Wenger's Wit

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by shincan, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    He was on Radio 5 this a.m. Amazingly back in the 50s France offered to 'merge' countries with England/UK which was turned down, and various Franglais speakers were asked to comment. Wenger said that Arsenal had done their bit by creating a merging of the 2 countries at the club, but he thought it might be a little bit too soon for the 2 countries, and you just knew he was saying it with that little half smile of his...

2. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :eek: :eek:

3. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from. - responding to criticisms from Little Englander and Boro Chairman Steve Gibson about the lack of English players Arsenal have which hinders the national side ..

:D

4. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    On Chelsea's debt:

"They have a super sponsor. With normal mathematics, minus 80 is minus 80. It is 80 miles below water, and to survive so deep is normally very difficult."

not bad, mister metaphor, not bad at all...

5. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Interesting as a frenchman he used miles as a measurement rather than kilometres...

6. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can we keep this thread going forever? :)

7. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Quote of the Week

[​IMG] Oi! Put your pants on!

"When you're dealing with someone who only has a pair of underpants on, if you take his underpants off, he has nothing left - he's naked. You're better off trying to find him a pair of trousers to complement him rather than change him."
    Arsene Wenger explains his football philosophy - something about not stifling creativity and taking away a player's flair. We think.

8. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a difference a day makes”, as our jocular manager managed a total transformation from the man, who only 24 hours earlier had appeared to be in such an utter tizzy in his Friday press conference.

9. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    From BBC Gossip Page:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he may give the Football Association his credit card so it can take fines straight out of his bank account. (Guardian)

10. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    haha classic

11. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    not at all because I started it, but I love this thread. Wenger really is a clever speaker.

But, I sure wish I understood his squad selection policies....I wouldn't call them witty at all...

12. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
  13. HappyGooner

HappyGooner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    One of my all time favorites was when Wenger and mourinho had that public spat, "you give stupid people some success, they become more stupid".

14. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them.'
    'He made the impossible possible.'
    'Davor has a left leg and a nose in the box.'
    'As long as no-one scored, it was always going to be close'

15. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "You can not say Walcott is a potential world-class player and then, when we have to play him, ask why we do not sign another world-class player." - To the media .. Link

16. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    right on Wenger.

(but still, consider, like, two purchases. use reyes money, etc.)

17. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "I went back to my hotel and intended to watch Tottenham on television - but I fell asleep." (On his first day in England after taking over at Highbury.)

:D ..

18. Skizz

Skizz Guest

A few that made me laugh:

“Gerard [Houllier]’s thoughts on the matter echo mine. He thinks that what the national coaches are doing is like taking the car from the garage without even asking permission. They will then use the car for ten days and abandon it in a field without any petrol left in the tank. We then have to recover it, but it is broken down. Then a month later they will come to take your car again, and for good measure you’re expected to be nice about it”

Wenger on internationals

“It’s like you wanting to marry Miss World and she doesn’t want you. What can I do about it? I can try to help you, but if she does not want to marry you what can I do?

Wenger on Reyes

“I am still hopeful we can go through the season unbeaten – a frightening thought”

The now legendary quote

“Despite global warming, England is still not warm enough for him”

Reyes again

“Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home”

19. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can read that first one again and again .. And still manage to smile ..

20. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    In response to Ferguson's criticism of the invincibles and that Man U had been the better side is my favourite :D

21. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many great quotes. However in relation to the first one and international breaks. Did any of you guys see on SkySports News (not sure if its the same in England or not) the poll they did asking Pool supporters whether or not Gerrard should play for England? Well if you didnt there was only like 2 yeses and a bunch of nos. It was hilarious so many people looked so conflicted.

22. rojagooner

rojagooner New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this one...Le Boss is creating new words!

From The Sun:

“I’m very excited with this team because they are ‘playerish’ — if there is such a word — they love to play.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Arsenal summed up in 2 words...

Footballistic, and now playerish :D

25. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    New one on Jose Mourinho:

"It is one thing to be entertaining in press conferences but it is not the same value as being entertaining on the pitch."