at least six CONMEBOL teams can make the world cup any given tournament this way if eight spots are given to the entire region.

Caribbeans may have many nations, but in the end the powerful will still have the most influence! Of course this is just fantasy talk but I think the chance of Brazil or Argentina visiting Jamaica or Trinidad for a qualifier will have the officials seeing $_$ in their eyes compared to the visit of Mexico, US and Costa Rica :)

Sorry to drag it off topic! But personally I think Australia joining Asia has been one of the best things to happen to the region. They bring a different style of play but are not an unbeatable titan. It has been great for the game IMO, and this Asian Cup was played in great stadiums with a lot of fans, the presentation of the games have been far better than the last few editions!

21. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you will find that with Australia playing in the confederation too you may get more European interest, and interest from the USA, as Australian soccer, sports and politics have a strong link with these areas traditionally (and currently too).

22. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That may be true but to be honest European football is very self centered and any interest they show may only benefit themselves!

23. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    On a political level, it forces people to think about the country's connection to Asia, which is a good thing. It's not much but Australia does actually have a couple of external territories that are located in Asia. For example, Christmas Island which has an ethnic Chinese majority and Cocos Islands which are majority ethnic Malay.