Wenger hopeful on injured stars

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by krause9, Oct 21, 2004.

1. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone heard any more news regarding Vieira's fitness?
    Personally, I think he shouldn't be played unless he is 100 percent. The match is likely to be rough and we need him healthy for long run over the short term benefit of him playing on Sunday.

3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    agree, do you remember when he tried to come back early against ManU at Highbury two seasons ago (2-2)? Wound up having to be substituted early on.

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed... the team shouldnt take any stupid risks simply because we're playing ManUre. I mean it will suck to be taunted by their fans and SAF should we field a B-squad and lose, but if we think long-term and stay healthy we win the EPL and that's the priority (along with Europe of course), not one game along that road.

Freddie and Jose looked good and I'm sure Henry will at least play a bit... so not all is lost, especially when you factor in the wildcard, a rested DB10 of course. Hopefully Pires will make it too but if not just slot Reyes back there, and have Henry and DB10 up front.

5. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a problem PV has had over the years, trying to come back to early and aggrivating the injury. If he isn't fit, bench him. I would imagine that Henry will be fine since he stayed in the match yesterday. As mentioned above, a rested DB10 will be critical.

6. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    My big worry about Vieira is that he seems to be quite brittle and gets injured for chunks of every season. And as he gets older, it's only going to happen more.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it seems like every time this happens it is a result of him trying to come back too early....as others have said.

8. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    it would be interesting to compare whether he is injured more often relative to others who play his style of football.