Wenger's Not Buying It

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by topcatcole, Oct 26, 2004.

1. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger is not buying Ruud's "apology". From soccernet

Wenger blasts Ruud despite apology
    Ruud van Nistelrooy's apology to Ashley Cole does not look like ending his feud with Arsenal after Arsene Wenger launched another bitter attack on the Dutchman.

Van Nistelrooy began the first suspension of his Manchester United career tonight after pleading guilty to the charge of serious foul play levelled against him by the Football Association following his crude tackle on Cole during the Red Devils' 2-0 win at Old Trafford.

Under the FA's new fast-track disciplinary process, the striker will also miss Saturday's trip to Portsmouth and the November 7 Manchester derby as a result of the challenge BBC pundit Alan Hansen labelled `a disgrace'.

Van Nistelrooy maintains the incident was not premeditated but TV replays looked bad, prompting the apology to Cole which accompanied a vehement defence of his disciplinary record.

'There was no deliberate intent to harm Ashley Cole and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to him,' said Van Nistelrooy.

'Throughout my 10-year career I believe my disciplinary record is very good, not only for Manchester United but at all my previous clubs.

'I accept the charge made by the FA and I take full responsibility for this incident.'

However, van Nistelrooy's stance is unlikely to win him too much sympathy at Highbury and Wenger's latest comments will not do much to ease the on-going tension between England's biggest clubs.

The striker was already public enemy number one among the Gunners for his role in getting Patrick Vieira dismissed on Arsenal's previous Premiership visit to Old Trafford 13 months ago.

On that occasion, the 28-year-old was mobbed by angry visiting players after missing a last-gasp penalty.

This season, van Nistelrooy did not miss - either Cole or the net after he was offered a chance to redeem himself for his previous spot-kick blunder.

Wenger was seething at the former PSV Eindhoven man's challenge, labelling him a cheat, a statement that could yet land the Frenchman in trouble with the FA, an accusation that prompted the `soupgate' tunnel scandal which United have been so keen to play down.

It is the latest in a series of misguided challenges by van Nistelrooy, who escaped without censure last week after catching Sparta Prague defender Pavel Pergl in the face with a stray elbow.

The prolific forward is clearly earning himself a bad reputation and Wenger is not in the mood to offer forgiveness.

'Van Nistelrooy is a big enough player just to come and play football,' said the Arsenal chief.

'I have no preconceived ideas about him but what is he doing carrying out such silly things.

'If you look at the video again it wasn't just the challenge on Ashley Cole, he also steps on Jens Lehmann in the second half and it's clearly on purpose.

'He does it like he is always innocent. Who is he trying to impress by doing that.

'Why can't he just play football and forget all the rest.'

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Why can't Wenger accept defeat and stop causing trouble through his bitter comments? Sir Alex hasn't mentioned anything about the various bad Arsenal tackles or the tunnel incident. At least one manager is able to show some post-game tact. Regardless of what Arsene "I didn't see that incident..." Wenger has to say, we all know his players have done exactly the same thing. Pot, kettle, black? I think so.

3. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    As always, Arsene knows.

4. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, why can't you stop trolling? That's something that you could control.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If you think this is trolling, you have another thing coming.

6. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Oh please, your scaring me!!! :eek:

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Seriously, I have not been trolling. If you want me to start however... No, that would be far too harsh on Rick.

8. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think this is a troll? "At least one manager is able to show some post-game tact."

Actually, I'm just sending you up. Have a good evening. ;)

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No, I don't. Come on Red Sox, close it out. :D

10. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence

Shut the fcuk up, you know exactly what you're doing Mr. Coming-in-and-posting-nothing-but-sh-it-after-Arsenal-loses-and-then-whining-about-being-disliked. I know what you're thinking, that's an awfully long name, but you are an awfully big loser.

Oh, and the fact that you aren't good at trolling doesn't mean you aren't doing it, it's just part of the suckitude that is you.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    boo hoo, it's not fair... What a pathetic post fox point.

I do not troll. You will find that I state my opinion and usually develop it, like most of the Henry threads. Unlike proper trolls who just post crap to get a rise out of you lot (step forward one manc_sean). Fair enough, I might have some banter but not to the troll level. My bad rep is mainly the result of people being unable to accept or even respond to what I have posted. They therefore take the easy option and use the joke of a rep system. Does it bother me? Not at all, because rep means nothing and the system is constantly abused anyway. If you don't like what I post then respond in a mature manner and let's debate. If not, then shut the ******** up and ignore the post.

12. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on!!

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If posting anything against your beloved Arsenal is trolling, then I suppose I am... :rolleyes:

14. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now where is that Livingston board again? Oh, they're too pathetic and small to have one, so I guess Livingston fans have to go out and troll somewhere else. Have I neg repped you? No, because your posts aren't worth it. Have you ever contributed anything useful in any conversation? Reading your claptrap is a waste of time and electrons. You called me pathetic because I am choosing to not read your posts anymore. If you had made one post, on any board, worth reading, I wouldn't be doing it. You make guys like Ilovecolumbia seem like the towering minds of our time.

Just try to contribute something positive once in a while.

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Seeing as Scotland doesn't even have it's own board, then that would be very difficult. What a pity... I'll just need to stick with all of the separate Livi boards that are around. Which is something that you should do for Arsenal. If you cannot handle people coming onto this board or having the audacity to criticise Arsenal, then it is fairly obvious that bigsoccer is not the best place for you. Find an Arsenal board and enjoy it. No-one will say anything bad and everyone will be happy. If however, you like debate and some banter, then stick around baby, that's what bs is all about. I have made lot's of good posts, particulary in the infamous manc_sean Henry thread. Why don't you take a look?

16. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes there is--
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37
    and if there is no Livingston forum, start one, petition the management. Just stop hanging around running down everyone else's team. In case you have not noticed, and it's obvious you haven't, you are on an Arsenal board and I am trying to enjoy it. Why don't you go over to the board for your beloved ManU and criticize away. It is totally different if you want to do that, but when you come into this board and all you do is criticize and never have anything good to say, then you are a troll, plain and simple. What you do here is not debate, it is attack, and you are obviously lucid enough to know the difference.
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt and I will even look at the manc-sean Henry thread (although I think I remember it). Just show some respect when you are a visitor.

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    speaking of Livingston
    do you think they should kick Celtic and Rangers out of the SPL and make em go in EPL coz no one comes close to getting a chance
    are Hearts like the 3rd best team there?

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    "Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales"

Who are those other two? I know that board exists and have used it before. My statement remains true. There is no point in making a Livi board for one person. I will just use our main Livi board. I am fully aware that I am on the Arsenal board. I have also used the Man Utd board and been critical on that too. Just ask Motterman.

I understand your point, however that would make life and these boards boring. There is a difference between posting along the lines of "Henry is a waster" or "Henry is over-rated because...". I feel that I am the latter. As I have said, the separate boards are very biased. Consider me to be the opposition. I will criticise, debate and add banter. Through these debates, we will come to a point between our separate views. This point will roughly be a fair reflection of whatever we are debating. If you want peace and biased Arsenal posts, then find another board. If you enjoy debates then stick around. I responded to a PM by Rick and stated that I wasn't going to troll the board straight after the match. I feel that enough time has now passed for me to add comments. A real troll like manc_sean wouldn't have bothered.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They should be kicked out for the good of the Scottish game. It has reached a stage where they get most of the money, all of the press, all of the decisions and are able to steal any good player that a non-Old Firm club develops. It is bad for the Scottish game and for the national team. If the EPL is the place for them, then so be it. Take our last game as an example. Celtic won 4-2. Their first two goals appeared offside and they could have had three players sent off. Despite this, Martin O'Neill comes out in the press and starts crying at how we played against them. Hearts are probably the most consistant team outside of the Old Firm. Although they are about 20 million in debt and looking to sell their stadium before that random guy took an interest.

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point. If you are debating, that is one thing, but in this case you have made "Henry is a waster"-type comments, and it is from such a comment that our "debate and banter" began last night (BTW, do you ever sleep?). Specifically you said "At least one manager is able to show some post-game tact." Does that kind of attack on someone that is highly regarded on this board, with no real background, not stoop to the level of trolling? I admit it is not the worst offense that there's ever been, but by your definition above it would be a troll, and I called you on it.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I don't sleep when the World Series is on!

I don't see much wrong with my "at least one manager is able to show some post-game tact" comment. By just cutting and pasting, it has been taken out of context. So let's look at things in their proper context.

"Why can't Wenger accept defeat and stop causing trouble through his bitter comments? Sir Alex hasn't mentioned anything about the various bad Arsenal tackles or the tunnel incident. At least one manager is able to show some post-game tact. Regardless of what Arsene "I didn't see that incident..." Wenger has to say, we all know his players have done exactly the same thing. Pot, kettle, black? I think so."

Okay, it comes across as being a tad harsh but my point remains. It is Wenger and his players who have been complaining, calling the ref biased and calling players cheats. These comments are "against the spirit of the game" and only lead to increase the current bad feeling surrounding the game and both clubs. Contrast this to Sir Alex. He's had food thrown at him and yet hasn't said anything. He could have spoken about Wenger being a hypocrite or the various Arsenal fouls throughout the game. He has not and is letting the relevant authorities do their job. In my opinion, that is showing more tact than Wenger. Of course, I could have posted saying that "Wenger is a dirty French hypocrite and should shut the ******** up and learn from Sir Alex". However, I did not. This is the key difference between myself and a troll.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't cut and paste to remove context; I did it to make clear the part that was offensive to me. If I were in your place I would probably see it just as you have described it. Thanks for clarifying. From my point of view it looks a little different.
    I want my manager to defend the team. I think Riley clearly showed favoritism, especially on the game-turning calls. I won't go into the specifics here, as I have said them repeatedly in other threads, but I want my manager to say this as well. I would not expect SAF to say anything. He is not the aggreived party as far as the on-field result is concerned. All of the disputed calls went his way. What's he going to say, "My team won even though the ref did a poor job?" It's not showing tact to act in your own self-interest. Wenger's comments are not whining from my POV, they are defending the team. I don't think he has defended any foul we commited, but he has pointed out the questionable calls made by the match official. Even most of the press (which I know you revile) and many of the ManU posters that frequent this board have expressed similar thoughts about the match officiating. Why do you think it is not a manger's place to do so as well? If the shoe were on the other foot, I know you would hear SAF complaining because he has done so when he felt the officiating was at fault.
    As far as bad feeling surrounding the game, talk to RvN about his nasty tackles in both matches and his provocative tactics. He has done more, IMO, than anyone else to promote the bad feelings about the game. Many of the ManU players played nasty, cynical soccer and the team got away with it due to poor judgement on the part of the referee and I for one want my manager to say so.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Of course Wenger is entitled to his opinion, but it is the way in which he did so. He could have showed some tact, but he choose not to and instead went all out and accused the referee or being biased and an opposition player of being a cheat. Judging by some of his later comments, it appears to me as if he regrets his heat of the moment ranting. Surely a better option if he felt so incensed was to say he wouldn't comment until after he had reviewed the tape? All he has achieved is to make his comments sound like sour grapes and to have the FA investigate him, again. Some tact was all that he needed to avoid such a situation.

For bad feelings my comment would simply be to "get your own house in order before judging others". Most of the bad feeling has extended from what your players did at OT last season and Wenger's ranting afterwards. The fact that Pires brought everything up again last week also didn't help. It's all about cause and effect.

24. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what OUR players did at OT last year? Did you see the game? All of the bust up at the end was a direct result of the uncalled stamp on Vieira that led to the red card . Also note that Vieira made no contact with RvN, who went to ground like he had been shot. That is the source of your bad feelings. RvN is and always will be a cheat and a scoundrel. There is no way it started with the aftermath of the PK.

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Take a deep breath and count to 10.

I saw the game. There was no stamp and Vieira fully deserved his red card. There doesn't need to be any contact for action to be taken.