Were Liverpool lucky?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by scorpio81, Jul 14, 2005.

1. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The year is 2015 and little bluenose Duncan is talking to his bluenose Dad.

SON "Dad, my mates in school told me that Liverpool won the European Cup for the 5th time in 2005 - are they right dad?

DAD "Yes son, it's true, but they were dead lucky son, all the way through the tournament"

SON "Why dad?"

DAD "Well in the group stages ....."

SON "What dad, did they have a team from Azerbaijan, Israel, and Ireland in their group?"

DAD "Well no, they had Monaco, Deportivo la Coruna, and Olympiakos"

SON "Well they still sound like 3 easy teams to me dad"

DAD "Actually Monaco reached the final the year before, Olympiakos had won their league 7 times out of the previous 8 seasons, and Deportivo finished above the galacticos of Real Madrid in their league".

SON "Jeez dad, that sounds like quite a difficult group then".

DAD "yeh I suppose your right son, but they were still lucky - it took a mi**** shot by Gerrard against Olympiakos to get through".

SON "oh is that the goal were your hero Andy Gray goes berserk shouting "you beauty, you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!!!!"

DAD "yes son it is"

SON "oh ok. Well what happened in the last 16 dad, who did they draw?"

DAD "Bayer Leverkusen"

SON "Bayer who?"

DAD "Exactly son, but they had beaten Real Madrid 3-0 at home, and won their group that included Dinamo Kiev and Roma too."

SON "****** hell dad, they sound good".

DAD "yes, I suppose you're right son"

SON "so did they win on away goals or something"

DAD "errrrr, no, they won both legs 3-1 each"

SON "oh - well who next then dad"

DAD "Juventus"

SON "How the f*** did they get past them Dad?"

DAD "Well they did - they won 2-1 at home, and cruised to a 0-0 away draw without Juve having hardly any chances".

SON "were Juve sh#t at that time - had all their decent players gone or something?"

DAD "well actually they still had players like Del Piero, Nedved, Ibrahimovic, Thuram, and Buffon in the side. And they won Serie A a few weeks later."

SON "wow, they beat the Italian champions elect - which **** easy team did they get in the semi then?"

DAD "Chelsea"

SON "Chelsea - for f#cks sake - what a **** easy draw - they've won nothing, Everton have won more than them".

DAD "well that season they won the Premiership and League Cup but the Red ****e didn't let them score in 180 minutes of football"

SON "Jesus Christ - so Liverpool beat the English Champions elect too"

DAD "yes son, they ****** well did".

SON "so after all that I suppose all the good teams had been knocked out"

DAD "not quite son, AC Milan awaited them in the final"

SON "no way - aren't they the 2nd most successful team in the competition's history".

DAD "yes son they are"

SON "so were Liverpool lucky because Milan had all their good players out with injuries"

DAD "no - they had Shevchenko, Crespo, Maldini, Nesta, Cafu, Kaka, Stam, Dida, Gattuso, Pirlo, and Seedorf".

SON "your 'avin a laff"

DAD "it gets worse son, Milan were cruising 3-0 up at half-time".

SON "what happened, did they have 3 men sent off in the second half - how did Liverpool get back into the game?"

DAD "no, Milan had no men sent off, the Red ****e scored 3 goals in 6 minutes"

SON "against the best defence in Europe"

DAD "yes!!!, against the best defence in Europe"

SON "so what happened next - extra time?"

DAD "yes son, and Dudek made the luckiest save ever to stop a Shevchenko shot from a yard"

SON "why was it lucky dad - did it hit him on the a***, nose, shoulder or something"

DAD "no son, his hand"

SON "well aren't goalies meant to save shots with their hands"

DAD "yeah but that's besides the point"

SON "then what"

DAD "penalties!"

SON "English teams are crap at penalties"

DAD "not this f#ckin time they weren't - they only missed one. And that's how Liverpool became the luckiest team to win the European Cup".

SON "but I bet when they brought the cup home there was hardly anyone to watch as all Liverpool fans live anywhere but Liverpool you say. How many was there, 5,,000 or so?"

DAD "1 million people lined the streets".

SON "so let's get this straight dad - Liverpool had 3 good teams in their group, they then knocked out a team who had beaten Real Madrid 3-0, they then knocked out the future Serie A champions, then knocked out the future Premiership champions, before coming back from 3-0 down to beat the 2nd most successful club in Europe. And then the whole population of Liverpool came out to welcome them home!!!!

DAD "that about sums it up son"

SON "dad?"

DAD "yes son"

SON "can I have a Liverpool shirt for my birthday next week, and can you stop calling me Duncan - I'm Stevie from now on"

this is for all you whiners!!!
    [​IMG]

2. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Son: Dad, would you rather i played with the Chelsea fan down the street or with the Everton fan across the road?

Dad: Son, Id rather you played with Michael Jackson!

Son: Dad, why are you walking around with your hand in the air like that? Are you supporting Michael Jackson?

Dad: ******** Jackson son. FIVE!!! Thats number 5!!!

3. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This one post is better than all the I'm-trying-to-be-funny sh!t in World Rivalries.

Bravo

4. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    That was some funny ass ********, cant rep you, too much, remind me and i will

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    No, EnglishMEN are crap at penalties, no English shooters or keepers for Liverpool in this shootout :D

Great post!

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    HAHAH! Nice Shyte you bloody bastard! I don't care what anyone says, Liverpool deserved to win the Champions League!

7. Cruiseman

Cruiseman Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Cotati, CA
    brilliant post...simply brilliant..

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm speechless. HaHaHa.

9. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    To clarify i also thought it was a brilliant post and that Liverpool deserved the win....some a hole neg repped me misinterpreting my post

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Doesn't just about every winner have some luck at some point?

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course....but if so, then its a given and not a random undeserved reason for a victory you know?

12. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    If every team you face would be analized like "oh, this team beat Madrid or Milan 3-0 that season in group stage!!", and more valued for that, football would have even less logic.

13. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Classic thread. Pure classic. This is by far the best thing I've ever read on this subject of Liverpool being lucky. Hilarious!

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great thread scorpio81! Got anymore? Like Hrvat said, this is much classier than anything in the World Rivalvies forum with all the try-hards.

15. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES :D , Great game though the final. Very happy to come home from school to watch on ESPN2

16. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well when Milan won in 2003 they had beaten Real Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern Munich twice, Deportivo, Inter, and Juventus. People still say they didn't deserve it. In fact, Milan have beaten those teams, Manchester United twice and Barcelona. Yet, people still doubt that Milan is the best side in the world. Welcome to the club rookie.

17. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Except that was 2 years ago and you didn't beat either Inter or Juve, you were also completely outplayed by an average Ajax side.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Wait a minute. . . wasn't that an all (say that fast ,I dare you) Italian finale? :)

19. TheOriginalLilJon

TheOriginalLilJon New Member

May 9, 2005
    Florida
    They were lucky, but in a way where we could all enjoy great football.

I still can't believe how magical the CL Final was, and I'm not even a Liverpool Fan.

20. rfeo

rfeo New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Ok, I don't dislike LFC, but here is what I came up with. :)

even Jamie Carr admits, LFC isn't a 38-match league winning team. :)

[edit]research: wikipedia, bbc, uefa sites

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You just took the humour out of it.

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why do you hold a grudge against AC Milan? I've always seen you criticize them.

23. docliver

docliver New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    that was a good one , long but good . Its time people stop knocking Liverpool because if it were chelsea, man utd or arsenal this all wouldn't be happening but they didn't win the CL did they ? I can't even see any of those teams coming back from 3-nil down because they would of all been crying like babies. God bless the Pool faithful.

24. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    A grudge!!??? :confused: :confused:

Before the final I wanted them to win, I think I made a few posts before hand on this saying I wanted a Milan victory in Istanbul (or maybe that was another forum).

I have criticized Milan recently because some of their fans have claimed that liverpool were undeserving winners as they are not 'the best team in Europe'.They're right on that but they got as much luck as Milan 2 years ago. Champions luck. No-one could claim Milan were the best - they hadn't won lo scudetto for four years.

25. Crown Paints

Crown Paints New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Barnsley
    Its called sour grapes. Stuff like that just makes me laugh :)

funny post btw :p