"wenger troubled by henry future" bbcnews update

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by wwnyc, Sep 23, 2005.

1. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4276762.stm

excerpt:

Striker Henry, 28, has two years left to run on his current contract.

"I can't say Henry will be at Arsenal next season," said the Arsenal boss. "Under the new Fifa rules, a player can move without permission of any club.

Let's hope we can extend Henry's contract before years end.....

2. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    From www.skysports.com today:

No, I am not worried. Thierry Henry is of course healthy. Most importantly he is happy and has shown a huge commitment.

''You always have to put things in perspective, the commitment Thierry has shown this club against one headline in one newspaper.

''I go for what he has shown this club in six years since he came, that's the reality.''

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These rumors fly every time a team goes into a slump (Man United included). With Vieira now gone, the most obvious target is Henry, regardless of his stature among fans and the players.

Not that Wenger has ever been afraid to sell a player for a top price. Still seems far-fetched.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    If Wenger feels building a new team will take a few years, selling Henry wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Take the cash, invest it back in the side.

5. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's what I don't understand: how are we in a slump? We got upset by Middleboro with our prime scorer (Henry) and one of our most spirited players (Freddie) on the sidelines and on Boro's home field. Even the best team get upset every once in a while. If they didn't, the Invincibles would not have been so staggering.

And we lost 1-0 to the defending champions on their home ground. Sure it sucked but, they are a darn good side and they were playing at home.

That's it. Two losses and both on enemy ground. In one we were without two of our best and in the other we played a great team darned close and lost by the slimmest margin.

We are not in a slump. We have suffered two losses early in the season and that is bothersome but, it isn't season ending. We still have Cups to win and a league to contend. Two losses don't end our season. Just think how much things change if we beat Chelsea at home.

This season is too young to be surrendered and two losses do not a slump make! This team has talent and even if we can't catch Chelsea in the Premiership (I think someone can so, why not us), we still have Cups to compete for and glory to be had. Just think of this time as the period that separates the true Gooners from the Nancies who run and hide when the going gets a little tough. Afterall, all those bandwagon Chelsea fans came from somewhere and we can't possibly believe that Arsenal is immune to bandwagoners. This is a chance to shed them before renewed glory!

6. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Wenger this, Wenger that. The team is going down. Blind faith is a slow poison.
    The team was weak last season. In response to that Wenger sold Vieira. That is like taking a piss on an already loose stool.
    Still there are people who think it is okay for Henry to go if Wenger says so.
    Zani says:
    In God we trust, all others we investigate.

7. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sell Henry?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: !Tu esta loco!

Hey guys, Deaner is right, the season is going fine... the last thing we should consider is selling Henry. Well, maybe the last thing we consider is selling Wenger himself, but second to that is selling Henry. This isn't a rebuilding year, it's a year to compete and see how high we can finish. Henry is definitely a part of that formula (the formula for competing, not giving up and rebuilding).

8. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Ah a man after my own heart. Good post Deaner1971 - Reps to that man!

Not in your case it isn't. Considering your a team-switching glory hunter who seems to have trouble understanding COMMON SENSE much less anything about Football - how do you expect us to take anything you say or think seriously? Perhaps "think" is too strong a word here I dunno...

And sure enough you go and prove me right with your very next comment. I mean ffs second place with one of our largest points hauls to date and were weak. Wtf are you smoking? And by the way - Vieira isn't the be all and end all of Arsenal FC and neither is Henry...

I think its time for the Zani Song

9. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Plink,Plink , Kerplunkzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    That was brilliant

11. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    ZANI is brilliant, I don't know why these muppets get all worked up by his posts... :confused:

I never take the guy seriously, maybe that's why I find him so fucking hilarious!

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    If you haven't noticed, the team is plainly not as good as it was two years ago.

I wouldn't give up on the season yet, but at the end of the season, if Wenger feels that he's taken the current squad as far as it can go, and that it's time to invest in youth, then selling Henry buys you a lot of youth.

Henry is probably the best Arsenal player I've ever seen (and I've been watching the club for almost 20 years), but selling high and buying kids is not a bad idea.

13. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Part of the problem with selling Henry, beyond the obvious fact that his talent would be missed in any side, is that its not likely that Arsenal would get true value for him. Look at what Wenger got for Vieira this summer. Vieira is a bit older than Henry will be next summer, but it would selling a player with only one year left on his contract. I just can't see clubs offering up with Henry is really worth in that situation.

14. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    What are they talking about? What is this rule?

If it existed, Abromovich could buy a few countries every summer instead of spending money on transfer fees.

15. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Charmed I'm sure....

16. KazuoH

KazuoH New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Lets just hope its a way for the papers to keep things interesting since most folks out there think the EPL is done and its not even winter yet. They got to have something to write about right? Who knows, but it wouldn't be good if Henry left, that much is for sure.

17. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
  18. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are advocating selling Henry then you *are* giving up on this season and next... yes you'll raise a sum of money for "buying kids" but it will be evident to all onlookers that you have given up and are in a rebuilding mode. I'd rather us hold onto aguably the best player in the world and compete consistently. Since when is there a rule that "if you win a trophy but after five games you don't look quite as good then you have to sell your best player and enter a 'rebuilding phase'"?

Selling our best player is the surest way to reach for mediocrity.

19. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree we should assess at the end of the year but, keep the team united and focused until then as this team has every chance of improving during the year and making runs for hardware be year-end.

Plus, keeping the vets around is the best way to help along some of the talented youngsters. The only danger I see is that Henry might buy out his contract and that means we get nothing for him.

If he would only re-sign, I think the team gets a boost in confidence and a sense of continuity that will really get the wind back in our sails.

Does anyone have full details on the player contract buy-out option and when it can and can't be invoked?

20. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    We won't win f*** all by selling our best player. It just doesn't work..in ANY league. Henry is a once in a lifetime player...there is no "reinvesting" character, soul, or heart. Sell off the glory hunters that may lurk around the Arsenal, but sell Henry? Non!

Any of this rubbish about Henry wanting to leave isn't worth the paper its written on. The man loves playing here, loves Wenger and wants to lead us to new glory, new silverware. Period.

21. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your mouth to God's ears (and I don't mean Dennis B.! ;) )

22. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling Henry would be mad IMO. I don't think that Henry is leaving any time soon. The contract talks will go on for awhile as they should. This is one of Henry's biggest signings and he and the club will work on negotiations for a bit.

23. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

No sane fan would ever want their club to sell off one of the best players in the world at the peak of his career, the club's only reliable goal scorer, captain, and back-to-back winner of the golden boot to "reinvest" in the squad. That is just silly. :rolleyes:

24. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Just out of interest, can anyone actually find a factual article anywhere that states that arsenal have tried to open negotiations with Henry and have been rebuffed/reversed/knocked back etc. or that Henry is stalling on the terms offered... or is this media circus just purely down to the fact that we haven't started talking to him yet ?

Just curious you understand ;)