Wenger is a dork

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by benine, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why thank you. I try.

Hard not to be, sometimes. Know what I mean?

As for being "obsessed" with your risible mob, I look forward to your first ever visit to Sold Trafford. Do come back and tell us all how many banners about Liverpool you counted.

It's usually in double figures. At games against Charlton and the like ...

ROFL!

If only they knew, eh kids?

2. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Re: Re: Wenger is a dork

You know, in this thread and on this board, and pretty much everywhere people who self evidently don't understand British soccer talk about that subject, rubbish like the above gets written about the nature of the rivalry between ManUre and Liverpool. And frankly, comments like those above are drivel.

The rivalry between the two teams is about many things. Immigration. Accidents of geography. Traditions. Playing styles and image. Ego. Personality and character. Even religion, to the extent that the Irish diaspora provides significant support for both clubs. It's about almost everything except "we've won more trophies than you", and if that's the best you can come up with then I suggest you don't really understand what motivates and underlies either club, let alone their rivalry with each other.

I wish people who understand what's happening on the pitch would keep their comments to events on the pitch, and leave debate about the semantics of the game to those who know what they're talking about. One reason why, as much as I follow Serie A, I almost never post on the Italy board. I simply cannot pretend to be an Ultra when I am self evidently a million miles removed from that sort of knowledge.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Spot on. Of course.

But don’t make them stop!! It’s all just a bit of fun with the plazzies innit? See how huffy they get, it’s ace. I know United fans who do this for sport with the "Man Yoo" crowd on the web. Loads of them. It’s just the way it is. The immediacy of TV and the Internet convinces some people that they’ve actually lived this stuff. Personally, I can never understand how - I mean, I used to watch the NBA on TV, I have managed to hold my own on the subject in bar discussions in the US, but as if I was going to give it the big I Am on the Internet (or in real life) about the aspects of the game I have never experienced!! How could I?

I like the lads over in the Liverpool forum. People who talk the game in strict accordance with their experience of it. All of them state a desire to visit Anfield (some have already done so, but thus far, no one has been doing the raw prawn about aspects of the game connected to those experiences they lack. Which is how it should be. But then, the chippy “Man Yoo fan” is one of the great joys of this here web thing and we must make room for them in the world also. :D

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Take that, you Europoseurs!

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Wenger is a dork

Original paragraph I was responding to:

Now, please point out why he doesn't sound like he isn't jealous of our recent successes.

He has no problem using "standards set by our club and manager" - what the bejeezus else is he referring to if not Championships, Trophies, etc?

He also labels them "lamentable". If that doesn't indicate a jealous disposition, I don't know what does.

Of course, I might be off base here, but I sincerely doubt it. And no matter how many other 'pool supporters (or ABU's for that matter) who show up to agree with you, I believe I have you pegged, mate.

Furthermore, I know all I need to know about the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United. It may be huge but it's not as.....wait for it....massive as the one we have with Man Citeh, likewise we aren't Liverpool's greatest rival of all either.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :p

Classic!

Context, dear boy. Context!

OK. Once more, slowly for the back of the class.

You were offering up some lame-arse whinge about how Wenger was, apparently, being hypocritical and inflammatory (toward United, the centre of everyone’s universe, of course).

The assertion of more or less everyone else here is that it could perfectly reasonably be assumed to be a comment made because the Champions League was again being played and, as such, a topic for conversation again in any interviews he may give. It could, in short, have had nothing whatsoever to do with your precious Man Yoo and not be the Wenger equivalent of the pitiful “mindgames” that Demento likes to think he’s so good at. Incredible concept, I know …

The inference therefore being, quite obviously that you should perhaps view the world of football through eyes less jaundiced by the lamentable standard of word and deed that both your club and it’s manager operate at in matters concerning the world around them.

And from that you got to titles and trophies AND the conclusion that I, despite supporting a better, healthier, more real and infinitely more successful club than you, feel inferiority and jealousy viz-a-viz Manchester United.

ROFL!!

Dearie me. Nice try, like, but dearie, dearie me …

Syd merely weighed in with the entirely valid observation that someone who has never experienced the nature, reality or detail of the relationship he seeks to compartmentalise, should perhaps not bother doing so. Indeed, he should just stick to watching footie on the TV and talking about the game, because his forays into the land of the real fan invariably leave him looking like a right plum.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From Football365.com:
    Meanwhile, Wenger has made it on to the back page of several of the tabloids this morning after, in The Daily Mirror‘s words, ‘questioning Manchester United's right to be playing for Europe's top trophy this season by calling for a "real" Champions League.’

It's OK. After 10-15 years of sub-mediocrity it's only natural to be bitter. The icing is the fact that your only hope (up to just last year) had been for somebody else to finish ahead of us to stop us from catching up to you.

It's great to see that you still have your sense of humour intact.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Arf …

Oh yeah … I still have my sense of humour in tact. Ha ha ha! Most definitely …

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    For our own amusement we sang..to the tune of the nat ant of course...circa 1979-87...

"We hate Nottingham forrest
    we hate liverpool too..."

Remember that anyone?
    Truly fukin amazing the amount of man u ( did you know they absolutly detest being called that?) fans on here that have that in their teams line.

Just though i'd throw that in.

Any older ones out there that may remember this one..
    "we're the Fullham road supporters
    And we're louder than the KOP
    if anyone wants to argue
    we'll do the fuking lot"

That one went over well at Analfield, but not for long.Hard to drown out 30,000 plus.

Remember the Liver Birds?
    Well, guess it might only be a UK thing...
    This one was a favourite of mine and it was sung to the tune of the liver birds....

"If you're standing on a corner
    with a red scarf round your neck
    Chelsea fans will come and get you
    and break your fuking neck"
    La la la la, etc etc

Seen a few banners in the north end during the 80's, said things like 'pool won the title, so did we"
    That was circa '84...get it?

buti get your point on the idea you were trying to get across.

Whats my point?
    In all the years of slagin each other off and takin the piss on the terraces (yikes, i am old) the mentioning of how much silverware one was ahead of the other was not the point.Far from it.And anyone who doesn't understand that is also far from the point of rivalries as they used to be.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, ours goes "we hate nottingham forest, we hate everton too", but it's there.

Actually, most Liverpool songs are about Liverpool, not other clubs. This season, "Fields of Anfield Road" has been enjoying a long overdue renaissance (you may have heard it if you watched the Blackburn match on Wednesday) and "Scouser Tommy" is going strong as well, back down to the slower, less breathless pace at which it has been sung in recent years.

As to the Chelsea monkey on our back, well yeah ... touchy subject. The old "It was Chelsea" and "Chelsea killed the 39" chants have long since died out, but you still hear opinions of that kind expressed around the Breck Road whenever the topic comes up.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC