We're baaaaaaaaaaaaa-ack

Discussion in 'Referee' started by andymoss, May 2, 2012.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Subtle contrast = modern look. Anyone here use gmail? The checkboxes are so light that it's almost impossible to delete messages without reading them (maybe that's the objective!) I figure that all the programmers are about 23 years old and have no idea how frustrating it is for people whose eyesight isn't so good. (Good enough to referee, but not good enough for BigSoccer!)

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing anyone can do here. Changes are site-wide. If you have suggestions, you should go to the customer service forum so that someone with authority will see them. They are pretty responsive there at the moment, given everything that's going on.

I'd also note that features are slowly trickling back, as are old threads. I think the size and/or origin date of certain threads caused them to be uploaded in later waves.

3. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely the case. The site looks so much different than it did at 9:30 last night...

4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did get distorted. Just upload it again.

MetroFever repped this.
  5. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it's a short between the chair and the keyboard, but I just created a new thread and it removed most of my capitalization when it posted: for example, PSRA became Psra. I'm sure they don't mind the emphasis on "Professional", but still...

6. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anyway we can change the color scheme and the number of posts per page? I looked in preferences and did not see anything there.

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    THis was my first reaction. 3 posts per page!?!?!
    I hate it.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    ??
    I see 20/page. (I'd actually prefer to see more, but like you, I don't see anything in the preferences to change)

9. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    3 per screen w/o scrolling when at top of page; 4 in the middle of the page.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not really new, though, is it? If I recall correctly, you could only see the top post on most threads when you opened it under the previous layout--maybe two posts. Unless I'm mistaking what you're saying (or you had manipulated the old layout somehow with personalized settings), this seems to be an improvement in that regard.

Regardless, when we're dealing with longer posts here (which we often do in this forum), isn't the point moot? In many threads, you're only going to see one post per "screen."

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ahh. I finally get what you're saying and agree -- with the Avatars so large, even if the posts are short, they still don't fit . . . . that was somewhat true on the old format, depedning on how much stuff was added along with the avatars, wasn't it. (As you can tell from my fancy avatar, I think they are very important . . . :rolleyes: )

12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Too much gray. Ugly. Not enough contrast. hard on th eyes. Avatars look horrible.

13. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Where are the MLS Referee Appointments?

14. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    Wow. I didn't think it could get any worse. It did.

Usenet news was easier to read than this! :devilish:

15. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just posted so that thread is back at the top.

16. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hefftheref repped this.
  17. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Is there any way to add a comment when you rep a post? I used to like that feature in the old site.

nsa repped this.
  18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All caps is considered yelling. I wonder if there is an HTML code to force all caps. SOMETIMES more text allows all caps.

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not. :rolleyes:

20. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I like the changes. I'd like for the "report/rep/quote" features to be darker instead of grayed until you hover over them.

This is a good move for the site.

21. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    I'm very aware of the book, Andy, and I'm not at all averse to change. When the change doesn't make things worse, that is. These changes have greatly reduced usability for the way I use the site, making it harder to read, harder to navigate, harder to find updated threads. The only upside is that, so far, it seems to be faster.

22. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Instead of dealing with the change, I would rather just hang out at Cheese Station C and complain!

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    They're only grayed until you hover over the post, not the buttons themselves.

I mostly like the changes, but agree there seems to be an inordinate amount of dead space, both because of the too-large avatars and because the site will only go so wide, so that a wider window just produces the big gray borders. But no major complaints so far. I don't get the "not enough contrast" comments. Posts are showing up here with what appears to be black text on a white background, which is plenty contrasty enough for my taste.

Most important, the speed is great, and well worth any minor quibbles and bumps in the road in transition.

24. QuietCoach

QuietCoach Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Littleton, MA
    I'll miss that feature too. On the bright side, I do like the way the new software shows right at the bottom of a post who has "repped" it (or how many people have -- they apparently changed that configuration a couple times yesterday). It's interesting to see who likes a particular offbeat viewpoint and which members seem to just rep everything.

If it were up to me, I'd combine the best of both. The original poster would see the specific feedback, and everyone else would see something like: "Cool Dude, Mex Ref, and 5 others liked this. 2 disliked it."

The new Trophy Points scheme, while slightly hokey, also seems like a step in the right direction. I thought the old site ranked too many members (including me) as an "unknown quantity" and refused to count our reps.

"Preview" before posting a reply no longer shows the latest replies. I wish there were keyboard shortcuts, including a way to step through to the unread replies in the next thread without having to return to the forum page (just hit spacebar to scroll down, move to the next page of replies, or move to the next thread, as appropriate).

- QC