Welcome to Old Trafford #7 Alexis Sánchez :)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the reasoning behind this, honestly, is addition by subtraction.

Just by the simple fact of not having his presence and situation around.

It's a massive gamble though.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i know right

benni... repped this.
  3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    WTF are we doing?

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What exactly is Sanchez going to bring to the table for us?

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    gotta love how Beppe Marotta is our de facto director of football

7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Another body, and a capable player. People are talking like he’s a completely known quantity. He wasn’t as far as I’m concerned. He could have played multiple roles in this team, and we’re not getting shit for his wages so what’s the point in shipping him out?

doubletrouble and Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are such a Mickey Mouse joke of a club. We continue to be run be complete imbeciles and the decisions they make are just comical at this point. We're essentially paying Sanchez to go away at a time where the only healthy CF we have is Rashford. Dropping two forwards this summer without signing replacements again shows upper management has no plan.

At this point they're just heaping pressure on kids to perform. You know what Greenwood doesn't need...to be thrust into a starting role before he's ready and face criticism of he doesn't perform. But he's one for injury to our front line away from that happening.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1166457223045963776 is not a valid tweet id

Anonymous_United and United 16 repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it's wage bill reduction for sure. which is fine.
    no one really wanted Lukaku, Fellaini or Sánchez to stay anyway

the lack of reinvestment is the issue. we'll have to get lucky injury wise to overcome it

jnielsen repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Been saying that Greenwood / kids needs to ease in as they are not ready... Ole is happy with it as he gets free pass for atleast a season ..

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    The club clearly has an intended direction by getting rid of Sanchez.

The message is that playing for United is an opportunity and privilege. Those who are here to stack checks are out. We shipped Rom, shipped Sanchez, let Herrera walk over wage demands (although I disagree with that one), and said no to Dybala based on his wants.

We are thin. But Ole is doing the right thing to get rid of players that don't want to win for the shirt. It's better to be thin and committed than fat with laziness.

I really believe that we will see a fairly decent outlay in the January window. I can see us bringing in both Longstaff and an attack minded 8/10, like Fernandes.

Right now we are seeing where players like McT, Fred, Pereira, and other squad players are at and what they can provide.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No problem with him going, problem is him & Lukaku going without replacements (same issue with Fellaini and Herrera).

It is not either / or - a club of our means and stature should and could have signed at least one replacement - even if we intend on giving some academy players a chance.

Having such a thin squad is reckless in the extreme.

1166465288721903617 is not a valid tweet id

16. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't shake the feeling that the main motivation here is just to get rid of the reminder of one of Woody's more high profile failures. This way nobody thinks about him or talks about him and there's your upside for Woody. Unless he's a real problem in the dressing room that's all I can think because there's no footballing logic here. The most likely outcome if he stayed was that he was totally useless of course, but for a few million pounds you obviously take the chance given how short we are of attackers of any pedigree.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most disappointing bit in this move, as far as I'm concerned, is that there is no obligation to buy next summer for Inter. If he does not rebound somehow this season, it will likely mean we're back being stuck with him (and with 2yrs left still on his contract). Not to mention that if he fails in Italy, he will become all but impossible to move.
    This is such a massive win for Marotta on so many levels: still get United to pay the bulk of Sanchez's salary and they take him on for this season, with zero risk on their part since they have the option to return him to us if he does not prove his worth.
    Eventhough getting rid of him now puts us under more pressure and reduces our margin of error (in terms of injuries to players up front), would have had absolutely no issue with that move if the terms were better in the club's favor. As it stands, the risk here is all United's still.

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We must be planning a big winter window. Ed had better get cracking on those deals now if he wants to get them over the line before Feb.

I'm elated Sanchez is gone, I don't care about the money at all. As JamesA said, addition by subtraction. I'll only be pissed off if we don't pick up a goalscoring 10 in Jan, but that's not affected by Sanchez leaving - he contributes worse than nothing. They're two separate concerns.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This whole situation was a cock up from the very beginning with Woodward giving that ludicrous contract. No other team wanted to touch him so this is just the way it's going to be until his contract runs out. Just paying him to stay away at some other club.

He's been absolutely shite so for those saying he's an extra body to have, have you actually seen him play in the last 12 months? Really, have you? I'd rather play with 10 than using that useless fck.

Of course Woodward should be fired for this disaster of a summer but for now we'll just sink or swim with what we have and the kids. I don't believe either that January is going to be a big window for us as some are suggesting. Why would January suddenly encourage Glazers/Woodward to start spending when we've just finished the summer window?

topnoevili and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  20. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    all this replacement talk... replacing what, exactly? that's how united got in this mess in the first place: going for available names (which are usually available for a reason). i don't want the icardis of the world as stop gaps.

this is a transition year and ole has walked the walk by benching jones, smalling, darmian, matic, rojo and allowing sanchez and lukaku to leave. let's see what the kids can do and add young, potential superstars like sancho.

21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Sancho isn't coming if we can't offer CL football.

Anonymous_United and Sofabloke repped this.
  22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Play Angel Gomes. But if Ole is going to keep playing Lingard, then I am going to have an issue with that.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    a lot of those folks are basing their assumptions of him magically coming good and contributing on him wanting to play for United. for a good while now there hasn't even been the slightest hint that he does.

rather not see dog shit cameo appearances as a sub. no more persisting with the failed experiment please and thank you

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You're seeing dog shit in the current team for 90 whole minutes. (Jesse, DDG, and Pogba vs Palace, Ashley Young)

Anonymous_United and thenamestsam repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An opinion on the Sanchez move...