Wembley here we come : New England Revs @ Sporting KC 5/25 7:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, May 21, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was New England's scrubs. But it feels nice to get a big win.

Fun facts that I just got done posting on Twitter.

That's the first time we've won by 5 goals since our 6-1 win over Des Moines in the 2005 USOC.

That's the first time we've scored 5 against an MLS team since we beat Dallas 5-1 on July 3, 2004.

The last time we beat an MLS team by 5 goals was 4/29/00 AT Colorado, 5-0.

2. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that as well and had a little laugh. Couldn't make out what he was saying, but he was definitely one of the loudest players there. He also did a lot of organization.

In general it was clear that our team had the more consistent starting 11 by how much more communication we had. KC was by far more vocal.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. I pray to God that the guy doing the stadium announcing tonight is not the guy that will do the announcing at LiSP. 1) he seemed like he was drunk during his announcing. 2) his goal call was HORRIBLE

4. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that was Chance Meyers or Ryan Pore....that was Reserve Team Jesus. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xrNaTO1bI"]YouTube - ‪Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Remastered Video)‬‏[/ame]

Your own - Reserve Team - Jesus

Gotta give credit to James for even thinking about this song.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never been a Myers fan and it would take a more than a couple of goals against a reserve team to convince me otherwise. I've seen too much mediocre play out of him when playing against first team players. Verdict: Ryan Pore 2.0...

6. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it was against a reserve team, but we were prepared to thrash them, and that's a good sign.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Very good result. Hopefully that is enough to perk everyone's morale in to giving us a few league wins.

Someone had mentioned they didn't know how Smith's 1v1 shot didn't go in... that was a ridiculously good save by Shuttleworth. He some how got his right hand down there and deflected it just enough to send it wide. I'd love to see that one again in close up high def.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we were walking up to the stadium as the players were being introduced and we said that better not be the guy doing the call at LiSP. He sounded like a high school game announcer so maybe he is BV's guy.

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing I hope this result does is raise morale and confidence. If we win at Colorado this week I think this game could be a big reason for it.

10. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Score could have been even worse. It's really nice to get the win, and I bet the boys feel a little weight off of their shoulders now. It will be interesting to see if momentum carries over to Saturday's game.

Until Chance Myers plays like that with consistency, he's Ryan Pore 2.0...

Congrats to all of you locals that braved the crappy weather. I must say I was a little jealous not to be standing in the rain with ya. The guys need to see that support right now IMHO.

11. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ******** that rain. I still feel cold this morning. Roll on June 9th and hopefully a sunny warm day.

12. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it was a Revs reserve team.... Sinovic had a really nice outing--he was adept at getting up and back (don't remember him ever getting caught too far upfield) and defended well one on one. It would be nice if Zusi could play as well as he did every time he steps on the field (but his showing was promising).

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Sinovic played very well. Looks like the starting left back spot is his to lose while Roger is gone.

14. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, while everyone else was bemoaning the fact that it missed, I was saying "wow, great save". Shuttleworth (get a shorter name, man!) didn't commit too early, kept his composure and got just enough to push it wide, SOTW nominee worthy, even, if it were in a league game.

15. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I found interesting is the number of times we passed over Sinovic despite him being wide, wide open. Not sure if they really didn't see him, didn't think they could make the right pass or just weren't comfortable with him yet.

16. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We tend to overlook that pass a lot regardless of who the player is on the opposite side of the field.

17. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - which is one of the things I really like about Zusi is that he does and did use that pass a few times in the game. Still, sometimes it wasn't even switching fields - the ball would be relatively central in the midfield and Sinovic would be waving his hands, wide open, and they'd go the other direction.

I will say that I thought we had done a good job of switching fields multiple times in the Seattle game. Our execution isn't always the best (sometimes the actual pass allowed the defense to adjust by the time it got there) but we were trying and accomplishing it a lot more - though I don't know if I would attribute that to the adjustment to the 4-2-3-1 that we seemed to have made for Seattle.

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/05/eastern-conference-notes.html

:rolleyes:

The conditions didn't seem to bother our players much. Ya know, that's the last time anybody can use the narrow field excuse again......:)

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club: